Trolling Motor for a Canoe

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
-Smitty-
Participant
Participant

Trolling Motor for a Canoe

Post by -Smitty- »

Just wondering if anyone has experience with using a trolling motor side mounted on a canoe. I have a chance to get a cheap Minn Kota that is in good condition but was wondering what pound thrust i would need for a 16 foot canoe.

any help is greatly appreciated.

THanks
Smitty
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Buzzer »

Not sure the min/max recommended but I'm using a Minn Kota 36lbs thrust no problem and my canoe is a Scott Wilderness fiberglass model.

Hope this help a bit.

Buzzer
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

WEN i was younger.. :roll: . i use to have a sporspal and i had only a 17 pound min kota and it did the job.

but wen realy windy it was a bit more tricky..but still did the job. but a little biger would not hurt.... :wink: .

now i try my 30pound on my canoe i have now.....and its goes pretty fast at full speed.

good bud.

joco
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Thrust ...

Post by D-mo »

I have a 14 ft. Sportspal .. that wieghs about 40lbs.
Last year I purchased a old 24lb thrust and it pushed it along pretty darn good ...GPS'ed it at 5 miles per hour on med speed. This year I moved up to a 34 lb Minn Kota... will give me more options on speeds/better trolling speed and allow a little more "umph" to get off the water incase of a storm.

Good fishin'

d-mo
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D I have a 16' sportspal. I used a 50lb thrust with two adults its a little slow going up river currents..but on a lake it skoots!
OTRA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OTRA »

Even a small motor used in conjunction with paddling helps alot. You can make your own bracket using a couple 2X4's and a 1X6. The real question is how big a battery do you want to lug around.
-Smitty-
Participant
Participant

Post by -Smitty- »

thanks for the help....my canoe is 16 feet....the motor is a 30 lbs thrust....what size battery should i be looking at...i wont be using to get from place to place....only to troll once i have paddled to where i want to be...

thanks again
smitty
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Buzzer »

I bought a Marine Master Deep Cycle (310-DC-225) and I've ran it really low a few times but that was after spending most of the day trolling.

It weighs about 60 pounds but helps balancing out the canoe as I put it up front.

Buzzer