What type of line do you use on your downrigger rods?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

What type of line do you use on your downrigger rods?

Post by Northern King »

I'm talking mostly about fishing for lakers. I was using power pro last season and I thought it worked pretty good except I need to have an adjustable clip because it would constantly pop off. I just wanted to see what other people like to use on there rigs.
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

I use 14 pound test Trilene XL with 25 feet of 12 pound test fluorocarbon as leader. I run a 5 foot gang troll off the ball and attach my line 6 feet higher. I use Scotty release clips.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Go with mono, I use 14 lb XT, the braid is better for dipseys.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i use braid, 30lbs test FINS PRT.

i use an 8' flouro lead attached.

i use this, instead of mono, because i like the 8 pound diameter the braid offers me.

i'd only get half the amount of line on my reels, if i went with an 17lbs mono.....

(i oversized spinning reels for my rigger reels....great for first timers on the boat)
Jonathan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jonathan »

:D I asked my dad and he uses power pro for his dipsy rods and seagar florocarbon in 20# for the rigger rods. He also said he use 12# floro to play with the lake trout.
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

Ian,

I was debating on Iron silk or Sensation and after nailing the pickeral with cranks on the baitcaster with Iron Silk I am going to throw Iron Silk on my rod for lakers. Virtually no stretch so when a fish hits it will come off the downrigger. Good diamter line for the clips too.

It's green; anyone see why I shouldn't use green at Charleston?

Cheers,

Scott
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

I use Stren super braid for my trolling applications. With the downrigger if using a superline, just remember to set the line to back further in the clip or it will pull out due to it's slick coating and no stretch.
Last edited by Scum Frog on Fri May 26, 2006 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Northern King »

Yes I had to set my power pro to the back of the clip last year to get it to stay on. I think I may continue to use power pro as I like the strength, the no stretch as well the abrasion resistance of the line.

BigFish
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

scum and others, if you want to use a braid for rigging, use FINS PRT, it doesn't have the coating like Fireline or Powerpro....dont have to stick the line so far in the pad.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Thx for the pointer Steve!
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

no problem bud....

that non-coating on the line also makes it the best casting line of the braids.
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

scttsmpsn wrote: It's green; anyone see why I shouldn't use green at Charleston?
Scott

I don't think green would be a problem yet.. I use "green" Berkley big game on my rigger rod all the time on Charleston. When I fish with the father in-law ( who uses clear). There is little differance as to how many fish either of us get ( I usually get more a few more :lol: ).

However on that note... I will be adding a flouro leader this year. I suspect the zebras that are in the lake :cry: :cry: will start to have a noticable effect over the next couple years.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i always always ALWAYS use a flouro lead when i'm rigging with braid....

sometimes you need it for the stretch, others time for the stealth, but always its in use.
Slammy
Participant
Participant

Post by Slammy »

I like berkley big game 20lb with 12lb fluocarbon leader on both rigger & dipsey rods. 20lb handles the boards nicely. Also saves respooling by just changing leader test.
Blaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Blaker »

I have to agree with Steve on this one with the Fins PRT and the floro leader. With all the fish I have seen from posts and heard this guy has been catching on Lake Ontario trolling I would definately go with that. Didn't you just win a local tourney recently Steve running with this setup? :wink: