Camping at access points

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
calaboggler
Participant
Participant

Camping at access points

Post by calaboggler »

Hi there I am new to the board and also to fishing, more or less. Lets say its been years since I caught anything of note. But recently as my g.f and I spend more time camping its something I dabbled at a bit from shore last year and this year I hope to borrow a canoe more often and get some decent gear.
Now I lurked on the board for a little while and am convinced this is a good group. So I was wondering what opinions you had about camping at access points (crownland). The reason I ask is because the reactions from other fisherpeople is mixed. Most of time time you won't run into anyone but if you do, 90% are fishing, 5% camping for fun and the rest, who knows. I dont know if people are surprised to see someone else or maybe they don't recognize my truck or think its 'their' lake or campsite ? Does anyone have this view? Most people are friendly, some people ignore, but still others are somewhere between unfriendly and downright confrontational. As long as I am not blocking the access and have not made a mess (can happen, but always gets cleaned up and then some!!) why would someone be upset ? First come first served, no? I try to go to remote spots that no one will show up at but you never know. Is it possible that because it might seem like we're there for other reasons than fishing (no boat, etc) that we arent 'allowed' to camp there? I should mention i rarely use boat launch sites, mainly natural shoreline type places for cartop boats.
Opinions welcome. I just want to get a handle on peoples perspectives before this summer. And, I got cabin fever.
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Depends on where you go .
Some areas you need road passes as well as camping permits .
Other areas seem less controlled.
We have more than once slept in the vehicle when arriving late on a friday night.
Also have camped on islands.
Keeping it low key and low impact is the key .

Setting up tents etc at launch areas etc most likely asking for hassles.

Last point , welcome . Sounds like you alreadu know how good a site this is . Looing forward to some reports this year .
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

Hi Cala.....................long name

Welcome to the board.

By access points do you mean boat launches?, or around boat launches?

If you are boating or canoing in the Rideau Canal system, you may camp in the lockhouse grounds on canal property at night; not sure of any cost, and also not sure of how long you may stay. If you find out, give it a post here. Probably some others would like to know.

We chat with folks canoeing from Kingston to Ottawa-and reverse every year, and they all stay on canal property during the trip.

As I understand it, crown land may be camped on, for eg. Big Gull and Crotch Lake islands. If you can get free access, the camping is free also.

Landowners near rivers like the Mississippi would probably let you camp a couple of nights IF YOU ASK.......been successful for me at least. Usually some fish fillets will suffice as payment.

Hope this helps.

If you find a shipload of info re camping, I'm sure a bunch here would like to know.

Regards:

Jigs.
lostchild
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by lostchild »

Most access points, that I know of, usually have signs stating "no camping!" I think the reason for this in most cases is because of the amount of people, noise and garbage they would attract due to there relative easy access.

I'm guessing that you are from the Calabogie area??? If so you have a million+ spots to camp in your neck of the woods! Centennial has plenty of crown land camping. (by water only) Don;t forget the whole Plevna region, although here camp permits are required.

Best way to find some of these spots is to pick yourself up a MNR map. These maps show... crown land/ lakes/ mnr fireroads/ trails /public boat launches/ species of fish in each lake. Picked mine up in Ardoch actually, at the trailer park store, just south of the 506. Cost $5.95 for the Mazinaw/Bancroft district.

Good luck