A couple of Ice fishing questions

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

A couple of Ice fishing questions

Post by fatluke »

Hello All,

Going to give the ice a shot this weekend if the temperature stays down. Just have a couple questions as my ice fishing experience around Ottawa is next to none.

Petrie Questions... What time does the bait shop at Petrie open on the weekend? Do you find the fishing better in the morning or afternoon at petrie?

Mississippi Questions. Besides Baitcaster's are there any other bait shops around Mississippi? Where is there any decent walleye fishing on the lake? Where can I get parking and Ice Access?

And one last question.. What are your views about eating fish from the Ottawa or Rideau (Hoping for a walleye or crappie snack)??? I have only heard bad things from non-fisher persons...(the same I have heard about quinte all my life, however the fish are fine to eat from there....)

Any other hints, tips, places to go for any species around Ottawa would be appreciated. Those are basically the only two places I have heard of for ice fishing.

(Hoping Quinte will have ice for Christmas as I will be spending 10 or 14 days with the parents.....)
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Petrie Bait Shop opens at 9 am...Fishing times differ there depending on species.

Eating fish from there is fine.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Canadian Bacon wrote: Eating fish from there is fine.
Yeah - Bacon eats them all the time, and he's just fine

There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Yeah, ditto what Saskie said, Bacon's just fine

Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Coffee up nose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Choking!!!!!!

WB
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: A couple of Ice fishing questions

Post by Scum Frog »

fatluke wrote: Mississippi Questions. Besides Baitcaster's are there any other bait shops around Mississippi? Where is there any decent walleye fishing on the lake? Where can I get parking and Ice Access?
Baitcasters is it as far as baitshops, but they are an excellent spot so make sure to drop in and say hello! You can access the ice from Baitcasters as well as Grasshopper point ( Con 9 off HWY 7 ). Both of these wsill bring you on to the "big lake". There are many spots on the other portions of the lake as well, e.g LakePark ( C.P. )
As far as where are the walleye, well that is the million dollar question :)
To start, try area's where you have caught them during the open season and go from there.
Last edited by Scum Frog on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

To start, try area's where you have caught them during the open season and go from there.
Never fished Mississippi before... I guess I'll look for the crowds on the weekend and go from there... Thanks for the info on ice access RRC!
fishindan
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

another good spot

Post by fishindan »

Long Island locks is great. You can catch pike perch and more. Good eating too. Manotick Bait has all the bait you would need (minnows,maggots,waxworms and reg worms) Sat-Sun open from 7am-5pm call for the winter hours at 692-5463