Trolling/Downrigging/Leadcore Reel

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bondo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Trolling/Downrigging/Leadcore Reel

Post by Bondo »

Can you use any large open faced baitcast reel for trolling(dipsy-diver), downrigging and/or leadcore or do you need a different reel for each application? I am looking at the Okuma Convector CV30DLX with a line counter on it. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

I was considering getting 2 dipsy rigs several years ago, but that project never got past the point of research. I'll share my 2 cents with you. I had come to the conclusion that a "line counter" type reel was the only way to go. It would be like trying to use a downrigger without a cable counter on it. The counter is required for accuracy and repeatability. Okuma makes, or did make, several dipsy rods too. Below is a depth chart with a bit of info you might find handy and help you pick the right equipment for the type of fishing you plan to use the dipsy for.

http://www.luhrjensen.com/techreports/12DipsyDiver.pdf

Good luck,

DropShot'r
Bondo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

thanks

Post by Bondo »

Thank you for the info. Can I use a line counter reel for all applications meaning downrigging, dipsy diver, and lead core or do I need separate reels for each application?
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

The line counter reel and dipsy rod will make a seamless transition to the downrigger. Most lead core reels are just huge, they have to be to hold a lot of large diameter line. Most of the "long liners" I know have 2 spools (20 colors) of line on their reels and the rods look like pool cues with a roller tip or a spring tip. Wire & lead core line were the beginning of deep water trolling. It's a lot cheaper to get a leadcore rig than get into downriggers for sure. A leadcore rig is a good pick on fly in trips or humpin' a canoe back into a trout lake. Downriggers cost a good chunk of cash. I use downriggers. If I had got the dipsy rigs I had planned to get double rod holders for my downriggers just so the rods were in a solid rod holder. What do you plan to fish for and where?

DropShot'r
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

Line counter's are definatly the way to go as the others pointed out. for the Lead Core a line counter reel is not neccessary as you count colors and not line out. Pick yourself up a Penn 209 or 309 they are fairly cheap and work well. You can get 5 colors on the 209 with a good amount of backing and the 309 will hold 10 colors. For your dypsey's , it's a good idea to go with Wire or Braided line as it doesn't have the strech that mono does and you will be able to release your divers easily. Many folks use Mono line for there rigger rods as the line strech comes in handy when a big Salmon crushes your bait. You can use Braided line off the riggers as well. Tie a small amount of floro lead on, set your line further back in the release clip so you get less false releases, and set your drag a little loser than you would your mono while the rod is in the holder.
Good luck
Rob