Accident at Petrie??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Accident at Petrie??

Post by Tip-up »

SUV went through somewhere around Petrie? Anyone know anything more about this??
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:shock: I drive one of those..and they arent heavy so must be some real thin ice.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

This could have had a different outcome for sure :shock:

It's my opinion that time of day, age and level of experience played a factor in what could have easily been a tradegy here. Glad to see the young lad make it out alive.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

That sucks. Good thing he got out alright...
In the spring, do they bother pulling out cars that have gone through?
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

The guy had no idea where his buddies Shack was and he went up the channel where the culverts are from Walleye Bay.

He just didn't know, everywhere else at Petrie is safe.
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

oops

Post by Seabass81 »

Well i heard about this this mourning and thought it was probably by champlain. Well I was wrong. The car went through about 100 yards from the culverts beside our docks.

I am happy nobody got hurt, but here is the common sense? 1 in the mourning ,alone and driving blind? There was no other tracks and open water at the culverts was visable.

This is a reminder not to take ice for granted. Doesnt matter if youre a seasoned vet or a noob. Ice can be dangerous.

everybody be safe and remember. Ice testers are found in spring

seabass
topraider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topraider »

Well, the insurance isn't going to cover this, and there will be costs of a few thousand to pay for the removal of the vehicle (no you can't leave it there).

Expensive lesson indeed. 25-30K hole in his pocket. I bet he's grounded for a few days anyway.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

topraider wrote:Well, the insurance isn't going to cover this, and there will be costs of a few thousand to pay for the removal of the vehicle (no you can't leave it there).

Expensive lesson indeed. 25-30K hole in his pocket. I bet he's grounded for a few days anyway.
To be honest, I don't give a toss about the financial damage sustained by this guy. I care more about all that gas and oil leaking into the river :( .
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Seabass81 »

According to the officer i spoke with he said they would probably have to wait till ice out to remove this. We are trying to find a way to get the process sped up. Not only due to the risk of leakage but in the spring i always have customers get mad cuz they hit a stump or a shole or a rock. How do i explain they lost there lower unit to a rav 4.

I will keep everybody posted. We will try to get the proper authorities to speed up here before jig-head starts marking structure for next years tourneys,

seabass
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

must have been very scary adventure for the boy..to be in that situation on ice and at wen back home wit the parents,,,,, :shock: :? .

but the main thing he is ok.

but mabe without weels for a little time... :roll:

they should go get that truck right now...can t be that bad to get it..unles the curent is realy strong....but it wont be better there in spring ,then the current will be like.wow, :shock: .

accident happen fast.

people be carefull.

joco
Jair
Participant
Participant

Post by Jair »

From what I've heard he or his parents face an additional $10,000 fine if the vehicle is not removed within 48 hrs. (Eniroment Canada enforces the
fine....not 100% sure)
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HO

its already been more the 48h..... :shock:

I dont why they dont do it right now.......its not far frome shore...it is far frome the road do.... :?

but if they wait till april .the current there will be :shock: .

the hole is frozen now...we could see yesterday where he went in.aprox.but now its all frozen again(no more hole).

joco :?
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

1. Sounds like a Darwin Award hopeful - he did not make it this time but unless he smartens up a whole lot he will next time.

2. I am surprised MOE allowed the vehicle to stay put - perhaps they were not apprised of it. My very clear understanding is that the vehicle comes out ASAP to minimize the amount of pollutants that will be released into the water. And the condition of the vehicle after the recovery operation is NOT a consideration. I know this to have been true on Lake Temagami at least a decade ago, and on the Bay of Quinte perhaps six years ago. In both cases the vehicles were basically totalled by the recovery operations.

3. 0115 and the kid was sober? Sure thing, officer...... :roll:

Doug