Never again

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ricky76ca2002
Participant
Participant

Never again

Post by ricky76ca2002 »

Last week my friend Joe calls me and wants to make plans to go fishing up on the Bay of Quinte for Walleye. I made calls to some of the local outfitters to find out about the ice conditions. I was told the conditions were not good and that the huts were on land. Joe talked to one outfitter and he said that there was 10,½/ inches under his huts and everything was safe. After discussing the situation, we decided to go to the outfitter Joe talked to. I was pack up and heading out the door at 4:00am Joe and I met up the and local Tim Horton’s in Brockville it was a nice surprise to see Joe had brought his son Carmen so after a couple of medium double double ‘s we were off .It was around 6:30am Joe Carmen and I met up with Peter the local outfitter at Tim Horton’s in Bellville on the old #2 . We went in and ordered and couple of coffee’s and went back out to the parking lot very excited to get fishing . Peter takes us over to the local bait shop next door from the Tim Horton’s I was very impressed with the selection and the owner was extremely helpful . After 10min’s in the store I asked Peter if we could get going out to the hut his response was let’s wait to day light there was a lot of rain last night and some of the cracks might be a little more open . We waited to day light and jumped in the cars and headed 2 miles west outside of Bellville and pulled in to a little parking lot across form and conservation area . It was rain pretty good I asked peter where are transportation was he informed us his skidoo was broken and we would have to walk out looking from the parking I could see the ice hut’s about 6 to 8 hundred yards out . I said to Joe were going to get a little wet but we have a heated hut so let’s just keep a good pace to the hut . I was packing 80lbs of gear so peter pulls out a little 3ft sleigh from the truck and let’s pack the gear on sleigh . After 15 min’s at the cars we start walking down to the ice. When we got on the ice there was about an 1” of top water Joe Carmen and peter were a good 50 yards ahead and sleigh was slowing me down we were a good 2,hundred yards out on the ice when I asked the guy’s to stop and wait up for me when I got up to them I asked Peter again how much ice there was he assured me there was a good 10,½ of ice he was just at the hut’s last night and there is lot’s of ice. We keep walking and again I fall a little behind the rain is coming down very hard I have my head crouched right down and my eyes are half open and getting cold I look up to see where they are and I see Joe and Carmen take a little jump I look down at my feet and I’m standing on what looks like about 3in’s of black ice and the white bubbles under the ice are moving away from me my stomach dropped Joe looking back asked what’s wrong yelling I said head for the shack he was only 60 yards away . I picked up my pace thinking I’m on a very bad spot there’s thicker ice ahead. I get up to where I saw Joe and Carmen take a little jump and see a big 6inch crack in the ice and yes right through and just to right of the crack an old 8inch auger hole and the top water swirling down I look up and see a guy pop his head out of the far ice shack and close the door the guy’s reach the ice shack and I get a little speed and jump over the crack . I walked to Joe his face was very white and not from the rain I asked why did not turn back to shore after seeing the crack he said he was just flowing Peter and his eyes were squinted and almost stepped right on it. Peter was inside prepping the shack for us I told Joe just to stay put do not move around I walked over to the other shack and knocked on the door a nice voice say’s come in I open the door to see three guy’s ice fishing inside I asked them how much ice is there the guy looks at me with a big smile and tells me there’s 2,½/ of black ice and about 2or 3inches of white I told the guy’s good luck fishing and closed the door . Walking back to Joe I tried to keep my cool and not let Joe or Carmen see I was pee pee .I told Joe we were getting off the ice right now standing at the shacks we could here the ice cracking under us and we knew it was not freezing Joe starting taking a few steps back from me he yelled to Peter that we are leaving right now. Peter sticks his head out of the hut looking stunned asking why we wanted to leave . I said we are not comfortable we would like to go . I pulled a 15ft nylon rope out of my back pack I told Joe to stay a good 20feet back from Peter when we start heading back to shore and I will do the same behind you and keep Carmen between us . I asked Joe if he had his cell phone on him he looks back and ask why and I told him if we had it I would call the OPP to get us off of here .But that was not an option .Peter step’s out of the hut and asks if we are ready I’m like let’s go. Heading back Joe and Carmen jump across the big crack again as I watch them jump I see the ice start giving out from there weight Joe gives Carmen a big push forward away from him and I’m praying Joe is not going to fall in a few quicksteps and he was safe as I watched the ice come back up. I was not sure if I was going to make it home to see my 13week old son but I did . We all made it back safe. There was very few word’s between Peter and us when we got back to the cars. I can not believe that this individual put himself and our lives at risk for a Dollar . I hope the other fishermen out there made it back safe.
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Lucky

Post by Legend »

:) You were lucky my friend.

Great Lakes water and/or ice is dangerous if you are venturing into the unknown, especially with this insane weather. Before you head out get informed from multiple sources and trust your instincts.

Glad to hear you weren't a statistic.

:) Legend
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Thank God all turned out well for you guys. Glad you had the sense the sense to leave, and get out of a potentially dangers/deadly situation.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

That was a chilling story. I'm very relieved to hear all ended well, because it just as easily could have gone the other way. Bet you kissed the ground on shore...I would have.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Jello
Participant
Participant

Post by Jello »

That's freeky! I was fishing a local pond a couple weeks ago and while walking accross, I took a step on some ice only to see four cracks shoot towards my feet. So I know that feeling in the gutt you're talking about.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI RISKY..........

you guys sher are lucky....... :shock:

BUT ,that guy(outfiter) is a bad guide.,and a dangerous fellow,,,,,,,,mabe is outfiters name should be said,,,,,,,,,to make sher is will not kill or helse to anybody helse,,,,,,,,...... :evil:

like you said .he took money before your safety,,,,,,,,he did not want to tell ou before,,,,,,,because,,,,he no you guys would call off,,,,,,,,,,so he took a chance,,,,not telling you guys,,, :evil: ......

so lost your time,,,,,,,,gas,,,,,,,,and a day for that,,,,,,,*&%*%$,,guide.

BUT ,good thing it finish like this and you guys are all ok.

thanks for the story,,,,,,,,,,made us think twice before beleiving a guide,,,,,,,,good thing there not all like that,,,,, :? ,,,

take care and keep posted your fishing,and story,,,

joco
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Great read Ricky :!:
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

That man should be charged with knowingly putting peoples lives at risk.
A very foolish thing to do for a buck.
That ice would be getting worse as the day progressed and those 3 other idiots could have been fishing from bottom in thier shack
Norm
ps- glad you made it off safe and had the good sense to rope off and get the helll off
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

Scary for sure, glad all were safe
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Ricky,

So glad you all made it back safe. I can't imagine what was going through your head as you watch ice move up and down, bubbles under your feet, and cracks in the ice where you could lose small children. Something for all of us to take away with us as we head onto the ice.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Crazy

Post by muskymuskymusky »

Thats just nuts. Glad the ice held for you guys.

MMM
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I cant believe that guy brought you out there under those conditions. I'm in shock after reading your report Ricky. Glad everyone made it back safe! :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Peppino
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peppino »

Datta fella issa locky, notta mia enda ma boy witta hima!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: He wudda beena sleepah witta da fishah fo sura! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I just cringed when I read this story!! I'm glad nobody got hurt! But I hope Carmen will want to venture out on the ice again! That's one hell of an experience!
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Glad to read this story didn't have a bad ending and that you guys made it back on land safely. With the way the weather is this winter you can never be sure on the ice conditions. Everyone, please be carefull.

Cheers,

Mike