Fluro Carbon Leaders?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bobby Shimano
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fluro Carbon Leaders?

Post by Bobby Shimano »

Can you please explain to me all about using a fluro carbon leader?
Both good and bad points.
Thanks in advance.
Jair
Participant
Participant

Post by Jair »

Hey Grover,

Generally florocarobon line is less visible underwater than most lines and has less stretch than monofilament.(also less line memory)

Havn't found many disadvantages w/t it. Due to it's brittleness, I wouldn't go any higher than 8 lb if using it as a main line on spinning gear.

Cheers
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Fluorocarbon leaders do not carry light, so they virtually disappear in water.They are also much more cut and abrasion resistant than mono.They are less likely to injure a fish during the battle, a steel leader will cut or damage a fish where fluorocarbon won't.
I personally haven't had any bad issues come up with them.

Matt
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

How often is fluro used as a main line? Is it not because of price / brittleness?
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dana »

i like IT!!
be sure to test the knot
and pull tight while wet..
Muskie4L
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskie4L »

I have use the same 3 foot leader for one full season trolling large muskie lures, and have uses 2 casting leaders in the same time.

and like Matt said they don't damage the fish as much :D

Ted
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

I have never heard of "brittleness" with FC leaders, in fact they are as tough as it gets. The only drawback I see to useing high test FC is the diameter.
I have tied 30' of 25LB FC to 50lb PowerPro with a double uni and used it for walleye at BOQ.

Like wise when I go for Lakers , I tie a 10' leader on to PP as well.

However using 30lb or higher FC as a main line would be not practicle.

Usually a 12" to 4' leader is adequate for all fresh water angling.

Matt
Spoonman
Participant
Participant

Excellent for Toothy Fish

Post by Spoonman »

Early in last year's bassin' season, I switched from craptacular 12" wire leaders to Seaguar fluorocarbon leader material. I've found multiple pros and, to date, no cons. Here's my take on it:
  • :arrow: It's very abrasion-resistant, which is a bonus when fishing in rough bottom structure, around zebra mussels, and/or in pike/muskie waters.

:arrow: It's invisible in water.

:arrow: One ties it oneself (& thus has confidence in the knots).

:arrow: It's versatile: use it as part of a leader system of swivel-fluoro-snap, as well as tying it directly to your main line and/or hook.

:arrow: It's an excellent compromise for those who usually fish leader-free in pike-inhabited waters. That is to say, instead of getting bit off by pike while fishing a tube or grub w/ jig tied directly onto your line, fr'instance, you can put a fluorocarbon lead onto your mono or braid and then tie the jig to the fluoro. I have yet to get bit off by a pike while fishin' with fluorocarbon.
My current spool is 23lb test, but next time around I'll beef it up to 45lb (fishin' M to MH tackle.) If I had flippin' or muskie gear I'd go with 60-80lb.

The only con I can really imagine is that you just gotta pay attention to the knots and, after a while, the condition of the leader itself. Especially after fishing some rough bottom structure or going through a few toothy fish. But really, that's basic tackle care and maintenance IMHO. ;)
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Excellent for Toothy Fish

Post by wolfe »

spoonman wrote:

:arrow: One ties it oneself (& thus has confidence in the knots).
Unless of course your me, and you have absolutely NO confidence in your own knots. :roll:

Good thread and good info.

W.
1MoreCast
Participant
Participant

Post by 1MoreCast »

From what I have seen and caught, FC leaders are better then wire when fishing for muskie. I have not had any problem with the leaders I have been using. Three foot trolling and two foot casting, thanks Chris. As for the main line, I used it last year at the Gouin and had the best year of catching walleye ever.
Bobby Shimano
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bobby Shimano »

Thank you all for your comments.
So in further reading in my Bass pro catalog, they do sell flurocarbon line to be used as main line. They sell an XPS signature series promoted by Kevin Van Dam.
They do sell lots of leaders also.
So in our line the less knots we have the better it is.
As is everything we have and do, its all about personal preferance, due to trials and errors. For me more errors than trials.
Im always learning...

Grover.
Lookinforlunkers
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lookinforlunkers »

For me, pretty much all pros and no cons. If I had to come up with one bad point it would be that quality (seagar) floro is a little expensive.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

never understood the reason for a flourocarbon leader until tonight.

Thanx guys :wink:
now just a question after reading a thread on knots, which is the best one to use :roll: to attach the leader

Bear
Lookinforlunkers
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lookinforlunkers »

I think it was Matt that said a double uni, this would be your best bet for conecting to the main line. If you want to tie to a swivel ect. use the knot you would normally use for mono just make sure it is wet

I use from 80 to 130 pound test, so a double barrel leader sleeve is the ticket. Buggers are hard to find though (good time for suggestions :wink: )
Crusty
Participant
Participant

Post by Crusty »

A double what?

I picked up a 25 yard spool of 85lb the other day and tried to tie my own leaders That stuff is near impossable to tie my regular nots with... Has there ever been a thread on how to tie your own leaders?

BTW its a buck a yard at lebarons