Planer Boards

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bluefin
Participant
Participant

Planer Boards

Post by Bluefin »

Hey guys!

I'm considering buying boards for the spring run her on Georgian Bay, and am trying to decide between Offshore and Church boards. Any suggestions you can offer?

Thanks
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Hey Bluefin,

I think you'll find a split camp on this question.

I run both, and continue to do so, I have to say I like my Offshores as i find they run smoother. The Church boards are great due to the clip which keeps them on your line when a fish hits, which makes them a pretty good bet as well.

So my answer is, both :!: :lol:
baitcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Planer Boards

Post by baitcaster »

Like WIG says there is a split camp on this one. For some indepth info on planer boards talk to eye-tracker. He runs both Offshore and Church and can give you some good info.
Church has a new board out this year - the TX-22 Special which is reversible so no need to buy both left and right boards.
We stock both the offshore and church boards at Bait Casters so once you decide give us a call.
Bluefin
Participant
Participant

Thanks for the input guys

Post by Bluefin »

Any info/comment helps the decision, so thanks very much to you two.

Bluefin
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Church vs. Off-Shore

Post by eye-tracker »

Hello,

I get asked lots of questions about in-line planner boards and both the Church and Off-Shore boards are excellent offerings for today’s sophisticated trolling angler. I feel the Church boards are designed to work best in the big water with lead-core and large snap weights, while the Off-Shore are more of a finesse board that allow anglers to use a tattle flag system and troll at slow speeds . I run both for different reasons and after spending a full season on the water with both the Church TX-24 and Off-Shore OR-12 in-line planner boards I have come to a conclusion they both have features every walleye angler could use.

Off Shore Tackle OR-12

OR-12 Pros:
Track at very slow speeds
Very balanced in the water with the add-on tattle flag system
Tattle flag system show strikes of small fish and lures fowled with weeds
Easy to reel in and clear quickly when working a school of walleye or changing lures
Sit high in the water and have very little resistance, which illustrates fish strikes
Includes flag for easy detection in the water

OR-12 Cons:
Need to purchase Snapper Clip for super lines and safety pin that prevents board from falling off the line.
Expensive

Church Tackle TX-24

TX-24 Pros:
Excellent designed clips for mono and super lines
Works and tracks excellent with lead core or heavy snap weights
Rear pin prevents board from falling off line
Adjustable lead weight for tuning board to run different set-ups
Good price

TX-24 Cons:
Does not track well at slow trolling speeds - board sits down to deep in water creating lots of resistance and making it hard to see or detect light strikes.
Board is hard to clear quickly due to resistance
Tattle Flag adds to much weight to front of board causing a tracking and balance problem. (Could not get boards to work or track properly with tattle flag add-on)
No flag included making board hard to detect in water

Hopefully my observations and time on the water will help you select an in-line board that will suit your needs. One thing I know for sure about both of these in-line boards, is they will increase the number of fish you catch on waters like the Bay of Quinte, Lake Erie or any clear body of water where walleye suspend in the top third of the water column.
Fish On…

-Sheldon Hatch
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Bluefin
Participant
Participant

Thanks...

Post by Bluefin »

Thanks for the posts guys, especially Tracker, for such a detailed response.

Tracker, you mention the TX-12 as the one you have used. I was looking to buy the Church Walleye Board, which seems to be slightly different. Any info/experience concerning that particular board. Hopefully it doesn't have the same problems at slow speeds, as I do plan to troll down as slow as approx 1.2-1.5 mph with the boards I choose.

Thanks again guys!
Bluefin
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Thanks...

Post by eye-tracker »

Bluefin wrote:Thanks for the posts guys, especially Tracker, for such a detailed response.

Tracker, you mention the TX-12 as the one you have used. I was looking to buy the Church Walleye Board, which seems to be slightly different. Any info/experience concerning that particular board. Hopefully it doesn't have the same problems at slow speeds, as I do plan to troll down as slow as approx 1.2-1.5 mph with the boards I choose.

Thanks again guys!
Bluefin
Hello Bluefin,
The TX-24 and Walleye Board are the same. Church makes the TX-24 so the Salmon and Trout folks can purchase a board with out Walleye printed on the side :D
The Church TX-24 and Walleye Board will troll down fine to 1.2 - 1.5 mph, just don't add the tattle flag option or the board will be off balance and dig in at the front. When I mention slow I am in the 0.6 to 0.9mph range for small spinner blades. (The off-shores work great at these crawling speeds)

Good luck and enjoy the in-lines.

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Weights

Post by Jimmy »

Just a natural extension to this conversation... without adding a new topic... does anyone have a solution... home made or bought... expensive or cheap... to adding weight to the lines?

Was looking at buying the Church's clip on kit... but hard to find and I think pricey...
What do you guys think?
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Jimmy have you tried ebay for those snap on weigh clips? MAy be worth a look see.
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Weights

Post by Jimmy »

Wall-I-Guy wrote:Jimmy have you tried ebay for those snap on weigh clips? MAy be worth a look see.
Yup... looked all over...
Been PM'd by a couple of different people.... Offshore has their clip on kits about $25 for 4 plus 8 weights ... also found this Image ... runs a buck or two... also found a guy who make his own... like this Image... clips.. elastics... and I thought of using the "used" lead weights from a gas stations tire machine....hmmmmm must experiment!
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

This will be my first year using boards. I bought a pair of walleye boards made by church tackle Co. Bass pro in toronto sold 3 differnt types. I did notice that there was a very small 9" or so board as well. I almost bought a set of those. apon getting home i realized that i picked up two starboard boards. Make sure you double check that. lol

Now i have to purchase a set of rods and reels with line counters.

I think it was baitcaster that told me they had rods and reels for planer board set ups?
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

I'm an offshore guy.They have worked well for me in both calm and the roughest water.I have changed all my clips to the red ones I think they are OR16 not sure but they have been great.The only issue I have is sometime they don't release.Caught a 13.5 Walleye an did'nt even know it was there :roll: .

We now set our spinning reels where the slightest movement will pull out drag,works great :D .

If you fish at night like we do in the spring head to the 1$ store and buy the glow in the dark Jewelry.You just put the sticks in the flags to light up the boards.4 for a dollar :D

Scumking
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Rods & reels

Post by Jimmy »

1lastcast wrote:This will be my first year using boards. I bought a pair of walleye boards made by church tackle Co. Bass pro in toronto sold 3 differnt types. I did notice that there was a very small 9" or so board as well. I almost bought a set of those. apon getting home i realized that i picked up two starboard boards. Make sure you double check that. lol

Now i have to purchase a set of rods and reels with line counters.

I think it was baitcaster that told me they had rods and reels for planer board set ups?
Ya.. I was also looking for new, smaller setups... dont need 9 ft rods and big reels. Thinking of selling my gear... going with the Okuma convector series in the 20 size and 7 ft ugly sticks medium action... add that to my new wally boards... will be all set....

2 starboard boards... what a bummer :lol: