This means STAY OFF!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

This means STAY OFF!!

Post by Jackel »

I was just reading this on line and can't believe that even after what happened last year someone did it again. But this time he got lucky.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... fcb26f&k=0

Jackel 8)
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

In my humble opinion, another example of a pet owner who thinks the leash law does not apply to them.
blackbear
Participant
Participant

Post by blackbear »

The man is lucky to be alive
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

OK, it's back up.
topraider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topraider »

What people will do for their dogs.. I've never had one, so I've never been there.

Years ago I was ice fishing with a friend and his dog just above the bridge at billings bridge on the Rideau, and his dog runs off to chase some ducks, and falls into open water. It can't get out. So my buddy, who weighs 250 pounds, crawls right up to the edge and pulls it out. Still gives me the willies.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Lucky to be alive :shock:
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

I have known that man since he was a baby, and he is a craftsman with wood but real short on common sense. :roll: Most pet owners (and some non owners) would go after their pet, I have seen pics of loons trapped and deer as well and people will go to extremes to save their lives, jeapordizing their own in the process. I think for most it is a reaction to a situation, reacting without thought.
Norm
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Man vs The Elements Mother Nature Lady Luck and 1 Stupid Dog

Post by Kpin »

*NARRATOR* (with one of those really cool deep voices)
In a world that sometimes doesn't make sense. Where reality is twisted beyond logic and comprehension. Where Paris Hilton can actually be a celebrity yet moronic and useless simultaneously. There is an alternate reality. Welcome to...THE TWILIGHT ZONE... or SO YOU THOUGHT TWICE ABOUT KICKING YOUR DOG....(The producer hasn't decided yet on the title).

*ACTUAL VICTIM, ACTUALLY WILLING TO TELL HIS STORY*
I will sadly, grudingly tell this true story in the hopes it will save someone in the future. Give a good laugh. Or actually win me something for such a bizzaro story. Inspired by Jackels, "That means STAY OFF" thread. There are no known photographs of this and I THANK GOD :!: Again, this IS a true story, (you can't make up cr@p like this).

The Spring meltdown is in full swing, the waters churn and tempestuously flow where it is normaly calm and my dog, faithfull companion, mans best friend goes to the waters edge, for a drink of water. CREAK...CRACK...A 5 foot chunk of ice cracks and starts floating away in the torrent of rapidly flowing water. Dog starts to freak and in obvious distress, "barks" at master to help.

(This is where man becomes stupider than animal).

Owner and superior lifeform, man, takes a slow-mo, hollywood movie scene, jump accross the raging water onto the iceflow.

*ORCHESTRA*
Cool, heavy duty music for effect and dramatic effect playing.

Landing with impressive grace considering the distance of the ice, speed of the water and of course the idiot dog that almost knocks man off the iceflow, jumping on him with obvious releif.

The man is (obnoxiously), impressed with his athletic ability, courage, reckless abandon and overall heroism. He stands, dusts the snow off himself and smiles at his faithfull, yet stupid companion, mans best friend.

Then, as realization slowly slips in, is not so impressed with his own OBVIOUS stupidity.

He watches as the bank disapears quickly in the distance while the raging spring water rapids carry the small island of ice away at an alarming rate.

In mere seconds he is easily 30 feet from shore. His faithfull compainion looks up at him with trust, whimpering, knowing, surely his master is in complete control and all is safe. The man looks down at his dog and utters with disgust, "you retarded mutt."

Man, with absolutely no recourse and the riverbank, still rapidly fading further away, sits down on the large piece of ice and contemplates his fate.

He also meanwhile, considers evil ways to punish the idiot dog, should all turn out well, while attempting his VERY best to ignore people on their waterfront property, calling for others. Most common one liner was;

*USELESS EXTRA HEARD AND NOT SEEN TO AVOID PRODUCTION COST*
"Honey, get over here and grab the kids, you're NOT gonna beleive this one! Yeah, you heard me! Yes, I'm serious, there's a freaking guy with his dog surfing the river on a chunk of ice! No, I told you before, I stopped smoking that stuff!"

SO, there sits man. Conquerer of land, sea and space in all his might and glory. Powerlessly raging down river with his IDIOTIC, yet faithfull companion. Man attempts to use the superior mind God gave him that allowed him to walk upright, harness fire, the wheel, create society and survive the primordial ooze of prehistoric times.

Man has an incredibly amazing thunderbolt of an idea hit him :!: :idea: :!:
Then frowns as he realizes pushing the dog off the ice and holding on to it's tail for animal powered motor will miserably fail due to amazingly strong current. He suddenly feels as smart as his ancestral neandrethal family of old, feebily attempting to ward off a T-Rex with a small pointy stick.

Man is :( Man is :x Man is also this close :twisted: to strangling his faithfull companion. Let's just say it like it is...MAN IS REALLY, REALLY F@CKING pee pee :!:

Then the clouds break open, the sun shines down. In an amazing turn of events the current, diverted by a fallen log, is changes flow and the chunk of ice slices toward the riverbank :!: The riverbank is approaching a distance that the man is thinking he can attempt another amazingly impressive jump to safety.

(He looks down at his faithfull compainion, scowls and decides he really doesn't give a flying f@ck about the retarded dog anymore).

Man stands...licks his lips. Visually gauges the distance of the upcoming jump, is once again brave, valliant and superhuman and smiles, mockingly in the face of danger.

With a deep breath man starts the 2 stride run for momentum he has to work with, preparing to dive and leap to safety. At this moment, his faithfull companion, OBVIOUSLY, NOT giving an ounce of concern for faithfull master, seizes the opportunity, making a dashing leap to safety, tripping the man and making him land on his face eating ice and snow as it cuts his face and almost capsizing the small island of ice.

(Triumphant music plays as)... Mans faithfull companion successfully reaches safety!

Man is :D thinking Faithfull companion, mans best friend, will undoubtedly go for help in Lassie like fashion. His canine compainion is overjoyed and happily runs along the riverbank, following his master, for over a good km. Man, repeatedly curses at dog to get help, even throwing the occasional snowball at the mongrel, who stupidly stops to eat them, as his kind master get's again dragged out to the middle of the river and the man thinks to self, "I hate that (^*%**&&)(%^&%!! dog :!:

Dog disapears at some point, growing weary of the game of Chase The Master. The man in another twist of fate is diverted towards the bank again and manages to leap up to an overhanging tree branch, scrambling to safety as it creaks and cracks, complaining under his weight. Man, quickly traverses branch, hand over hand and flings himself off of it a fraction of a second b4 it breaks and falls into the water.

(Indiana Jones, hero music plays),
Man, drops from branch, hitting the ground hard on his chest and face as the treebranch cracks and begins it's own trip down the raging river.

Man smiles to self, having beaten the elements, fought the river and Mother Nature, defied fate itself, saved mans best friend heroically, (& in mans opinion, feats of athleticism of Olympian calabre and remains unscathed!

(De-climatic, all is well, music begins to play)...

What do YOU think happened next?
Faithfull companion, mans best friend, comes to his side, lovingly thanking him for his dangerous and selfless act?

Faithfull companion, mans best friend, has decided squirell chasing was more fun than watching master possibly drift all the way to the Parliament buildings, to suffer more mockery and possible tourist photographs?

Faithfull companion, mans best friend, has returned the favour and brought help?

NO!

Master of land, sea, air and yes, even space, lays panting like a maniac, panicked, cut and bleeding, frantically eating snow to parch his throat dried from the extreme adventure and glances off to the other side of the river, where the spectators children are STILL laughing, (yet still disappointed they couldn't throw their snowballs far enough to hit him and knock him in the water)....

Faithfull companion, mans best friend...has long since returned home and waits by his foodbowl, confused as to where his master is and why he isn't fed yet.

STUPID ^#$^**(%&*&*(! Dog :!: :twisted:

Again, true story. I now understand why MrJ. and I found a dog, bloated and floating in the Rideau this past summer. I wonder when my Faithfull companion, mans best friend, friggin' retard mutt of a dog had puppies?
Abraxus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Mans best friend!

Post by Abraxus »

Obviously by the responses I have read here, not one of you who have responded have ever owned a dog. If perhaps you did, I pity the animal. Dogs are not just disposable objects for merely your amusement. Those that have had dogs and that know what pleasure and joy they bring to ones life would see no issue in taking such risks to save it. A dog is just as much a part of your life and family as a child. If you think otherwise then you should not consider owning one. As for leashes... I respect leash laws and abide by them, but consider how you would feel if everytime you took one of your kids out, you had to tie a choke chain around its neck . better yet, put it around your own neck and see how it feels. If the right kind of people owned dogs (that being the responsible ones) leash laws would not be necessary. Unfortunately our animals have to suffer as a result of the neglegence of bone heads! The reality being, my dog behaves a lot better then a good majority of the kids I see these days that are not leashed and perhaps should be!

Abraxus
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I own a dog and she is trained but if I take her for a walk she is on a leash, but she walks beside me and the leash never chokes her.

Every dog should be on a leash when walked unless you are walking in a fenced in yard. Natural instincts will always be there and could come out at any time. I would rather have a dog being uncomfortable with a leash than a child with 35 stitches to close up a gash from a dog bite.

Abraxus you might be a dog owner but do you have kids???

Dan aka WB

Plus it is a law to have your dog on a leash.
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

Abraxus,

I don't think anyone here cares about your dog and I think it may be you that needs a choker but around your mouth. :roll:

And you sound like a leaf fan :twisted:
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

You can't guarantee that nothing will happen if your dog is off its leash.

Here's a simple test to see if your dog is as well behaved as you think.

While he's eating, reach into his bowl and take his food. Will he let you? Do you still have all your fingers? If he lets you, then your lucky to have such a good dog.

Besides if your dog is off its leash, runs into traffic and gets hit by a car. Who's fault is it?

And the kid factor has been mentionned.

I use to have a dog but she died of old age.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Abraxus read my post here for another point of view, http://fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic ... 326#199326

Btw, it was very little time ago indeed that children, were infact harnessed and leashed.

Infact watched video footage just this eve from WW2 years, showing various cities in Canada at the time. I was amused to see a young girl of about 4 harnessed and leashed, though, I'd heard, this used to be common practice, so upon reading your post, I was amazed by the conincidence and amused simultaneously.

Our pets do infact become almost like children to us, HOWEVER, given my experience, I've learned, although dear to us, are not = to the loss of human life, (even if they happen to be politicians or lawyers).
Abraxus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Response

Post by Abraxus »

Wallyboss I do have a kid, cept mine happens to be a 100lb Rottweiler! lol As for leashing dogs, I in almost every case have my dog leashed. With the exception of course, of when in off leash parks or in the bush. Since I usually go to an off leash park every single day, my dog spends a great deal of its time off the leash and socializing with other dogs, people and children. My personal oppinion on the matter is quite simple...if someone is considering owning a dog, they should insure that they have areas like this near their homes or a sizable property to accomodate the excercise needs of that said dog. A tired dog is a healthy, happy and well behaved dog. I spend a great deal of time training with my dog. It isnt a passing fancy for me. She is a part of the family and therfore there are great expectations placed on her to act in a certain way. One cannot say that their dog is well trained unless it has been exposed to every concievable environment and is conditioned to act correctly when faced with new situations.

As for the article above, the unfortunate reality of this story is that these people were responsible for that misshap. If your dog cannot be called back on command when faced with distractions such as squirrels, ducks and so forth, it isnt well trained and should not be let off a leash in an area where there are such obvious risks. That being said, you often hear of people running back into a burning house to retrieve a peice of jewellery, family momentos and even "God for bid" a bloody X-Box! Therefore, I don't see how someone risking their necks for an animal that they love is so shocking.

K-Pin- Funny story! In Newfoundland they call that tippy panning! Kids do that same ice pan dance for fun during the spring break up! All you would have needed was a good cloths line pole to help get from one pan to the next! lol As for losing a person close to me...hasnt happened. Thank God! I have on the other hand have lost a dog and it definately was no walk in the park! (excuse the pun)

Jackel...Leaf fan??? God for bid! I dont think I have ever been so insulted! lol Just for making such a lude comment I can only equate that if brains were dynamite you wouldnt have enough to blow your own nose! lol Just joking dude! Someone just told me a good joke thats sort of relavent...."Why do all Torontonians drink thier coffee from Mugs? Cuz all the cups are in Montreal! lol "I am not a Habs fan either by the way"

Abraxus
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Good for you Abraxus....But who do you cheer for??? I do not own a dog and have been mauled by one when I was a kid and I do believe in leashing your dog...but the points Abraxus made are valid...If you can not control your dog in all situations..like kids...then they are not well trained dogs. The dog that mauled me was on a leash, broke off and started to attack me cause I was screaming(that was probably the problem)...anyway 25 needles in the stomach later(did not know if it had rabis) I was better but never the same with dogs. Now back to this article...if it was my dog I might run out onto the ice to save him but only if it was safe for me to do so...I also could not sit there and watch my dog drown to death so I would want to do all I could.