Whitefish Lake Report (pics)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Whitefish Lake Report (pics)

Post by mdej »

Love reading everyone's reports, even on the weekend's they get skunked.... so I'm providing my own.

Well, headed to the cottage this weekend for the final pike outting on the home lake. Once bass opens next week, well pike are forgotten....

For those that don't know this is where Whitefish lake is. That is the sign at the public launch. No services here, just docks and a launch (its free, so its all good).

Preparing the boat for launch. Please note we are not doing it on the ramp in the water. Some people.. I know it takes me a while to back up, but I'm ready to go once in the water.

My chariot that gets be around for these fishing adventures. New to me this year, overall been very happy so far.

My destination and second home in the summer... Only a few years old & the landscaping has to weight until I sick of fishing. Would rather spend time on the water then on shore.

View from the cottage

One last check to make sure I got everything loaded in the boat.

-- ----------------
So the fishing was not so good. Pike are not all that plentiful in the lake (I don't think) and its a tough bite cause until bass season opens there is lots or presure on the pike.

Picked up this little one on a white spinner.. small, but fiesty he/she was.

That was early on day 1. The bite got really tough with storms moving through the area... Got a few of small fish, but had a hard time finding the good quality ones or a consistent pattern....

Then we have to take a break from the heat (sunburn, oh bad sunburn and I used lotion).
We ancored in a nice little bay in the shade, pulled out the panfish rod just to pass some time...
EVERYONE - This is a great way to spend an hour of cooldown time... panfishing is fun. :D find a nice bay, some shade, little hook and I just use gulp worms or gulp meal worms.....

Anyway, after catching oh, 50 or so perch and bluegill as I'm tossing this little Rapala minnow thing... :?: I don't know I found it in my box :?:

Anyway.... I see this streak and bang the lure disappears, into a nice size pike mouth, I feel the weight and set the hook!!!!

Mr Pike comes out of the water, nice jump, looks at us on the boat and just spits the lure out.
The hooks on the lure just were not big enough for the pike. The lure was never intented for pike use.

Well the fish came from totally the wrong direction, it wanted that lure bad, now I knew what I needed solve the pattern, more realistic baits and less current.

So after I found a pattern, switched to the only real bait imposter's I had, medium sized berkly blade dancers. Caught a couple more pike then, but not a huge amount.

Here's a pic of my buddy holding one of my catches just before dark (taken on the blade dancer, on the fall)...

Funny Story - The reason he is holding my fish, well we had to prove to his fiance that we were fishing... they get married in 2 weeks and she was convinced we were headed to Montreal... too well... enjoy the sights :P

We have no pic's of him with his own pike, cause well, he never caught any (just rubbin it in for when he reads this thread).

Since the fish pictures are not great, cause the fishing was not great.... some scenery pictures to distract you all, cause I know no-one actually reads the text... just looks at the photo's.

Overall good weekend away from the smog in the city. First weekend out this year where I didn't wear the rain suit or snow suit while fishing.

Hung out with a good buddy, got pictures to post a report to my fav message boards and met a fisherman and fellow cottager on the lake (Brian if your out there PM me).
SCUBA_STEVE
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SCUBA_STEVE »

great report nice read glad you guys had a good weekend!

zort
starrman
Participant
Participant

whitefish lake

Post by starrman »

Hey Mdej

Great report, but boy do some of those views look familiar!!! Good to hear you had a good time and we'll get out this summer.

Starrman
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

mdej,

what a fun report!

Thx for the great read and pic's. It must have been a good getaway for you.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Cancatchbass »

mdej:

You were right in crappie territory in one of those photos.

Did you get into any at all?
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

StarrMan - Yes, to you they are very familier..... even the view into the cottage cause I know you love the slop around my dock.

CanCatchBass - Only got 1 crappie. Please PM with the photo the mean. Have not got any consistantly yet this year (and have tried). The one we did get was BIG, about 13".
You too I'm sure have seen the view into and from my cottage with all the time you spend on teh local water.