Hello and looking for other kayak fisherfolks

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
gwright
Participant
Participant

Hello and looking for other kayak fisherfolks

Post by gwright »

Hello, I just joined this forum and thought I'd say hi.

I'm a kayak fisherman looking for other kayak fisherfolks. After searching the forums there seems to be a few of us around. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who would like to go out. My wife would rest alot easier if I wasn't out alone. For those of you interested in trying kayak fishing, I have a "spare" tarpon 120 you could borrow. The tarpons are very stable and not a bad paddling boat so there's no excuse not to try it.
fish_man_dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fish_man_dude »

hey, i luv fishing from the 'yak...last year landed a 38inch tiger muskie from the kayak...pm me if u want to get out there...
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I do the 'yak fishin' thing once in a while. I've got a few new spots I wanna try this year where my regular boat just can't go! :lol: :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI gwright.......

I could follow you wit my canoe.........dont have a kayak,,,,i was looking for one last year for fishing.....but i am a BIG MAN,,,,,i would need

a KINGCAB KAYAK.......... :roll: :lol: .......i am more confortable for fishing in a canoe.....but there some great fishing kayak out on the market.tarpon are one off them........ :wink:

kayak/canoe fishing is awsome.......get place no one helse can think going wit those multi $ bass boat,,,,, :twisted: ...

A little outhing in those back bay in a calm night,,,,,is sher is fun. :P

there a cople off guy here fishing kayak and canoe......

take care and see you soon.....

joco
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

...interesting; I was juts looking ata Predator fishing kayak this morning. I am going to rent a few times to make sure I want to put the money into it. I would take you up on that offer to try out differant models.

Where are you located?

Cheers,

Scott
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

gwright - welcome!

I've never fished from a kayak, but I know a few on board here have. I'd sure be interested to hear about some of your experiences.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

yak fishing

Post by Jigs »

Never done it but canoe fishing is fun.

Anyone with a canoe wishing to fish the Rideau River from Burritts Rapids on up (or down) gimme a PM and we can try and set up for Walleye. I'd invite ya aboard mine, but it's only a 14ft., and when I'm in it, there ain't no room left.

Sad but true. :?

PS Yaks also welcome..........even boats........pieces of wood tied together.....whatever
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

hey gwright and welcome to the board. i have two kayaks, a dancer, and the other one, that is for river. well now that i don't fit in them anymore, so i bought a canoe, it's a three seater 15.5 foot! well hopefully you meet new people that own kayaks. and get into fish!!!
YakFisher
Participant
Participant

Post by YakFisher »

Welcome gwright! Ha, usually the only time I get out fishing on the kayak is when my wife and I go (she also fears the worst, so I don't go alone) :D When the weather cleans up and warms up, I'd love to get out. I'm definitely an amateur fisherman (just getting back into it), but I love being out, fish or no fish!
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

joco wrote:,,i would need

a KINGCAB KAYAK....
Hey Joco,

Bowzog and I have two kingcab kayaks. I'll let you try them out if you want. I'm pretty sure you'll be comfy in them, because they have a large cockpit opening.

Here's a link to the models, see how big the cockpit is and its capacity:
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks ... ngo120.php

They even have a fisherman's model:
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks ... angler.php

P.S. this isn't a sales pitch, we don't sell yaks, they're just our personal crafts.
YakFisher
Participant
Participant

Post by YakFisher »

On a related note, anyone know where I can find accessories to soup up my kayak for fishing (for example, rod holder and maybe paddle holder like in the fishing kayak pic Slushpuppy posted)? Drilling holes is not a problem :lol:
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sparky »

Hey, gwright.
I've been yak fishing the Ottawa, Mississippi, Rideau, Madawaska and tribs for years. It is IMO the most fun you can have with a fishing rod in your hand. I don't usually do much before the bass season starts, but will try to stay in touch thru this board.
WolfMan: I highly recommend the DownEaster all-metal road holders. They are strong, secure, versatile, removable and require no drilling. They're about $20 at LeBaron.
I don't use a paddle holder, just a tether. I leave my paddle resting across the cockpit or let it float alongside.
gwright
Participant
Participant

Post by gwright »

wolfman,

I have both flush mount and a standard Scotty deck mount rod holders.
While I have a bungee strap on the side of the yak for the paddle I don't use it while fishing. It's easier to have the paddle teethered and simply drop it out out the way.

Now there's no need to stop with simply a rod holder or two. You could always add a sonar unit, gps,...

If your interested in adding these accesories without drilling you can find some innovative solutions for both SOT and SIT yaks at

www.kayakfishingstuff.com
YakFisher
Participant
Participant

Post by YakFisher »

sparky: Thanks for the recommendation! I think I saw that one at LeBaron the other day but didn't have time to really get a good look at it (I may go back and check it out today). I already have a paddle leash so maybe that will be fine - I was just thinking it would be less trouble if it were out of the water (mine has a tendency to spin around and get under the kayak sometimes).

gwright: Thanks for the link, that is an awesome site! Lots of good info and accessories there... I'm already thinking of stuff that I can attach to various places on the kayak.... :twisted:

I'm already kicking myself a bit for getting a relatively heavy (70 lbs.) sit-in kayak since I never intended to fish out of it when I bought it. Guess I'd better get to the gym! :lol: Thanks again guys!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi slushpuppy..........

thanks for the offer.......... :P

i saw those ones at the trailhead.........there realy nice.... :o

but i am just more confortable in a canoe.........put more stuff....etc......but kayak fishing is the big thing right now,,, :wink:

there is a big trend in kayak fishing all over the usa right now..........there some kayak fishing derby etc etc...............just writh kayak fishing on a engine serch on the net,and there tons off link that comes out.....

but i would love to get some outriger for my canoe,,,,,,,,i no there easy to do myself,but i want to get some already done,,saw some very nice one,,,,so outriger can go wit hight winds,,,etc...........

take care guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and if the canoe people are allowed to go whit the kayak people i would love to join you guys........ :wink:

joco, :D
Last edited by joco on Wed May 17, 2006 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.