Saturday results: largemouth on the mississippi river (pics)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Saturday results: largemouth on the mississippi river (pics)

Post by YakAttack »

Last week I asked about the largemouth population on the mississippi river -- here's how I made out yesterday, fishing with my wife and her dad.

We hit the weeds, fishing carolina rigs using 5" plastic worms -- we're all novices, by the way. No fish there, wife got impatient and wanted to catch some pike, so we moved further from shore -- worthwhile notables were a pike I caught, prolly about 18" long or so Image
my wife caught a nice little largemouth (or is it a smallmouth?) Image
, and her dad caught a skinny 12" pike (a real cutie :D ). Image

When the rain started, we took her dad home and we went across the river and anchored under overhanging branches. I went into the weeds with the carolina rig while my wife casted a medium-diving crankbait for pike. She caught a pretty nice pike (bit bigger than mine was), and I caught a smallie (bit bigger than hers was). No pics since the rain might've slaughered my digital camera :cry:

No largies for me, but we had a lot of fun. Best part was that I'm starting to get results with plastic worms and the carolina rig.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

I've fished the mississipi river before, arround the galleta area and I've never caught a largemouth there. For me, it's all been smallies, pike and the occasional walleye.