Does LeBaron.....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Thanks for all the kind remarks.
I guess that I was brought up Old School, where customer service is #1.
Obviously, some of the people don't have the same schooling.
Some of the problems can be resolved a lot easier than coming through the store for equipment repairs as in Badger Sharks situation and a few others. Now that I know how long it takes for us to get repairs looked after, I now tend to ask the customer to go direct to the company involved be it Lowrance, Shimano, Minn Kota and call, tell them your problem, Send it to them, get it repaired and back to you in Short Order not nearly 2 months later. A few bucks in shipping is well worth having the equipment back in 10 days rather than missing a summers fishing. I know you the consumer shouldn't have to go this route for your money spent, but the big companies look after their clients very quickly.
Hopefully this helps some of you get equipment looked after faster the next time. I apologize to Badger Shark for all the lost time you had this summer. I have now lived and learned of some of the store problems.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Brian, in no way should you appologize for anything, you have always been very helpful. I didnt mean for this topic to bash LeBarons, I like the store I just think that some of the staff need to be informed that they are the face of the store and everyone has a bad day and doesnt like to work. I also wish they could get products in quicker. Hope to see ya soon, take care.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

I was just in there this Monday for the first time in almost a year and I was helped with everything I needed. And while I was there the nice guy was helping many others with their requirements which included going to the back looking for stock a couple of times and putting stuff on layaway so not the most fun thing to do.

I don't know who the gentelman was but I can tell you the guy in the clothing department in the back corner is doing a great job.

I was also greated by Brian in the fishing department and he seemed busy helping out a group on customers.

I liked the new store but it just seemed like the stuff was more spread out vs. more stuff. Is it just me? I did not really have time to look around but I did walk through the entire store and it seemed to be just as much as before.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
pikeonthe fly
Participant
Participant

Post by pikeonthe fly »

Can't coment on the store staff...only ever been in one of their outlets (woodbine,TO) some time ago and was not really that impressed with the staff, though stock levels seemed pretty good. Staff problems are a MANAGEMENT problem IMO. The adverse comments here would tend to indicate that someone (the owner?) requires to improve Management skills...all else follows from there.

Have mail ordered from the company on a number of occassions and so far, no problems. Stock availability (at least for the stuff I wanted) was good and delivery time very good too.
larrybass
Participant
Participant

Post by larrybass »

Hi guys,

Just recently joined up and spent some time tourin' around your fairly active board here. Pretty impressive so far. 8)

I was in LeBaron's last week lookin' for a pack or three of those deadly Senkos. Didn't score any at all but ended up spending almost an hour in the fishing section because I hadn't been in since their move to Merivale.

Nobody approached me in that whole time. :cry: I'd say there was no more than six or seven people in there at any given time. One guy (don't know who) was appearently checking stock, with a clipboard right beside me but didn't start any conversations. Maybe he was just too involved in all that counting and not real good at multi tasking?

I used to work at Laurentian Trading Post a number of years ago and learned from some of the best in the field, about customer service and without it, you're dead in the water. Trouble to-day is that so many places have grown too big to really care about all that, due to the large numbers of new people they can depend on coming in as the population increases. They don't mind if they lose a customer or two.

Some of the stuff I've read above is unexcusable in the retail trade and should be corrected, but will it? Probably not. What burns me up is how can any little woman work behind the cash at an Outdoorsy store like that and NOT be freakin' happy? Where in the world is her attitude coming from? As a matter of fact, everyone in there should be way more pumped about the fact that they get to handle fishin' gear all the time, not just on week-ends like lots of us.:wink: What, it's just another job to these people? Something they have to do to pay the rent? Man, I'd work down there, or any other tackle store for that matter again, and I'll tell ya, I'd be LOVIN' it and showing it too.

You see boys, this is about good PR. Fishing needs good public relations between all levels of folks that are involved in this sport/industry. People who work in these retail outlets have many chances everyday to encourage and promote this wonderful sport. Maybe they just don't know how good it can feel to share some neat little fishing thing with others? Maybe they are afraid to be told that they don't need any help? :oops: There are more ways to start a conversation with a new customer than "Can I help you"?

I can bet that almost anyone that walks in there could be engaged in a fishing conversation, without mentioning anything about buying or selling anything even. Most guys are interested in telling about the fish they caught most recently, or their biggest one or whatever. See where I'm going here? No need for pushy salesmen, nor non-participating ones either. Just a little genuine interest in their customers or would-be customers, would be nice even.

If that girl really finds it tough to work there, maybe they need a new rep?
:twisted:
I don't wear a dress very well, but I do know how to punch a cash register :lol:

Anyway, that's it for now.

I'm grabbing my bag and heading out the door right now to see if I can bag a fish or two before the day gets too long. :)

Sorry to help Hijack yer thread Wolfman buddy! Won't happen again...

Later,

LarryB

http://larrybass.tripod.com/Fishing.html
8)
Last edited by larrybass on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

well i went there yesterday and they no longer carry cut bait...
guess i'll have to settle for large frozen minnows....

as for their customer service (seeing as how thats what this thread turned into :evil: ), i've never had a problem with them.
i don't like thier rule of having to leave your bag at the register, though.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Sorry, wolfman, never meant for this thread to go that way. I appologize for it getting that way. I just keep getting bad attitudes when I go and thats often. In fact I was going to write a thread about it and you happened to write something about them and well, I appologize again.

I did answer as best I could.
This is the last I will speak about it on your thread.
Braeside
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Braeside »

I have no problems with LeBarons...I guess I'm mature enough to realize that I'm not at Macy's on 5th Avenue in NYC, with my phony champange expectations, but only there with a beer store bank roll.

We were down south of the border a week ago. Went into one those big box sports stores looking for this and that. Overall the service was marginal until I told them I was Canadian.....Glad to know I'm from a 4th world country.

The fishing department was the least staffed and under serviced by knowledge.

As to the complaints about the staff on Lebarons, .Jeepers H Christ guys, give it a break. I've been in line there several times, and witnessed absolute JERKS giving all the staff a terrible time... Gosh, I wish I was so bloody important.. I guess I don't pay the same taxes as some.....
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sparky »

Maybe I'm just naturally attractive and lovable, but I've never had anything but respectful, even friendly, service at LeBaron. And when I'm browsing, I don't want clerks all over me like those poor commission-only guys at the electronics supermarts. At LeBaron, all you have to do is ask for help. Maybe their staff morale isn't all it should be, but they've never taken it out on me.
And yeah, the store doesn't have every item in evey size and colour in the catalogue, but it would have to be the size of the Rideau Centre to do that.
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

...........what Larry Bass said...............
Pieuvre
Participant
Participant

Post by Pieuvre »

I was in there oct 4, 3 pm, 3 maybe 4 customers in the entire store, not once did somone ask me if I needed help. I was not to impressed. I may not be a regular but most places you are aproached and they seam willing to help and make a sale.