Downrigger Question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fishquest
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Downrigger Question

Post by Fishquest »

I'm looking at buying a set of riggers for my boat. I'm not sure if I should be looking for electric or manuals. I'm going to use them for fishing a bit on Lake Erie for walleyes and maybe a trip or two out on Lake Ontario. Other times it will be on smaller lakes for lakers. They would maybe get used 10-12 times a year at the most.

Maybe as I'll use them more as I get hooked on fishing with them.

So my question is, do you think I should put up a bit more money and get the electric or would manuals do ok for what i'm using them for? I'm new to downrigger fishing so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Fishing Freak
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishing Freak »

I use both Scotty, and walker manuals.

I fish alone quite abit, and have very little problem clearing the riggers, and fighting the fish.
I have lost a couple of fish because of reeling in the riggers.
The elec. would be a bit better if fishing alone, but I find for the price difference, the price out weights the advantages.

I'm new to rigging too, once you get use to using them it so easy.

This is just my opinion, Others I'm sure will jump in with more.
GREYHAWK
Participant
Participant

Downrigger ques

Post by GREYHAWK »

Personally, I would bite the bullet and spend the extra on the electrics. Your fishing experience will become that more enjoyable especially, when fishing big water! Look for deals from charters at local bait and tackle stores. eg charter out of Wilson NY had Big Jon Fisherman Pack for $250 - met him at the Spring Fishing Show in Mississauga

If you still want the manuals, look for a style that has a good retrieve/turn ratio!
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Both are good and both will do the job, I use electrics and wouldn't change them for the world, as FF said when you have a big Salmon on and you are tring to clear lines the electric are worth there weight in gold, but that being said , Markus uses manuals and has never had a problem, so it will boil down to how much money you are willing to spend, I would always recommend electric :D
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D I used the hand cranks for 13 years..then I got the electrics. I love the electrics..like the difference in hand cranking an auger through ice or using a gas one. Also makes life easier if its choppy.
Fishquest
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishquest »

Thanks for the input guys. Being new to this is it normal to raise both riggers if you connect with a fish or do you only bring the one up you hooked up from? I imagine it could get quite busy trying to get them both up and handle a fish.

Mike
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Smokey wrote:Thanks for the input guys. Being new to this is it normal to raise both riggers if you connect with a fish or do you only bring the one up you hooked up from? I imagine it could get quite busy trying to get them both up and handle a fish.

Mike
Mike when I first started to fish for Salmon, when I got a fish on I would clear all the lines, now I just leave them set...unless I know it's a monster fish, I think when you first start I would recomend that you clear the lines, once you get a few fish you will become more comfortable , you will know, to clear or not to clear them,If I havew a boat load of rookies I would most defenatly clear them..I love to see rookies fight and catch their first Salmon. Good luck this year if you are going for Salmon...if there is any thing I can help you with just let me know :D
Phil
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Steve G »

Who are you calling a rookie, old man... :twisted:

Oh. That right only Bacon caught the Salmon... :evil:

So much for starting the new year off on a good note. :wink:

As you were. :lol:
Fishquest
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishquest »

Thanks again for all the input guys. I decided on trying out the manuals and see what I think of it before investing big bucks on the autos. I got a great deal on 2 cannon uni-trolls with everything I need included which helped me make my decision. I think for what i'm doing they'll suit me fine.

So know we just need to get the warmer weather so I can get the boat out and get them mounted.

Thanks to Everyone for helping me out.

Mike
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i often fish solo.

i own walker manuals.

i have no problems.

trolling is expensive....so i have a feeling powers aren't going to be in my near future, lol.
RV
Participant
Participant

Post by RV »

Walker makes a hand down rigger that you can change to electric at a later time , you could buy it manual at first then if you enjoy down rigging convert it to electric.
Harrison
Participant
Participant

Post by Harrison »

Hey Mike,

Let me know when you want to go out in Lake O, I'll grab my pops and you can join us or vice versa. You two can talk shop until we start to get'er set up, then its class.

Have ya dancin circles around a doggin chinny with the riggers down in a days time... :wink: :D
Fishquest
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishquest »

That sounds awesome Phil. Would be really great to have someone show me the ropes of downrigger fishing.

Any news in the Baby department yet? Isn't this the week?

Thanks

Mike