Banning of frogs and crayfish as bait in Ontario

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Banning of frogs and crayfish as bait in Ontario

Post by Scum Frog »

The MNR has an ERB to possibly ban the use of frogs and crayfish as bait in Ontario.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envregistry/027239ep.htm

Any opinions?
Last edited by Scum Frog on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

I just hope they dont BAN.........the scum frog......species to fish wit,,, :roll: :lol:

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY....I AM AGAINST IT,,,,,,,,,THAT LAW...

I DONT USE THEM MYSELF TO FISH,,BUT ITS GREAT WAY TO FISH...AND IF THIS START IT WONT STOP THERE,,,,MINNOWS,,,LEECH,,,,ETC,,,NOT GREAT FOR A LOCAL BAITSHOP,,,AND FOR ARE LIMIT,,,, :roll: ...
Last edited by joco on Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

My own personal opinion leans towards the total ban of live frogs and crayfish for bait. The irresponsible dumping of live unused bait into the water system is most likely the biggest reason invasive species end up in some of our lakes and rivers. The decline in frogs has been most noticeable to me, as a shore fisherman I have observed the decline, and in some places, the total absence of frogs last year. So I would be in favour of a total ban on the use and harvesting of live frogs and crayfish for bait. (And yes, I did read the MNR bulletin on this subject)
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Daily limit on frogs is 6. What are they really banning anyways.

My favorite valley largemouth hole had tonnes of leopards at the launch last year. The year before they seemed absent from that spot but, I fished another area close by and had no problem catching a few. Then there was a rainy night drive mass Frogger suicide I remember.

Still good numbers, years may vary, but last two seasons the amphibians came later than usual.

Crayfish.... no clue.
Fishing Freak
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishing Freak »

This is a crock.

Banning frogs and crayfish is a start. Next is minnows and worms.

I use them every now and again, and there is no shortage of frogs in this area.

As for dumping frogs and crayfish into the lakes, around here anyway, they are already full of them.

I'm against this, as it is just a start to the total banning of all live bait.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I agree FFreak.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dh99 »

Yeah I think banning minnows would be good as some lakes get killed by dumping unused minnows into lakes. Quebec has that regulation and having just moved here, I am learning to fish for walleye all over again.

When that happens the bait shops will lose tons of $$$$.

DH
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Daily limit on frogs is 12 (not 6), and this limit is the number of frogs that an angler may catch for his personal use. That does not include the limit on how many he/she can purchase from a licensed vendor.

We could have sold many frogs this past summer, as many people came in to the shop looking for just that. We don't sell them (or crayfish). They're hard to keep contained and are apparently pretty smelly.

In Quebec where live bait is banned, people still use minnows, but they kill them first. :roll: So simply banning live bait won't protect the bait species.
Mossman
Participant
Participant

Post by Mossman »

Slushpuppy...I think you mean live bait *fish*. Frogs, worms, leaches, etc are ok in Quebec I believe.

With the stipulation for frogs that you are in possession of a valid Frog Hunting License of course - lol :)
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

This is all a ploy, soon they will ban lead, plastics and all lures made of metal!!! :evil: :evil:
...anything to bend the rod
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dh99 »

I guess I should have been clear, live minnows are banned in most lakes because of people dumping live minnows into the lakes. in my opinion dead minnows are garbage in the summer, you are better of using artificials

DH
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Mossman wrote:Slushpuppy...I think you mean live bait *fish*. Frogs, worms, leaches, etc are ok in Quebec I believe.

With the stipulation for frogs that you are in possession of a valid Frog Hunting License of course - lol :)
Some regions/lakes/rivers don't even allow use of dead bait fish. Yes, frogs, worms, leaches are ok. Crayfish and fish eggs are considered "bait fish" therefore you can't use those where bait fish aren't allowed.

I thought you were kidding about the frog hunting licence but it's true, you need a licence to hunt frogs in Quebec, and the frog season is July 15 - Nov 15, who knew!
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Given the problems that introduced species have caused throughout North America, a ban on using frogs and crayfish is probably a good idea.

I hope that there will be follow-up on the results of the ban. (Gee, wasn't that last part a naive comment....?)
Time's fun when you're having flies.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Banning them is simply a step towards banning all live bait. If they allow commercial quotas to go up 146% on Lake Erie then they better let me drift a crayfish. :?
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

I may be way off here, I do agree that introducing new species is not a good thing but by using leapard frogs I dont think that is happening, again I dont know if there are different types or whatever of leapard frogs I just know them as the green ones with black spots. I think most of Ontario has them now.....so you wouldnt be introducing them. As for the lack of frogs in some areas they go through cycles some years there are way more than others. I know in my area for a few years you couldnt find them anywhere now you can really notice them coming back. For cray fish.....come on, there are no lack of them.