How big of a pike fits through a 6" hole?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

How big of a pike fits through a 6" hole?

Post by SteveO »

If I am not mistaken, a 6" in diameter auger hole has a circumference of 18.85" (approx 18 3/4 inch). On average, what size of pike would have that girth?
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Steve-O: Unless it is too early in the morning what you are thinking is not right...Or I am way wrong but here is what I think...The diameter is 6" so the biggest pike you can bring thru is 6" in diameter. Why try to figure out circumference??...And after thinking for a moment about this guess what I see what you are doing and you are right...I think??? So confused now.

Wow I feel silly :oops: :oops:
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Cancatchbass »

I've taken a 10+ from a 6" hole.

I doubt there are any pike you will run across that won't come through a 6" hole. It's just a little trickier to get them started...
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

Hi Almonte:

Your thinking is right! 6" in diameter is the biggest pike that will fit!

My thinking was that people (typically Musky anglers) measure the girth (a.k.a. circumference) of the fish they are catching, and therefore would have a feel of the relationship between girth and length / weight.

So stated differently, I am asking what is the typical length and weight of a pike that measures 6" in diameter. I haven't measured girth in the past so I don't have a good feel for the size.
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

... you could fit a pike whose head had a diameter no bigger than 6". I say head because the belly is not rigid and will conform to the hole. The head; won't compress so easily.

Cheers,

Scott
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

IF i think ok,,,,,,,6inch hole....mmmm.that is about 21,5aprox...inch in circonference........hope i am in the range..

so a fish that is 21,5 in guirth,,,,,,,,,but hey fish stretch,i saw some big fish going tru a 6 inch hole.....the guirth could be bigger then that 21,5 inch and still go true......

you need a big fish bud,not to go true.......

but think COLD...........the probleme is wen it cold outside,,your hole wont stay 6 inch it might become 5 inch or even smaller as the day goes by,,,besause it froze around a bit by bit,,,,you have to keep it clean all the time,,pretty hard to keep your 6 inch wen its very cold...

its just that you have a smaller hole to get the head true,,,,,,,usely wen the head is in the hole........it will go up,,,,,that is wen a GAFF is very nice to have close by,,,, :wink:

but if you do go for lakers,,,,,,,they seems to get fat big guirth,,,,without beeing a huge fish there not long but have big belly,,,,so a bit harder for your 6 incher....

but hey,,,,,,,,,,,,i would not botter to mutch,,use what you have,,,,,,if its a 6 incher,,,,,,,,,,,,,there is not mutch fish that wont go true,,,,,

joco,
Last edited by joco on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

well if you got a pike that was giving you trouble getting it through the 6 inch hole I sure wouldn't want my figers near the mouth
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

What CCB said...............

Linning them up is the hardest part but once the head is through, then it's a done deal.

Manny
bts
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bts »

Fishin pike on the Mississippi shouldn't be a problem :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

crash wrote:well if you got a pike that was giving you trouble getting it through the 6 inch hole I sure wouldn't want my figers near the mouth
I'm sure if she were big enough you would stick your arm down the hole :lol: I would 8)
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by steve2112 »

Hi Guys

I would be amazed if you could not get a 15 or even 20 pound pike through a six inch hole. I used to worry about this but realized it's more wishful thinking than a real concern.

I have caught alot of big pike ice fishing in Alberta and never stuck one in the hole.

steve
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

The problem is not the pike being able to fit throught the hole, the problem is getting a 15 pound pike up into a 18 3/4" circumference hole that is 20 inches or more thickness :wink: I'm sure it's possible, but, if you're targetting large pike go with an 8 to 10 inch hole just to be safe :)

Cheers,

Rich
Muskie4L
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskie4L »

It totaly depends on how hard you pull :lol:
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Hey all

To answer all of your questions on this topic I have not only done it but been there when it has happened. I have personally caught a 18lbs Northern pike through a 6" and the same day there were 2 muskie caught through the ice as well by my buddies. One was about 25lbs the other was low 30lbs range both were quickly landed and quickly released.. They fit throughwith much ease. In fact once they got there head in they swam up themselves. So i know 6" is more then big enough for many fish. Ive seen it happen many times.
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

Wow, man, that was a hell of a day on the ice. Were you on the Ottawa?? St-Larry??

Manny