Hoo-Ha, Griffin's is a commin!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Hoo-Ha, Griffin's is a commin!

Post by Joisey Joe »

Well my trip to Gan Lake is on da 25th, fishin 24/7 fo 3 plus days is my idea of paradise. So I'm goin afta does toothy critters that are soo much fun to net, the beautiful Northerns. Got any tips for me, gonna go wit mostly lures this time out so what's your "killer" pike lure?? Man I can't wait. Griffin's here we come! :D 8) :P
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I can feel your excitement, Joe! :lol: Nothing like the anticipation of the trip; it's almost as good as being there (but not quite)!

I mentioned this in a few other threads, but since you're asking...

I've discovered that a Bomber Long A seems to entice the spring pike with its nice wobbly action; it can really be retrieved pretty slow or actually paused and twitched, if necessary, to tempt the still-sluggish post spawn pike. Found this lure to be especially good on the chillier days when they might not be interested in putting on a big chase for their meal. A Johnson Silver Minnow tipped with a plastic grub is good, too; this is what I'd consider a lazier bait.

If they're cooperating with a quicker bait, I always like my bigger spinnerbaits and classic Daredevles. There was a year or so when all I would use for pike were "Beetlespins" tipped with either rubber shads or grubs. I liked the larger hammered nickel Colorado blade with this rig, which was always good to me.

How's that for a few ideas? :lol: C&R the big boyz, Joe, so if I ever get back to Griffin's there will be some left for me. :wink: I hope you also can find a few pockets of crappies there; we had so much fun with them one spring and were catching slab after slab with the kids. Tons of fun!

Have a blast! Are you going to meet up with any other Hawk Talkers while you're there? I know you had a fun gathering last spring.

W.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Thanx for da tips Wolfe, I don't have a Bomber A in my arsenal but I'll get it fri when my bro Mike comes out to my turf to check out a few fish shops! Can I ask what color works for u? Ya, I'm all tinggly with anticipation, I wait for it every year!
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Hey Joe,

I've got the tendancy to throw spinnerbaits for northerns, ignoring other lures that'd possibly do the same or better. I've just had better success on them. Many colours seem to work for me but I've always loved solid white, red, or combo's of both.

I'm going to try to use other lures this year and break the cycle of "go to" lures. I've got a whackload that haven't even touched water because of this.

Good Luck!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Joe,

I don't recall the actual name of the color on the box, but the lure is kind of a goldish-bronze with a darker back. I don't usually go in for the wild colors, but prefer the natural shades. Brian has one in a fire-tiger type of color, but it didn't do as well as the natural.

Keep on tingling! :wink:

W.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

KPin, ur not the only 1 to tell me that, Spinner likes the white 1's also. I've got a few and will try em out. Has any1 tryed the jointed shad-rap? Picked up 1 and can't wait to get it wet. Wolfe, I'll look for it, guess there is always 1 more lure to buy! :lol:
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

If you're hittin them in shalloow water (8 feet and less) try an un-weighted zoom super-fluke rigged texas on a 3/0 worm hook. Twitch it along within a foot of the surface nice and slow. They can't help themselves!
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

OK Net I'll give it a go!
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

Hey Joe How she go
I remember the days when all we used was a red devil for pike.
I cant remember the name but a silver spoon with 2 red beads always works well for me.
It has a real great flash from the sun as it spins.
Heddon crazy crawler, although small has attracted a few toothy guys too aspecially when dropped in near the bank and reeled back to the boat.
My thoughts
Norm
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Thanx Normie, how's ya been? Will give it a try, what da heck, I think I know of the lure you mentioned. Never seen the crazy crawler though, what da heck is it??
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

Morning Joe
It is made by heddon
It has 2 wings on the side that flutter when pulled.
Have a great trip
Norm
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

I'll look for it, thanx again, Joe.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Joe,

Here is a Heddon Crazy Crawler...it's been around for a while (like you) :wink: ... that means a "classic". :D

Believe the other lure Norm is talking about is the Eppinger Red Eye...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

W.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Thanx Wolfe, cudn't find it at the tackle shops I went to today but did pick up a firetiger Bomber A!
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

We have a few Crazy Crawlers the 2 3/8" size in Bullfrog