Possible weekend at Bon Echo

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Possible weekend at Bon Echo

Post by Badger Shark »

Clown Worship, myself and my cousin have been talking about going camping the weekend of the 22nd. My cousin wants to go to Bon Echo. I have never been and dont know the lakes. Just wondering if anyone can give me some info on species and where to fish. I will be bringing my alumacraft and know one of the lakes doesnt allow gas powered boats. Sure do appreciate any advice anyone can give. Thank you. :lol:
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Try Skootamatta Lake. Good bass, walleye and pike in there! :) A very short drive from Bon Echo. Mazinaw's good too...........the lower portion. :wink:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
HogHunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HogHunter »

I went camping at Bon Echo about a month ago. Mazinaw has lakers, pike, smallmouth and largemouth. The lake is super deep, over 500 feet at its deepest point. I had good luck in the narrows (you will find out where that is when you get there and get a map of the lake and park). There are some huge smallies in there. Skootamatta is close as Bowzog said, and the biggest smallmouth I have ever seen has come out of that lake, also an 11lbs eye was caught when I was there on a floating jighed tipped with a leach with a weight 8 inches up from the bait, from shore in about 4 feet of water (dusk, rocky shoal). The best tip I can give you for this area is stop in the town just before the park. Cloyne maybe... whichever town is the last one before the park. There is a taclke shop there besdie a country store with a Greco pizza. The gentleman who owns it and was working there everytime I was in has been fishing the area for over 40 yrs and is also a guide up there. He wil not hesitate to answer any questions or give you some local know-how. Great guy. He has minnows, worms and leaches too. Hope you have a great trip, Good Luck!
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Thanks guys , great info hopefully we make our minds up soon.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

asome info im heading up for the 1st time at the end of august.... any more tips would be wonderful
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

oh ya primary target bass/pike
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Looks like Bon Echo is out, its completely booked. :cry:
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Good luck on tryin' to get a site at a provincial park on a weekend during the summer! They're booked up solid every year! Ya gotta reserve your weekend in Jan/Feb!!! :lol: :lol: .........go for a private campground. Even then, you'll have to be lucky. :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
BigSim
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigSim »

You probably had to book bon echo aroun d this time last year. It is one of the fastest filling Parks in Ontario. You Could try Sharbot Lake, they don't fill to capacity quite as quickly, but by now you guys are probably sunk in the way of Provincial Parks.

If you're dead set on that area, and it is a beautiful part of Ontario without a doubt, try looking for crown land to stay a night or two on, I think there's a fair amount that way, but I'm not sure.

And make sure you've got a good depth sounder and a depth chart for the Mazinaw. You don't wanna be jigging in 450 feet of water, some people think that looks foolish. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

We decided on staying on the islands in crotch lake, its crown land and we love the lake.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

another good park

Post by matcole »

Voyageur Provincial park is a good one too, Its just past hawksbury, Its on the ottawa river, lots of good spots off the shore to fish for pike and bass, And its seems to be a park that no one really knows about, because its always got vacant sites!
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

We know Voyegeur very well. I checked and they didnt have any large sites left. But we are looking forward to camping on the islands of crotch lake as its a beautiful place and we know the owners of tumblhome lodge. They are really good to us which is why we keep coming back even if we dont catch alot of fish. Besides that, camping on the islands is quiet and you dont have to worry about park rangers giving you the gears if you laugh or talk above a whisper. We have definitely found over the past few years they are becoming more and more militant in the parks. You used to be able to sit around a fir and laugh and talk but now you seem to get in trouble. And no we dont drink to excess and get loud and boistrous, they just dont seem to tollerate anything anymore. Anyway hopefully we have a good report for you guys on our mini trip. And the week long trip in aug. Cant wait for that.