carp fishing.......

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

carp fishing.......

Post by joco »

hi all

I just baught a great carp fishing combo last weekend........

can wait to go for some carp..............in some great BIG carp,,,, :P

went around on the net.to see more info on carp..........and i think i did underestimate carp fishing before..........there some great site,,,,great carp picture to,,,,

so this year i will fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all kind off fish species........

carp/cats/sturegeons/gar.........those will be some off my outhing this season..........

so its nice somtime try other kind off fish.........then the usual,,,,walleye/musky/pike stuff.........

so if people want to go for some off those fish species outhing.....you can always pm me................. :wink:

will ask some question,,,,to the carp (PRO)..JOHN.......

joco...
lub0
Participant
Participant

Post by lub0 »

Hi joco, when do you plan to start fishing carp? at what wather temperature? Lub0
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

Same here Joco
Got out with John last year and decided to get my own rod for this year!!
:D
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Bought a carp rod and reel last year and never used it, help me joco from letting that happen again this year, just say when and where and I am there. 8)
Well and truly hooked!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi spinner

mabe a little carp.............and .cats fishing would be nice hey....... :wink:
pm me spinner.......anytime.......

got myslef a shimano baitrunner 4500b,,,,,,,,and a rod alivio,,,,,,,,,,nice little outfit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now i want to try it so hard........ :P ....

my go outside here at work and just take a shot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it not frozen here for a mile or so........... :P ,,,,,,,,,,

now i am looking for cercle hook for carp and cats,,,,,,,any ideal where to get them.?

lub o...........its not that close..........mabe in 2 months..... :(..just between
before trout opener and after 2 weeks after trout opener..... :wink:

joco :)
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

Ya Joco
Nice reel u got!
I just got an okuma epixor eb50 with same rod as u.
Hope to find some good spots around Ottawa for carp and will likely try some cats with it also as can now cast way out to the deep water!

Now we need the other carp toys :roll:
alarms, swing arms, pods , bank sticks etc :shock:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi spinner,,,,,,,,,,,

you got an nice reel to,,,,,,,,,,,,,i was looking that reel to........okuma,,,,epixor and the avenger...........or a surf reel the oryx.............

take a look here...........okuma have great reel..........

http://www.okumafishing.com/products/re ... x/oryx.htm

i am looking for one more combo...........i will take a okuma reel,,,,,

i will look around ,,,,,,,,,here localy.....for those real.........anyone no where we can those reel around here.........?

joco......... :P
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

hey joco

i know of a place that you see the carp swimming around. these ones that i've seen are HUGE. i could only see the back of those fish but they were big.

if you ever want to give it a try i know somewhere in bourget. it's about 30 from orleans.

BIG CARP!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least two and a half feet long
Lookinforlunkers
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lookinforlunkers »

Hey Joco I hope you are not gonna quit fishin Carp with a bow and arrow now, I was lookin forward to getting out with you for a little carp action of the other kind :D
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi wannafish.........

there some great place on the nation river .............in caselman,,,

below the dam................and same thing in crysler below the dam...last time i went for carp 2 years ago in crysler,,,,,,,,,there was tons off carp try the go up the dam.........they taught they were salmon or somthing........ :roll: :lol: .........very cool to see....

there tons off them to in the little bay in front off the tackle shop at petrie island,,,,,,,wen the time is right.......... :wink:

so see you guys for some carp fishing.........outhing...

joco........ :P
Last edited by joco on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Joco,give Gord a call at Bits and Baits, if he doesn't have any

here is a couple of links:

Eagle Claw Circle Sea hooks:
http://www.lebaron.ca/pdffiles_sp06/fis ... aw_vmc.pdf

and

VMC Sport Circle Hook
http://www.lebaron.ca/pdffiles_sp06/fis ... _hooks.pdf
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Circle hooks aren't ideal but they'd probably work... just avoid trebles as carp don't have tough mouths like pike.

A size 1 or 2 hook is perfect... you don't need 5/0's for carp unless you're a snagger :lol:

Look for some heavier weights 2-3oz would be ideal. There's A LOT of sites out there but keep things basic in canada... the fish mostly don't see hookbaits so there's no need to get advanced.

Get some corn 50kg sacks at the co-op's are about $12-15 put some in a bucket.. cover in boiling water then fish with it the next day.

Joco i'd be interested to see how big they get at casselman although i'd guess no more than 30lbs. The only river around here that sees any number of anglers is the St. lawrence.. everywhere else is pretty much an unknown... I'd say the ottawa holds some moster fish but where to begin... :lol:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI JOHN...................... :P

you might be right,,,,,circle hook,,,,,,,,might not be the perfect thing, you . :wink: your the carp man.. :wink: you no what your talking about.....(you should give some carp seminar)..........i am not very inform on carp.... :? ......but i no there great for cats,,,,,,,,,..........

thanks PINTS for the hook info.....

and a little question about rods..........for carp........

what would be better for.rod..............2.50.2.75.or 3.0.weight rod,,,? :?:

thanks........

joco.
Last edited by joco on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

I have a little bit different setup for carp than most, it really slayed them last spring. I'll post a diagram when I get the time.. but the most important part of the rig is a braided lead and a huge long-shank heavy gauge hook, and no I'm not a snagger :lol:
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

yeah gonna try some ponds around here for some flyfishing for carp in the spring. Can't wait to do some flyfishing for gar too :D