Lake Clear Report! (lotsa pic's)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Lake Clear Report! (lotsa pic's)

Post by slop »

Hey folks, i just returned from 4 days and 3 nights of absolutely mind-blowing fishing and partying. I thought the trip was going to get off to a horrible start when i came down with something the thursday before our friday morning departure. It seems i had eaten some bad meat ::)....but like the trooper i am ;D ;D i was'nt about to bail out on my buddies Jeff and Huddy for this long awaited trip.

Friday morning we checked in at the resort a little early and were told that our cottage was'nt ready yet, so what to do in the meantime..........LETS GO FISHIN'!!!! The lodge owner took us to our boat and gave Jeff and i a crash course on how to operate the vessle. Huddy had trailered his own boat from Tamworth for this trip. With the boats loaded and heading to the first spot, i felt like a dog with two tails and to say i was excited was an understatement. Upon arriving at the first spot, i was blown away at the clarity of the water. The visibilty musta been atleast 25' or more. The bottom was strewn with all types and sizes of boulders and chunk rock.
As you can see it did'nt take long to start catching some really nice fish. I got on the board with my first fish being this nice little eye which had to be released.
Life was good and got even better when this fella crushed my bitsy bug flippin jig.

Huddy had been pretty quiet up until this point...he's a bit of a walleye snob and thinks bass are just for kids. Well this looks like one happy kid lemme tell ya!!
By mid afternoon we decided to head back to the resort and unpack the gear into the cottage, have a snack and a cold beverage before heading out for the night bite. I gotta say.....the smallies were'nt overly cooperative that evening. The eyes however showed up like gangbusters off of a deep water hump. Man they were agressive and hit our simple but effective jig and grub combinations.

Saturday started with high skies and crazy banks of fog rolling through. While throwing topwaters on this calm morning i had this guy crash my torpedo unexpectedly and put up a real good scrap.

We decided to do some island hopping and exploring of the many possibilities around this truly magnificent lake. The steep shoreline drop off pattern was only furnishing us with little guys and i know that this will be a hot pattern in several weeks from now. Jeff did manage this guy dragging a tube down the sheer and steep walls around the island. There were many spots where the boat would be holding in 80+ FOW but you could also hit the shore with a cast :o :o :o

The evening was calm and seemed perfect for more topwater action and man i was in for a treat and some major trash talkin back at camp later that night ;D ;D

Sunday was a mellow fishing day and we had a real mixed bag of weather but no rain. Huddy packed up around noon to head out and Jeff took a nap so that left me hanging out at the horseshoe pit, taking in a round with the resort kitty named Gizmo 8)....Great scenery around the gaming area ;D ;D
The evening bite for smallies was luke warm with only a few fish to show for our efforts. The eyes showed up in full force though and we caught quite a few between 14 and 20.5 inches. There is a minimum size limit of 20" and a limit of 2 fish per angler. Although over 3 days of fishing and about 60 eyes later, only one fish was kept. :o Here's a shot of the average specimen that was caught.

Monday was a wash because of the strong winds that made this lake too bumpy and unsafe. Sadly we packed our gear and headed back to Ottawa with some incredible memories and a ton of laughs on a trip that i will not soon forget.

I hope to return to her sooner than later..........NOW CAN SOMEONE PINCH ME!!!!!
Last edited by slop on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Awesome report and pics dude! :)

That clinches it.................must go to Lake Clear this fall!!! :lol:
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Thanks for the report and pics, great looking fish, must have been a ball catching them.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Wow those are some killer smallies, and nice 'eyes to boot! Great report!
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Nice Haul Fella's...

We also had a rough time getting a keeper earlier in the year...

Luke...
Rider23
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Lake Clear Report! (lotsa pic's)

Post by Rider23 »

slop wrote:Huddy had been pretty quiet up until this point...he's a bit of a walleye snob and thinks bass are just for kids
:lol: :lol: Aren't they :?: j/k

Great report Grant, sure looks like an awesome trip :!: :D
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

Great Fish!!! What an outing! Bet your glad you hung in there!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

OK, this is the 2nd batch of lunker smallmouth pics I've seen this week from Lake Clear. Me thinks I need to visit Lake Clear at some future point! :lol:

Those bass are incredible...in length AND in girth.

Some good walleye to boot.

A very entertaining report and pics.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Good report slop and nice smallies and walleyes as well and nice scenery as well looks like Lake Clear is a destination for me in the futur.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

Smallies :shock: aint that what you may call an Oxymoron :roll: :roll:

nice fish and great report, looks like you guys had a blast

Bear
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Here's some more beauties that I hadn't had time to transfer to Grant since the pipe to his email service is measured in millimeters :lol:. As Grant explained we had an incredible trip in between weather events for the three days.

Day 1 was cloudy and still clearing from recent rain and we experienced very little wind. This was our best big fish day for sure for numbers of Smallies and Walleye.

Day 2 cleared with bluebird skies and had little wind at all. Fishing was tough, but still interesting. Grant caught some real beauties in the evening on topwater as they sneared at my tubes. One quick flurry of Walleye before dark and that was it.

Day 3 the winds picked up and were ripping down the mountains at us and the fish were feeling the effects from barometric pressure (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!). We caught some fish, but the winds drove us off the lake in our 14 ft. boat. In the evening the winds died down and allowed for better lure presentation. We were rewarded with a few more nice Smallies and a nice long bite of Walleye into the early night.

I'm sure there are more lakes like Lake Clear in Ontario, but for me it was the best experience since some Lake Erie fishing years ago, but you can't beat the Fall scenery at Lake Clear! Here's some photos as promised!

Here's Grant with another big topwater Smallie
Finally a 20" Walleye after many many 19" fish
Another chunker!
My last big Smallie of the trip

Enjoy the Fall fishing fellow Fish Hawkers when the weather gives you a window because you won't be disappointed!

Tight Lines,

ratsotail
The Legend
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by The Legend »

where is this lake located anyhow, so many with the same name

and where did ya stay? lodge or??
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Legend,

Opeongo Mountain Resort in Eganville, ON is where we stayed. There are others, but this one came with good recommendations. Google the name and check it out!

ratsotail
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Gents,

Great report and story, with fantasic photos and camraderie. I really enjoyed reading that and seeing both Walleye and Bass in the mix. Nothing like getting into multiple species during a trip.

Thanks for sharing guys.
dskrizzy
Participant
Participant

Post by dskrizzy »

I love Lake Clear!!!! Im glad you guys got a taste of what the fishery has to offer!!! We were there Labour Day long weekend, weather was shiesty at times, but man did the fat smallies make up for it!!!

I know some of those spots still :wink: !!!!

They have some pigs impersonating smallmouth there that is for sure.
Lake Clear and Opeongo Mountain Resort is top 3, maybe top 2 places Christine and I have fished this year! Simply gorgeous lake and a beautiful drive from Toronto.

For anyone looking for beauty scenery and even better fishing, you cant go wrong on Lake Clear.

Thank you so much for sharing, definitely makes me want to go back, like, in a couple of weeks :lol:

Good for you guys!

peace,
Dennis