Fluorocarbon, Which ones did you try?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fluorocarbon, Which ones did you try?

Post by dh99 »

Hi Guys

I just started experimenting with fluorocarbon this year and I am somewhat satisfied. I tried Berkley Vanish last year and didn't like it, it would snap for no reason. I was using it for leaders and figured it a fairly new product, maybe they need to work things out. This year I bought some Vanish transition and the same darn thing happend, every time I tried to tie a knot snap. Needless to say it when into the garbage. I managed o find some Seaguar and it is great but the wallet didn't like it and it hard to find here. The tackle shops here still have the old stuff and the selection is poor, I guess I got spoiled in Southern Ontario.

Has anybody had the same luck as me with the Vanish, maybe a got some bad packages. HOw much do you guys pay for your Fluro?

DH
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

DH,

I've used vanish with lots of great things to say about it!!! Could have been a few rough batches too.The blue stuff wasnt 100% flouro, it was 100% coated, but heck I ran that stuff a ton for my leads for steel over the last couple years.The "Transition" is 100% flouro.Dont like it as much as the Seaguar, but it will do in a pinch.The P-Line JP will hate this,, but,, IT STINKS!!!!!!!!! I have tried it in 4 to 20lb test and from 3 different stores from here to Pickering, and it sucks :twisted:

For big leads Seaguar, for small leads, its expensive as sin :twisted: but Drennan 3 to 5lb is all I run on any trib now, I used the vanish for a long time, but only reason for that is no store in Ottawa caters to the Float fisherman so only when I made it to Oshawa and wasnt fishing :lol: I'd pick up the Drennan I wont run anything else but Drennan while floating now, I'll pay the 15$ a disk noooooooooo problem-O!!!!

Hope this helps ya a bit, and I'd be interested to see others reports too!

F.F
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dana »

tried1. p-line pure..its kinda..err ok
2. vanish..ok line but don't seem like its all fluoro
3. segaur...yep ..like it!!
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Dana, the "Transition" is 100% flouro, and will stand up well but the old vanish in the blue package wasnt flouro.

F.F

I guess Seaguar gets the top vote :lol: :lol: :lol:
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

apparently there are only 4 makers of fluorocarbon in N.America.... so you prtty much get 1 of the four...

i happen to like the P-line and Silver Thread... Silver thread being stronger, tho i'm not sure it's 100% fluoro as its only $20 for 200yds... but the 6# is stronger and more abrasion resistand than 8# p-line fluoro :-?
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

P-LINE STINKS!!!!!! :twisted: :lol:

F.F
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

dh

Vanish has quality control problem if you want my opinion.

I got some 15lbs that wouldnt break and would easily straighten treble hooks. :D

Then I got a spool of 20 lbs that would snap off on hookset when flippin in clear water. :evil:

What I learned is that it is IMPERATIVE that you wet the line when you tie the knot. The fluorocarbon is not as forgiving as nylon structuruly speaking and is more vulnerable to the heat-caused by the friction when tying a dry knot will greatly weaken the line.

If you ve never seen the heat friction test let me resume it by saying the the line is ok until the heat rise up to a point then the line break very easily.

Hope that help

By the way my sister lost what would have been a new lake trout record for lake Massawippi near your place last summer... :cry: Yep on vanish ... :shock: Yep right at the knot. :shock:

LL
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Here is my 2 cents.

Spanky wrote
apparently there are only 4 makers of fluorocarbon in N.America
You are correct. There are only a couple of companies out there that make Florocarbon line for all companies. What makes all them different is not the quality of the Florocarbon material, but the way it is extruded while making the line.

FF wrote

The P-Line JP will hate this,, but,, IT STINKS!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :x :lol: :lol: To be honest I like the 20lbs Florocarbon P-Line and up, but haven't had much success with the smaller lbs from P-Line Floro. I would go with Segaur for leader material. I have to say that the P-Line Floro coated lines are the best I have tried so far.

Cheers
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
SKEET544
Participant
Participant

Fluorocarbon

Post by SKEET544 »

My vote goes to YO-ZURI use the 20lbs. smoke. It reduces cut-offs by pike and increases strikes by walleye and smallies in clear water.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

I had some problems in the past with Vanish and won't touch the stuff anymore... the Vanish Transition on the other hand has been nothing but good to me. When I need good leader material for the tribs, I just grab the Drennan outta Float's chest pack. Doesn't cost a nickel :lol: :lol: :lol:

bucket
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

I picked up a spool of Vanish in a light test this past summer and it was horrible. I ended up re-spooling with some good 'ol mono during an outing and that was the end of that nonsense! Maybe the heavier test strengths have less probs or other brands for that matter.....not a convert yet.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

I bought some 8lb segaur a while ago, and am not impressed, I'm gonna go with the fact that it was a bad batch. Maybe it doesn't like the cold too much?? Who knows.

Cheers,

Rich
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

Hey all,

I used berkley 20 lb flourocarbon for my pike and bass fishing. Funny...it worked fine for me...used it in almost all situations for bass and wasnt dissapointed :wink: It may be because I only use a small "6 feet" lead and that may make it more durable. Next year i'm hoping to try power pro as a leader.

mike
tim_pinnell
Participant
Participant

Post by tim_pinnell »

I like the Drennan myself and if the tackle shop is out than I pick up my second favorite, Raven. I won't use Vanish anymore, the stuff gave me poor results. That Drennan is amazing stuff. Tim
Jello
Participant
Participant

Post by Jello »

So what do you guys think about Maxima florocarbon leader?

I was going order a bunch from Lebaron. I've had a heck of a time finding floro leader greater than 6lb around my area. Using Vanish at the moment.