Are there any Carp in the Rideau?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Brit
Participant
Participant

Post by Brit »

Cockney Carper,

Have sent you a PM

Regards

Brit
cockney carper
Participant
Participant

Post by cockney carper »

sorry whats a PM !!!!
tony
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

pm--personal or private message
look up at the top of page at the message icon and click it( you have 1 new message)
Norm
cockney carper
Participant
Participant

Post by cockney carper »

oh right! i received links by email for those, but thanks anyway!
tony
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Was fishing Musky once on the Rideau near Taylor park and was privy to a Aqua show. About 50 yards away I hear this big splash, turn around to see what it was and missed the fish, however saw the ripples where she landed. Five minutes later it happened again and once again I missed it. Started casting in that direction and from out the depths came this huge Goldfish. It's the first time I'd seen a Carp jump and what a site it was. Did that 3 more times then disappeared.

That's the only sighting on the Rideau that I've seen. What a show though. :)
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
cockney carper
Participant
Participant

Post by cockney carper »

hey bobber, that soounds interesting, what time of year was that? is taylor park ottawa end of the rideau?
would have given you a fight if you had hooked it!
tony
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sparky »

A couple of years back, I saw hundreds of carp spawning just upstream from the launch at Kars.
cockney carper
Participant
Participant

carp on the rideau

Post by cockney carper »

Hey Big Bass Rich didnt see the pm or this topic! Am amazed by the response! Hope you have some luck with it, let me know how if it works for you. Trying to organise a Carp day at Caigers (1000 Islands) in June, maybe you could come and show us your results?

I am here in Seeleys Bay, on the Rideau fixing up my cottage. Me and some friends from England are here this week to check out the hotspots given to me from my forum on "Carp in the Rideau" . The spot at Lower Brewers and Washburn Road looks promising - you can almost smell them there!

So I agree that the fishing community on Fish-Hawk net is a great one - will keep you posted on the Carp, thanks for the interest and if anyone has any more sightings......

Tony Holt (aka the cockney carper)
Brandon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Brandon »

I'm happy to hear that there is a decent fishery for carp in the rideau! It's nice to know that they can be caught close to home. Although I still favour the drive down south to the St. Lawrence. Better oppertunity for bigger brutes.

I think if enough people are interested we should get a carp day together sometime!

Cheers,
Brandon
cockney carper
Participant
Participant

Post by cockney carper »

Hi Brandon
I dont think the carp in the RSdeau will be as big as the ones in the st Lawrence but will let you know on that!
Agree with you on the carp day - in fact we are trying to arrange one at Caigers on the St Lawrence (1000 islands) in June - will let you know what we come up with, and what the interest would be.
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

I live on the Rideau River near Kemptville and regularly see all kinds of very large carp in the area between Kars and Kemptville. As someone said earlier in this thread, we tend to over estimate their size when we see them but I can say that I have lived (and fished extensively) in the Thousand Islands area of the St. Lawrence River as well and although I suspect there are larger carp in the St. Lawrence I don't think what I have been seeing in the Rideau are much smaller.