Little Getaway - Several Pics

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Little Getaway - Several Pics

Post by wolfe »

Brian and I pretty much hatched a last-minute plan to get away for a couple of days last week, as both kids were home from school on "spring break". A stomach virus for Shane put the squash on plans until Thursday, when we made a hasty break for the border. Got to Wolfe Lake around dinner time, just in time to settle in and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. Kids tossed a few lines before bed time, but nothing biting from shore (decided not to take the boat this time, as it was such a quick trip).

We took them to the Rideau on Friday, right in the village of Westport, to fish off the docks. They had a blast pulling in panfish after panfish. The people that were fishing directly from the concrete bridge were catching panfish as well -- but also lots of nice crappies and even the oddball pike or two of decent size.

The "Torpedo"

"Devil Loon"

Brian getting a workout - the action was pretty much non-stop...

At the south end of Wolfe.

These reptilian pic's are for Jighead...if he's around...! :wink:

A water snake (kind?) that was sunning itself on the rocks, 'til we came along.

Cute turtle which we moved out of the road. CCB would like this guy.

Not much fishing time, as part of the purpose of the trip was to iron out some cottage / contractor / site plan details...and we had to leave by lunch time on Saturday... but it was just so nice to get away and enjoy the lake & relax. Some loons were back, and I took the dog for a long walk through the fields on Saturday morning before we left. It was "good medicine" for what ails.:D

Small stream not far from our property.

Can't wait to get back for some real fishing, when walleye & pike are open...then again when bass are open...and again... 8)

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Cool pics Wolfe! :) Good to see the young lads nailin' the pannies! :D :) and glad to hear you folks had some R&R!! :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

This is likely my bad but, it's usually Torpedo that's the wee fishing celeb of the Wolfe Pack. Today I see this other dashing young cub that goes by the name "Devil Loon." I thinks to myself, that's the handle I would want if my own hadn't already been carved in a few trees around here. :)

Nice seeing a little Westport too.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Fished on those same docks this time last year. Was up at Wesport for a wedding. There was a stiff cool breeze that weekend and the fishing was no better then your report.

Lovely scenic town...and if you were up there last year also at this time, I'm sorry for my friend who led a improvised parade from the reception with a bullhorn at 3 in the morning. :lol:
...anything to bend the rod
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

devilloon-- now that is a cool name I am Jealous
Looks like a great trip Wolfe-- a little business mixed with pleasure
Hope to see you all back up soon
Norm
wolf5
Participant
Participant

Snake

Post by wolf5 »

It look like milk snake to me but surprise swim in water??? Rattlesnake???
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hi fellas.

wolf5, no definitely not a rattlesnake. We see these (water)snakes all the time around the lake. One was quite large; didn't get a pic of that guy. The tail is smooth and no rattle to be seen. I wouldn't be hanging around taking pic's if I saw/heard one of those! :shock:

MB, yeah, "Devil Loon" is getting in on the action now. He's pretty enthusiastic.......and one thing unlike Ty is that he wants to lip EVERYTHING. "I'll hold it, I'll hold it!" Too funny. :lol: Brave little booger.

W.

PS: Scuro, a bullhorn, eh? Must have been one hell of a party!
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Nice report Wolfe - thanks for sharing. I like the nature pics.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

Nice pics Wolfe

Did ya get a chance to got to the bridge that seperates the "Pond" from the lake ?. There is often a number of walleye in the little creek during the spawn.
And of course the usual monster bass to drool over on the "Pond" side.

I haven't been down there in years (used to jump of the bridge in the summers as a teenager)
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Nice pics Wolfe! Not sure about the snake, I stay the hell away from watersnakes since I had a cottonmouth (Water Moccasin), take a swipe at me once.

You can take a look here Wolfe but it doesn't look like the same snake.

http://www.wf.net/~snake/moccasin.htm
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sparky »

Looks like a regular water snake to me. They're not venomous, but they are short-tempered and will bite.
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLand ... _snake.htm
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hey, Sparky. Yep, I think you are right. I read all the info and it mentioned this species of snake turning darker as it ages. Makes good sense, because the large one we saw (probably between 3 and 4') was much darker than the smaller ones, yet you could see that marbling if you looked closely.

Good to know that they are somewhat feisty when approached. I tend to try to pet the garter snakes, but will now withhold from "making friends" with this kind. :lol:

I know what I'm getting Kpin for Christmas this year. :twisted:

W.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Dartee wrote:Nice pics Wolfe

Did ya get a chance to got to the bridge that seperates the "Pond" from the lake ?. There is often a number of walleye in the little creek during the spawn.
And of course the usual monster bass to drool over on the "Pond" side.
I know just where you speak of, Andre. (Dartee! Still not used to that!)

We used to spit gobs of icecream to the bass. Classless American that I am. :lol: (Actually, I know Floatfishin' is guilty of this same vulgar activity. Maybe he still does it, who knows?) 8) The bass are KILLER huge, though!!!!

W.
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

good report, I did some fishing there at the beginning of april and it too early, good to see they've moved in.

The sanctuary is amazing, that was the only place I saw fish-some monster perch!!! I've seen some nice bass there too and a huge pike.
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

[quote="wolfe
I know just where you speak of, Andre. (Dartee! Still not used to that!)

We used to spit gobs of icecream to the bass. Classless American that I am. :lol: (Actually, I know Floatfishin' is guilty of this same vulgar activity. Maybe he still does it, who knows?) 8) The bass are KILLER huge, though!!!!

W.[/quote]
You'll eventually get used to it...Dartee is my go to Laker lure.

We used to use stale bread some times but the small marshmallows were always fun. The sunfish and bluegill would grab them and try to swim away with 5 or 6 others hanging on, then a large bass or occasionally a pike would come along and settle the arguement. :lol: :lol:

oh to be a kid again...not!