Congrats JP

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Congrats JP

Post by Markus »

I just wanted to say congrats to JP for putting together such a great event for Cancer at Petrie Islands. I came across this article and wanted to tip my hat to you for a job well done.
Petrie Island ice fishing derby raises $3,500 for Canadian Cancer Society
By Fred Sherwin
Orléans Online

About 160 avid ice fisherman converged on Petrie Island on Satrurday to take part in the first annual "Fish for a Cure" ice fishing derby to raise funds for the Canadian Cancer Society.

Liam Moreau gets some pointers on ice fishing from his grandfather Bob Moreau who has been ice fishing near Petrie Island to for the past 35 years. Fred Sherwin/Photo

-- -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ice fishing derby was the brainchild of J.P. Ostiguy who wanted to raise money for the Canadian Cancer Society in honour of a friend who recently recovered from cancer surgery.

"It's about the community of anglers coming together to do something for a friend and raise a few dollars," said Ostiguy.

After deciding to organize an ice fishing derby, Ostiguy had to pick a site. Petrie Island has been a popular ice fishing location almost since forever. Bob Moreau has been ice fishing in the island's bay for the past 35 years. He taught his son Shaun how to ice fish when he was a boy and is now passing his knowledge on to his five-year-old grandson Liam.

Not that Liam needs any tips. The youngster won a fishing derby two years ago when he caught six perch. He was only three at the time.

"You can't beat it. I just love it," says Shaun Moreau. "I work a lot during the summer so I do most of my fishing during the winter. It's a great way to spend the weekend."

After deciding when and where to hold the "Fish for a Cure" derby, Ostiguy approached Oziles' Marina, Bait and Tackle Shop owner Yves Grandmaitre who provided him with tents, electricity and a location.

The fishing derby was divided into a competitive division and a non-competitive division. In the competitive division there were two categories, one for walleye and one for pike.

The pike competition was won by Mark Messier whose winning entry was 30 and a half inches long. Second place went to Dan Champagne at 28 inches.

The winner of the walleye competition was Bill Bratt who won by a quarter inch over Eric Rolly with a catch that measured 19 and three-quarter inches.

Bratt used to go ice fishing 40 years ago as a boy. He started the practice up again last year as a way to spend his weekends after retiring. When asked what his secret was in winning the fishing derby, he simply chalked it up to "beginner's luck".

"I'm a hard core walleye fisherman in the summer. I used to go downhill skiing with my wife in the winter, but we stopped a couple of years ago so I started going ice fishing. I love it. I love being outside. I love the whole process," says Bratt.

The Oziles' Marina Bait and Tackle has been catering to ice fishermen for years offering everything from bait to hut rentals. A basic hut rents for $50 or $60 a day. An ice fishing package which includes the hut, a heater, bait, jigs, holes and tip lines goes for $100 a day.

According to Grandmaitre, a lot of people who ice fish have jobs that limit their ability to fish during the summer such as construction workers and trades people.

Then there are other people who ice fish on the odd weekend depending on the weather. Typically, a father might bring his kids or they'll make it a family affair.

"It's a great way to spend the day especially on weekend like this," says Grandmaitre.

For more information or to reserve a shack in advance you can call the Oziles' Bait and Tackle Shop at 613-841-0778.
I was to a FH fundraiser at Petrie a few years back and I really enjoyed it. Good to see you carrying on that great spirit. Organizing group events can have it's challanges, but the end rewards for your hard work is always worth it.

Good on ya JP. Nice work.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :!:
bts
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Derby

Post by bts »

Congrats JP!!!
Badger Bait
Participant
Participant

Post by Badger Bait »

I'm not sure how to word this, because yes JP did a fantastic job at the derby but it was not a ONE MAN show, it was a GROUP EFFORT, a COLLABORATION of ideas. This is not a shot at JP, but obviously the reporter did not do his job properly! A lot of people made the derby happen (interesting how Kpin is not even mentioned except as "a friend"). I guess that's why he's a reporter for the Orleans online and not the Citizen!
Sorry for the rant, but I know what some of these guys had to go through to get the derby organized and that article pee pee me off.
bts
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

derby

Post by bts »

:? Congrats JP and Gang!!!!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

:lol: You da man JP

If anything, I think the members from Fish-Hawk should be mentioned as the ''brainchild'' for this event..I recall a few months back posting a thread as to why there wasn't going to be a fish for Christie Lake Kids Camp this winter, and if there was, why havn't we heard anything on the event yet? A lot of members were wondering the same thing and came to the conclusion that we mind as well get one going...A comitee was formed as well as the planning of an event to raise money for cancer. The inspiration, our known friend Paulo :D Many great sponsors stepped up to theplate too. Without them...no tourney..In the end the day went off without a hitch :wink: JP and the guys did a heck of a job putting this Derby together :!:

Next year the size of the derby will double :D More time to prepare and more time to get the word out...You can count me in the next Fish for a cure Tournament :P

-Andrew
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

WOW!!!!!!!!! The only thing they did not mention about JP is his corn roast :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JP, the one man show :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jackel 8)
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I thought the corn was for catching those brown trout in that hole.... :twisted: Joco dont you use corn to bait the area for carp..or should I say crap.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

????? :evil:
:?: :?: :?: :?: Wow did he gets the facts wrong LOL
Thanks for the nice words Marcus, but really it was not me that came up with the idea and nor was it me that was the brain child behind this. Thanks should go out to all the orgainzers with a special thanks to Badger, Joco, Bobber, Almont, Jackle,Yves and of course KPin for the event. With out them the event would not have happened. I was just the media guy and public relations person nothing more.
The only thing that the reporter got right was my quote about a group of anglers LOL.

Sorry to everyone for this, the reporter didn't get the facts right. I was part of the committee and did my part to help. Badger was the guy who brought everything together in the final days. He deserves the biggest pat on the back.

I will write the paper to make sure they correct the issue.

Thanks JP
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hey jp....... :P

wen you call them mabe tell them to do a little change the winners names to.......there some mistake in the winners name..... :roll: :oops: :? .

first place ...PIKE... mark macey.............AKA ICEMAN..30.5inch

second place....pike... DON CHAMPAGNE..28 inch

first place...walleye... BILL BRATT....AKA ERIE-EYES...19.75inch

seconde place...walleye...ERIC RILEY...AKA...THE FISHSTICK.....19.5inch

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

just one thing...

it was a great team effort (derby)

i am proud off what the guys done.......great derby

mistake are humans.

joco
Last edited by joco on Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

I would advise all to let cooler heads prevail in this respect as the "journalist" may have not have gotten all the facts or collected the facts and wrote the article as he saw fit.

I'm sure the overwhelming mention of Oziles and JP was an honest mistake and will be rectified with a reprinting actually mentioning the name of the derby and the many dedicated committee members that all made the event the success it was.

Again, we as a small angling community can hold our head high and be very proud of what we accomplished.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Thanks K-Pin. I have emailed the Orleans Online and requested a correction to be made with the full correct name of the derby, that it was a committee of local anglers who organized the event , and the correct spelling of the winning pike and walleye participants.
I will keep you all updated on the situation.
thanks
JP
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

I am still amazed that Mark Messier came up to fish the outing and won!
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

JP I appreciate the kind words but I would just like to say that no one person desevers the biggest pat on the back, yes alot of stuff was done in the final days leading up to it, but this was a group effort. We all deserve a pat on the back. I really am not sure what went wrong with this article but it definitely is not factual in alot of ways.

I must remind everyone that this was not a sanctioned event by any particular business or person. This was started for one reason, K-pin was diagnosed with cancer and one individual who is a member of this site suggested we do a derby to raise funds for cancer research. Several of us who know K-PIN stepped forward and volunteered. We are very greatful to " Fish-Hawk " for allowing us to promote this event we put together. Also Bobbers help in setting us up a private committee forum for us to communicate and helping us along the way.Without his help regarding organization it would have been alot more difficult to achieve.

Also K-PIN was a big part of the organizing committee, he attended every meeting worked behind the scenes with his assigned duties and allowed his name to be used to put a face on the disease. Luckily for us he is recovering, form everything he has gone through in the last 2 months
(cancer, broken foot, then having his appendix removed) he has maintained his twisted, demented, and sick sense of humour to which I can relate.

These are a terrific bunch of guys who stepped up and sacrificed alot of time and effort and we will do it all again and it will be bigger and better, I am sure of that. With more time and promotion we should do really well next time.

I also would ask that any personal feeling towards any individuals from this site or others be left out of this topic as it will detract from the main focus here and that is the cause.

Once again, way to go guys and thanks to all of you that came out to support this cause. Lets show em next year that we can improve and surpass this years achievements. :lol:

Don

A.K.A....Badger Shark

PS. When do I get to ice fish? :wink: