Carpenter allergic to wood?????

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SCUBA_STEVE
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SCUBA_STEVE »

hey ya matt!

hope everything works out for ya :D

i am in the reno bussiness myself alot of cement work and plastering,so many different chemicals in things you never know what can come out,keeping fingers crossed for ya :D

zort
phitty
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by phitty »

It is fairly common, as one poster said, on the west coast, particualrily among those who work in cedar alot (oily, wet wood).

Gloves and respirators are common place on the job site, especially among those who have been in the work long enough to know better.

P.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Monsterhunter

I dread the thought of having to wear a mask :shock:

What brought about your allergy?Or have you always had it.

Do you work for yourself or a company??

I hope this is only a mild allergy and this is as bad as it gets :?
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Over exposure is common from what I'm hearing , and I've delt with it all extensively is the last 20 years. Hindsite being 20/20 I should not have tried to be so macho and used the proper masks and such. But ,nothing I can do now.I've worked alot with very aeromatic (spelling?) wood ,spruce , cedar ,pine . But also with veneers ,plywoods and mdf(I hate that stuff).God only know which is worse for you.

If I lose the ability to produce things with my hands I'll go nuts.

Thanks zort,my fingers are crossed too.
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

MuskyMatt, I have workd in agriculture almost all of my life and I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say that Agriculture Canada or any industry should pay for their allergies???? I really don't understand how they think that the company is responsible for this but I really do sympathize for their problem. I have seen people that have been brought to tears because of pollen allergeies but are so involved with doing pollen crosses of plants that involve working with viable live pollen that it brings them almost to tears. I really do feel their pain, but you know sometimes you have to take a step back and ask yourself is "it" really all worth the aggrivation???? I know that if this is what you are GOOD at, and you may be saying that this is all you would like to do but is the suffering really better then the benifits?????
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

It's a tough call, it's something I love, am good at and get paid well for.A change would mean doing something less satisfying for less money.
Could even impact the quality of life for my family.

I'm still optimistic I won't have to find alternative employment but July 21 will tell.
Abraxus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

That sucks!

Post by Abraxus »

Wow Muskymatt,
Thats terrible! Although I do agree with Piker on this one. I have had the same sort of reaction. I use to work in the Restoration business. Did it for years on the west coast, speacializing in High Rise Leaky Condo Restoration. No shortage of work thats for sure. We were working with all sorts of nasty stuff for years in waterproofing. Never bothered me one bit, until one day I was applying a top coat water proofing membrane, (the gray stuff you see on parking lots in malls) The next day when I woke up my face was swollen like a basket ball. Fluids oozed from every pour on my face for days! (Nasty) Since that day, I became more and more sensitive to all forms of chemical based products. Need less to say I am no longer in this profession. Now I cant even use basic bathroom cleaners at home without having some sort of mild reaction! I think your body just decides it has had enough of something at some point! Once again, lets hope this does not apply to fish!
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Abraxus

Wow that sounds serious.

And I do have to agree , it could be worse I could be allergic to fish.

I just hope the allergy is mild and won't get any worse. If it stays as is , I could tolerate it.

I guess after 25 years in the business my body has said Ok enoughs , enough! :x