Backcountry Lakers - Tips needed!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Backcountry Lakers - Tips needed!

Post by tinbanger »

Planning a trip this weekend into a lake in the valley that we typically focus on Smallies but would love to spend a few hours looking for lakers as it is a stocked lake as from what I can see half the boats seem to be fishing ( trolling) for lakers.

With no downriggers or lead core what's my best option ?
Bottom bouncers and spoons ?
Trolling speed ?

Small but deep ( 100 fooT plus) lake .

Appreciate any info and promise a report next week :)

TB
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

couple of options. the depths may be off depending on where this lake actually is. some lakes further north, the lakers are only 40-60 ft down and others you need to go 100ft to find em.

1) troll a spoon as slow as you can (1-2 km/h) deep ... use lead weights (1oz +) to get it down. I use the clip on snap weights when no downrigger sometimes 1-2 oz in summer, 3/4 oz in fall as they move up and eventually no weight in just before season ends. The trick is moving slow and many boats will not troll down.
I like the little cleos, but also the sutton spoons which have good action even when slow.

Only problem is that you may end up with lots of line out to get deep and with downrigger boats in the area, you need to be careful they don't run you over.

If you can get the bottom bouncers down deep enough they will work too and in addition to spoons, you can use rapalas minnow baits.

2) jig and white tube... this works better when lakers are up higher so depending on lake temps you may need to be very patient . drop tube to bottom pull up and pump a few times, if nothing reel in a bit and repeat. This also works with jigging spoons like the crippled herring.

good luck.
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Thanks for the reply JSDX will give it a try .

Plan on slow troll with electric ( bringing spare battery) as my main motor won't go slow enough. Also have access to a canoe , so once I know some depths may give that a try .

Will report next week

TB
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

Tinbanger I have been fishing lakers this year with 1 1/2 oz. keel weight on fireline with a small flasher (could use a large spoon instead) and followed by 2-3' of line then your choice of bait. I have even used this method on an ultralite in my canoe with success(laker almost spooled me :roll: ). Should be good to 80' or deeper with more weight. Troll slow and watch your rig beside the boat for the right speed should just kick back and frth.
Thats all I got good luck!
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Enjoy ......

Post by D-mo »

From some dudes who do lakers in Algonquin:
http://www.laketrout.org/algonquin-trou ... -canoe.htm

D-mo