Centennial Lake/Black Donald Lake -need info

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
chantilly
Participant
Participant

Centennial Lake/Black Donald Lake -need info

Post by chantilly »

Am going for first time to Centennial and Black Donald Lake. Can anyone give me advice on Eagles Rest accommodations, walleye fishing hot spots, etc.?
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Lots of walleye in that system, problem is sports licence has a possession limit of two and conservation has a limit of one which must be greater than 20 inches. Most fish are in the 15 to 19 inch range. Deep structure, steep break-lines, mid lake humps, flooded trees, points and small flats next to deep water will hold walleye. It is a flooded river system so you have lots of structure to work and explore with you electronics. The biggest walleye will be suspended in the deep sections of the lake following schools of bait fish.

Good luck...

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Cent. Lake

Post by Jigs »

Chantilly

Centenial is a weird lake. It is very DEEP with DEEPER holes. I forget the compass direction to the end of the lake where we used to fish, but it's the end which has the bay next to the "coffer" dam.

Across the lake from there is a small island, and shoals run from the island almost back across the lake in a depth ranging from 20 to 80 ft. These shoals join up with those from other islands in the area, and these are what you want to fish. We used WORMS only, (minnows didn't seem to cut it,) on a 1/2 oz jig as you are going to be jigging in anywhere from 20 to 80 ft. of water.

We fished Cent. just before they put in the slot size and it was pretty much hammered at that time, but we took some nice walleye from there and some HUGE rock bass. Hate to admit it, but we even ate some rockies......yetch....very hungry at the time...... :oops:

I wish we had had some power pro line at the time. Had to do the 6 ft. hook set due to the line stretch and water depth. Damn near fell out of the boat a couple of times.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but don't be afraid to jig in 80-l00 ft. of water if your finder shows fish............stiff rod recommended.

Jigs.

PS Trolling around the little islands just at dusk with a worm harness is pretty deadly also.

Good luck
fishin loon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

centennial lake

Post by fishin loon »

Hey there

I just finished fishing there for the weekend, I caught lots of walleye morning and night and some big small mouth. all I can tell ya is I launched at popkeys and when leaving the launch bay They started biting at the first point out of the bay on your right. and got bite after bite every point from there. to make a long story short pick any spot close to shore and watch your fish finder sonar and don't forget the slot size. I think its 20" mine is 20" - 24" everything else back But that's me.

Fishin Loon