Crappie fishing - April 15

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Crappie fishing - April 15

Post by Fishhawk »

Met up with Fishin Dan at Manotick Bait / Fishing and Hunting Supplies yesterday evening just before supper. We headed out for a drive along the Rideau River in search of spots that we could do a bit of shoreline crappie fishing from.

For the past two weeks, Dan has been catching lots of crappie and lots of a good size too. I wanted some of that action to kick off my open-water season. I was charged all day long yesterday waiting for 4:00 to come so I could head out. A mild sunny day too - perfect.

In Daniel's first spot we quickly realized that water conditions had changed. There was a lot of muddy slop floating around and the water was very stained. Regardless, we were able to see a few hundred crappie hanging tight to the side of the bridge. Daniel smacked one immediately and I thought - HERE WE GO! A couple of kids couldn't believe Daniel just caught a fish after they had been around all day and they ran over, pushed me out of my spot and began excitedly throwing baits helter skelter. That was it for that spot. :roll:

I resolved then and there that the next time Daniel or I catch a 7 inch crappie I'm not going to start yelling YIPPEE WE GOT ONE WE GO ONE! :lol:

Daniel and I were fishing with a fairly typical slip-bobber set up. We had a couple of small jigs dressed with tubes or grubs. Opposed to my five foot crappie rod, Daniel was using a rod that I guess was 10 feet long and it certainly gave him the advantage as he was able to better work the edges of reeds and grass much better than I was. In some instances, the fish he caught were tucked tight to grass and brush. With the five foot rod I couldn't work the grass the way he could and now I want a ten foot crappie rod.

While I couldn't nail any real slabs - some of the guys around us were managing to catch a few pie plates. I was catching little golden crappies - I don't remember seeing golden crappies before - they're usually black or white.

And look at that water - yichk. So there was just enough action to keep the senses tuned but not enough to brag about. It sure was good to get out there though, enjoy the weather and a few mosquitoes. Thanks Fishin Dan.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

GREAT REPORT FISHHAWK,,,,,,,, :P

great picture.......

yep 5 foot crappy rod.is a bit short for shore fishing..... :roll:

that water realy do look a bit dirty... :?

but hey you had fun,,,,,,,,,and thats its all about.... :o :P

joco. 8)
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Welcome to the world of shorefishing, a whole new set of issues to deal with. Great report, nothing like getting that first spring fishing trip under the belt.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Great report Fish-Hawk! Nice to see Fishin Dan guiding the locals to some of his crappie spots...I hope to hit the rideau sometime in the next week so a trip to Manotic Bait will be on the agenda :wink:
bait girl
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Crappie

Post by bait girl »

:D Fishhawk, if you have some time Monday. Fishindan is planning on hooking up the boat and doing some more local fishing. Thanks for the great report and give us a call at the store if you can make it over.

Bait Girl :wink:
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Finally, a report worth reading! Great one FH!
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

slushpuppy wrote:Finally, a report worth reading! Great one FH!
Great? :lol: :lol: Thanks Slushpuppy.

I laugh because I just reviewed Moosebunks story again and I think mine was pretty enemic (spelling suspect) in comparison. Lots of spring and summer to work on that though. :wink: Bring it on!

Monday you say Bait Girl? Hmmmmm - I'm really gonna have to behave myself tomorrow. I'll do my best to join Dan for sure and be in touch.

A detail I left out in the report... my first cast with the slip bobber rig was supposed to throw the bait underneath a bridge that was about a foot above the water. My one and only slip bobber smacked into the concrete and the stem on the top half cracked off. DOH! :shock:

You can sort of see how it is busted in this pic.
Fishhawk
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Fishhawk wrote: I laugh because I just reviewed Moosebunks story again and I think mine was pretty enemic (spelling suspect) in comparison.
I meant (and should have written) "crappie" report. I want pictures and you came through. Thanks!
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Mike you need ol FF out there with ya to show you the art of fishin with a float :wink: :lol:

Awsome report though!!!! I might make my way out one night after work this week 8)
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

FLOATFISHIN wrote:Mike you need ol FF out there with ya to show you the art of fishin with a float :wink: :lol:

Awsome report though!!!! I might make my way out one night after work this week 8)
You know I'll fish anytime I can with ya Float.

I'm really kind of interested in this rod that Fishin Dan was using. Very handy for reaching out and dropping a bobber straight down on the edge of the weeds or into a pocket. The 5 foot rod me thinks is best left for crappie fishin in the boat .
Fishhawk
topwater
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topwater »

I'm really kind of interested in this rod that Fishin Dan was using. Very handy for reaching out and dropping a bobber straight down on the edge of the weeds or into a pocket. The 5 foot rod me thinks is best left for crappie fishin in the boat .
I just picked up a rapala 8.5' light action for crappie looking forward to trying it out next weekend , I was useing my 10' steelhead rod lat week to try and plunk the weeds a little heavy for that and tough to set the hook
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Though Dan might be fishin with a "Dippin pole" per say (Sorry if the term isn't correct)

But the long rod (Sometimes colapsable) as you saw Mike makes it eaiser as you say to hit area's with a drop into the area esp when the water is still, clear and the fish can be spooked easy.

Definatly a great way to fish for them and very effective as you saw.

I use my float rod when up at the cottage for there is alot more water, and I can cast to them with minimal spooking. But, there are a few places where the water in back bays, or still water where havin the long rod makes a world of difference.

Mike I finish round 4ish durin the week and I'mm downtown, also for Dan if we can head out this week for a fish, I've got a few baits I'd like to try :wink: and maybe show ya's a few secret weapons that have worked for me in the past :D

PM away guys :wink:

F.F
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Good words from Topwater and Float. Thanks Gents.

Here's something else to be learned from this thread.

That muddy water was teaming with fish - just very difficult to see... and catch. But they were there. And don't forget to fish the structure. Dan was dunking into small pockets and the edges. I stayed 2 feet away from it with my shorter crappie pole - much less good.
Fishhawk