Keeping Fish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JFish
Participant
Participant

Keeping Fish

Post by JFish »

Just wanted to see what everybody thought about this. While out fishing for Steelhead I have noticed that most times I am there there is also another gentleman fishing, usually from shore. Now I know that with a sportsman license you are allowed 1 steelhead in this particular area, however, every day that I see him catch a steelhead he keeps it or most times it is given away to someone on shore. I want to see what people think about giving these fish away on a consistent basis?

I guess he is allowed to do whatever he wants to with the fish but these aren't panfish here. I really don't know howmany fish he has pulled out and given away because I'm sure that he is there when I am not but from what I have seen it's got to be getting close to 15 or more.

I could understand giving a fish to a friend a couple times but to random people all the time really does bother me and I'm sure it bothers some others out there.

So how does everyone feel about this? Is it his right to do what he wants with whatever he catches or do people think this shouldn't be allowed?

JFish
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Interesting question. Tech. with said sportsman license he can keep and do with it as he chooses. I have no problem if he takes it home to feed his family, or gives one to a buddy sometimes but if he's actually handing them out to strangers at random....well, that's just not acceptable.

Personally the curiosity would be killing me and I'd have to ask during a friendly chat with him, without lecturing him. He might be unaware of the impact he, himself may be making or for that matter 10 fishermen doing the same thing.

Just my humble opinion. With our amazing natural resources some think that we have a limitless supply of everything. We've got to change that mindset, or as seen elsewhere on the planet, we'll have little to none left.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Curious situation....I agree with K-Pin. Chat with him and in a friendly way ask him why he gives them away. I'd like to know why he doesn't release them if he doesn't keep them.

Legally he cannot exceed his limit regardless of whether or not he gives them away. They are still his fish since he caught them. As well, if he keeps them, he or his beneficiaries must consume them because it is illegal to destroy gamefish.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Thats odd??? an angler who purposely reduces his fish stock by giving them away???? Strange, I would approach him and see if he has a reason or maybe try to educate him on the importance of catch and release.

Q?----does he give away more than one per outing , then he would be breaking the law.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Guys: You are forgetting one thing...he is an older man..they did not have much in the way of limitations when they were young so he believe all this is horse hooeeyy... I met an older man one day who said that if we keep fishing the way we do we will over populate the area and fish will die anyway. I bet when you talk to him he wont care cause " Ive been fishing these waters all my life and who are you but a young whippersnapper trying to tell me what to do". But I agree with everyone else on this matter. Old Men are stubborn...No offense to the older gentlemen who know the rules.
FromTheNorth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FromTheNorth »

As embarrasing as it is, I will admit that my good fishing buddy and I have each been charged once with a fishing offence. I was stopped at a "Fish R.I.D.E" program and was charged with improper cleaning of a fish.(still within my limit) two days later, my buddy was charged steelhead fishing.

Three of us where fishing a nice river near Sault Ste. Marie. I had one small steelhead, my good friend had one and our unfortunate guest didn't get any, despite 7 hours of fishing. Nearing the end of the day, my buddy catches his second fish and gives it to our unlucky friend and we deside to leave.
I guess a conservation officer had been watching us from the parking lot for most of the day. Long story short, my good friend was charged with posetion over his limit.
I can understand why, but... who hasn't had that lucky day on a boat where one guy catches all the keepers. I never thought of those days as criminal.

(I will note that neither of us do this anymore)
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

Maybe he is of Aboriginal descent and therefore doesn't have a license.
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

Now this gets complicated if he gives his fish away does that person need a licence walking away from a river with a fresh fish or the possesion limit received 1 fish 2 days in a row.do you need a licence to have fish in your freezer
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

Rules are rules and what is the old saying" ignorance to the law is no excuse" or something like that. If this gentlemen isn't abiding by the regulations then it is just a matter of time before he gets nailed. It just like speeding on the highway, we all know the speed limit is posted but if you speed and get caught who do you have too blame but yourself. Unfortunately when you break the rules when fishing you take the fun away from everyone else because those regulations are there for a reason and that is to protect the stock. I think this guy that catches the fish thinks he is helping someone out with fresh fish but the guy that excepts the fish then is just as guilty as the guy who caught it.
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by YakAttack »

If he is ignorant of the laws, he may appreciate the information after he learns that he could receive a fine. If you approach him with concern for his welfare (i.e. his $$), he might be less apt to reproach you for talking to him about it.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

My buddy ken and get approached at least every send trip, I guess that what shore fisihng does, but we always turn em, down because catch and release is all i believe in,
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

K-Pin is 100% right....

Few thoughts...

First off what hes doing is wrong but he's most likely not aware of the rules he needs to abide by. So it could be just an uneducated angler. I bet that is the case. If I were you I'd appraoch him and start a friendly conversation about the bite. Then jump into regulations and what can happen if pinched.
Also to the comment about that old man (in almosfishers post, that he met) who thinks we should keep more or they will over populate. I dont thin khe understands that there were more fish 20-30 yrs ago and there wasnt the technology used to catch them now. With the electronics, GPS satellite systems, and quality tackle and baits these days fish barely have a fighting chance. Also that the only reason why some lakes now have good abundance of fish are because of our stocking programs, where as back in the older days im sure not as much concern on stocking was taken... Catch and release is necessary. Sure not all the time, but everyone should do it often. Take whats needed, not wanted.. Then by all means we wont be complaining for years to come.
Also I've seen somewhat a a same situation occur in Cobourg one year. Unlike most anglers I dont like to jsut stnad there and think its wrong I usually voice my opinion or ask questions to the angler.. This happened a couple of years ago. I was fishing the Cobourg creek and walked my way up to the CN bridge. At this time of year you cant go past the bridge to fish. So i remained on the legal side drifitng. When I noticed several guys fishing a pool above the bridge. I thought maybe they were unaware of the regulations. So I told my buddy I was going to talk to them. They were pulling in Steelhead after steelhead throwing them on the bank. So I told the guy "Are you aware that this area is unfishable at this time of year?" He said yes, but the ministry is on strike. This was the year they were on strike. " Then he said I've seen others do it why cant I?" I grimaced then spoke " Two wrongs dont make a right!" Told him to move and fish accoridng to the regs or Id call the O.P.P. He told me to f*&k off and I walked away from the creek, up onto the road and told the first OPP car that I saw. Now I did not go back but I hope that they got the harshest of fines possible. have no respect for anglers like this. The ones who abuse the right! They will slowly destroy our resources and ruin our lakes and rivers. I think we need harsher fines and better regulations for keeping less quantities of fish. We will all benefit somewhere, sometime because of this. I mean really who needs 3-5 steelhead each? Theyre big fish and a joy to catch. My freezer is full all year round wth food. So keeping fish isnt even a thought in my head everytime I go out! And I find, going back to the older angler generation many dont seem to understand this concept I practice.

Well rambe, ramble, i enjoy this topic, and enjoy discussing catch and release.... So I had to voice an opinion on this one

Regards

Spence
Last edited by Spence Scout on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

burp
Last edited by muskymike on Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

I don't agree that age is the reason, so much as ignorance, my 84 yr old grandfather abides by the rules, as well as my 65 year old father. So I think to blame it on age is a stereotype. I think, its someone that would rather plead ignorance than anything else!
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

This is why i tend to dislike message boards and sites like this...

My intention wasnt to blame anyone, any age... It was a meer blog of personal experience. You take it the way you want! I am very well aware that the older generation knows in fact more, due to experience... I just get that alot from older people... especially my father.. he didnt quite understand why I let fish go all the time until i turned out who I am today... I eat, sleep, fish ...... u cant kill a passion... Now he has learned from me and the cycle will continue..
So please dont think Im blaiming any age generation, if you will hear me speek of this in person you would have well known this wasnt my intention. The largest flaw of a message board is taking something the wrong way...

Regards

Spence