Quality jigheads and info on Shabomeka Lake (please)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
HogHunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Quality jigheads and info on Shabomeka Lake (please)

Post by HogHunter »

Hey guys, just a couple quick question. I have had alot of problems lately with jigheads and poor quality hooks. The hooks themsleves are bending and sometimes even breaking and I have lost a couple nice fish because of it. I have bought the more expensive tube jigheads and have tried a couple different types of regular jigheads and all the hooks seem really flimsy and easily bent. What do you use? Any brand name or type stickout as being the best?

Next question. Has anyone ever fished Shabomeka Lake near Cloyne? Me and my girlfriend are going to a friends cottage on the lake this weekend. They do have a boat. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot in advance. Hope everyone has a rod-bending weekend :wink:
Last edited by HogHunter on Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Never fished it bud, but I know there's smallmouth and largemouth bass in it. It's also stocked with lakers. :)

I've got some decent tube jigs here. pretty solid! :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I never had any problems with the Matzuo jig heads, though you're paying a premium price for them.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
HogHunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HogHunter »

Thanks Alot guys...Bowzog I'll be in when I can get a chance and will also try the Matzuo. Still hoping to hear from someone who has fished Shabomeka so I'm not going in blind.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I know at one time it was a native brook trout lake. I fish a lake near it that's alot like it and usually these type of lakes the fish are on the shoreline - boulders, overhanging trees and logs but don't overlook any weeds if you find them. Lakes like these often are ignored for bass but have suprisingly good fishing. I'd try small cranks like Big O's, jigs and tubes, senkos and especially topwaters.
jbarker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jbarker »

Don't know who makes the jigs I use But I am sure al's in arnprior has them maybe even bowzog would have them, ask allen about them next time you are there bowzog (unless you carry them already) They come 4 or 5 in a pack for 4 bucks. they are razor sharp and seem to get sharper as the colour gets worn off. They have a teardrop head with a red VMC sickle hook. I hope you can find them they are the best I have used yet.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Jason, if they're the ones in a small ziploc bag(5 per bag)we've got 'em! :) 3 dif. sizes, red and black hooks! :o :lol:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"