Not fishing but need advice on ATV problem.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Not fishing but need advice on ATV problem.

Post by muskymuskymusky »

My wife and i were towing the ice hut out and it got stuck. My wife put the throttle down for like 10 secounds in high gear. The machines started to smaell like rubber and smoke a bit. Then when i got on and tried to ride it in high gear it was different to the feel, it vibrated more and had less power. Ive been told its probably a ruined belt. My atv is new less than 25 hours on it and it is a polaris sportsman anyone know anything about this?

Thanks
MMM
Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

BELT DRIVE

Post by Bruin »

Although very easy to operate, Automatic Atv's use a drivebelt technology
Similar to a snowmachine....

You my friend...I WOULD SUSPECT have burnt your belt and now probably have a worn spot on belt....and or have streched it...I do not own an automaic...Mainly for that reason, but My buddy owns a Sportsman 500HO and the belts are guarunteed not to break...Don't know if they will help you with that though...

As for slipping, People say it doesn't happen anymore, but I personally have made the belt slip on new and old belt driven bikes.
They also sell a special gasket kit to help ensure you do not get water in there...

I would strongly suggest getting it in to be looked at,

1) to probably replace the belt $50- $100 for the belt and
2) to check the clutchs to make sure everything is ok...
I normally wouldn't worry about it, but if you were towing...I would stongly suggest it

Hope this helps
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

THANKS

Thanks Bruin im hoping it just a belt as been suggested to me by a few people.

MMM
Grappler
Participant
Participant

Post by Grappler »

HeyMMM

Never, Never,Never tow in High range, or it'll cost ya a belt every time. Just a little info.

Grappler.

P.S I wasn't implying that you were. But don't Also be carefull with your replacement belts you choose, The harder they are the longer they will last, but they inflict alot more wear to the clutch sheeves. Go with a soft compound belt and change it annually. Good luck :D
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Your first problem is its a Poo-laris...

It sounds like you have a bad drive belt. I own a 2006 honda. hondas run with no belts. hope its only a small issue for you. im just kidding about the Poo laris thing.
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

atv fixed

TY all, got my machine back today$ 70 bucks for the belt plus $75 labour :'( Crazy price man im going to have to learn to do ALL these fixes myself. No way am i paying $75 dollars an hour for these guys who will not even let me watch my own ATV get fixed.(i asked if i could watch them next time just to help me understand my ATV and they said no. Is that normall?) Anyone know of a good place to have polaris ATVs worked on or is it Polaris dealer or Yourself. At least its back and ready for action. ;D

MMM
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: atv fixed

Post by Graembo »

muskymuskymusky wrote: No way am i paying $75 dollars an hour for these guys who will not even let me watch my own ATV get fixed.(i asked if i could watch them next time just to help me understand my ATV and they said no. Is that normall?)

MMM
MMM
That's rediculous. If anyone ever told me I couldn't watch, I'd be outta there right then and there, truck, boat, sled, bike whatever....thats retarded, go somewhere else next time.

G
PS which shop did you take it to?
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

I bought it at Spoiled sports

Spoiled sports in Bowmanville.