Message From Markus

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

What can I say more then you already mantioned. Those people ho did that to Markus should be banned of the board and the other board they frequent thats is just insame.

I was really liking reading your post Markus and always had some great adviced opinion and good report as well.

I wish all the for you and your family on the hollidays and take care bud.
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:? :? :? :?

You know, .....reading all these tributes is touching, .....but it's kind of like closing the barn door,
....after the horse is already out........

He's gone for now, ......for concern of his family only, ....

Luckily, I've had a chance to fish with him, ....and I'm pretty sure, .....there ain't too many guys around, ...that could blacken his eys's anyways,
.......in fact, ....I'd love to be there when they tried...... :wink:

Here's a thought......
All of you who received help from him, .....actually replied after the fact, :?
....for thanks, ...or offering insights of what you discovered during your outings.......
Okay, ...guilty as charged (small things are important sometimes)

Lastly, ....Yeah, I'm disturbed by this, ..... :twisted:

When I joined this board a year ago, ...Mark was an integral part of what made this "community" so inviting, ......

I guess it's a whole new world, ....again.....

I know Fishhawk and Bobber definitely have a full plate to take care of now,
.....but any of you, ....who think that any threats, ... came from this board, ....just haven't been here long enough,
......I honestly believe that, ...and if I find out different, ....I'm outta here........... :!: :!:

Let's all just think about ............"things"

Mark, ......."Be cool Bud" .... :wink:

skooter
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

How to write this? He's not dead!

But it sure is different not seeing him logged on. And it is sad to think that we may not see him post again.

Has anyone said "Markus is bigger than life?" yet? I remember when Markus began posting. Immediately everyone knew that he was someone who loved fishin. I wondered if I was ever gonna meet someone who loved fishing more than me. And I did.

But he's the only one! :lol:

Then we all got a chance to meet him at Muskrat Lake for the inaugural Adventure Fishing Week-end. Was he determined to win the derby for biggest walleye? He fished hard with WIG all week-end and I don't think they caught more than two or three - which was two or three more than all 30 of us combined. They'd come in when it was dark and the rest of us were already around the fire.

And while we sat or stood around the fire laughing our heads off, Markus came to the circle with a fishing rod. He cast as far as he could in the direction of the lake, adjusted a few things, and sat down - finally ready to join the party - but still fishin. This was also the time we learned that Markus will smoke anything - now that I have had a carp steak I won't feel bad about saying "no thanks" the next time. That's smoked carp in that tupperware container in the picture.

Note the rod in a holder dug into the sand. Who was it said that someone should make "I wanna be like Markus t-shirts?" The guy who posted like he was bigger than life was proving it in person that week-end.

A few weeks after the Muskrat trip Reno Viola calls me while I'm sipping a coffee in Tim Horton's. He's got an event coming up in July - a reality TV show fishing contest called The Last Cull. Would me or Bobber be interested in participating? It was kind of short notice for us and we had to regretfully decline. A day later I was sitting in my office looking at the Last Cull website the Viola brothers had set up, and it occurred to me - these guys are looking for someone bigger than life to go to Lake Nippissing and help them create a TV show that would be entertaining. I called Reno back and asked if I could suggest someone. The next thing I was phoning Markus on the off-chance that he would go - representing FHN. And he said YES!

Myself and Bacon and Eye-Tracker met up with Markus a few days later. We had one day to pre-fish before the Last Cull events took over. It never occurred to me that Markus had never spent much time fishing for bass. I thought everybody fished for bass. Oh my Gawd! :shock:

What have we done? We've set Markus up to compete with some pretty fantastic tournament anglers from all over North America and he has never pitched a tube in his life! Mother of Gawd help us! I think he even said "What's that?" when I handed him my baitcaster. :roll:

:lol: :lol:

But if ya want bigger than life in a TV show - there he was. Too bad that the show didn't pay more attention to Markus - it would have been much more entertaining.

Incidentally, in pre-fishing for an entire day, Markus was the only one who caught a bass in our boat. :oops:

And there he is doing it - caught on camera by Eye-Tracker - what a BUGGER! :lol: :lol:

What drives a man to make more than 7500 posts on a fishing message board? No matter what his detractors have to say about him, there is no doubt that he does it because he loves it. Does what? He warmly welcomes new posters, does his best to make sure all questions are answered, goes fishing with just about anyone who asks him, writes fantastic reports, entertains with a quick sense of humour, and defends this community that he is largely responsible for having built. These people that Markus mentions - the ones that hold something against him - how ironic is it that it they should thank him for helping to create the kind of environment that even gives them a chance to be involved - that is until the stress of being a good human being gets to them.

Giving giving giving giving giving and giving takes a toll on a person. What does Markus get out of it in return? It seems to me that the pleasure he gets out of helping someone catch a whopper is all the reward he needs. And I believe that Markus has done much to bestow that same attitude in the minds of many people who frequent this Board. Unselfish sharing of fishing experiences is something that sets this board apart - it's the foundation for this Community isn't it? And I thank Markus for setting the pace on that front.

Markus - it you are lurking - I hope when your batteries are re-charged that you will stop in to tell us some more stories.

Thanks for everything.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

I'm so sad :cry: Don't be a stranger Markus!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Fishhawk....

That is your best post ever partner.....

RJ
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Well said Mike, very well said!

I sure hope he is lurking!
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Definetly one of the best fishing trips I've ever been on...

Astro-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Astro-Mike »

Everything has been said.
I hope one day to get out and fish with ya.

Mike
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

After having thought about this a bit more...it comes to mind that...

There are now laws in place in regard to threats via the internet. Fishhawk wrote a very good piece in regard to Markus but (and no disrespect intended Mike), threads have been locked and shut down for "politically incorrect" content. I would think that this is a FAR more serious issue. If anyone associated with FH has been making threats against another member, I'd assume @ the very least, that they have a perm. ban and their ISP provider contacted. Any provider would cut em' off @ the knees in a heartbeat for such online actions. Thats the way we did things @ a site I used to OP. Such threats should never be tolerated.
Its my hope that something concrete is done about this to prevent it in the future.

It is indeed a very sad page turned for FHN but perhaps for the better good, in the end, if we rid ourselves of such individuals in the future.
trapperdirk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by trapperdirk »

:evil:
Last edited by trapperdirk on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

:shock:
Last edited by BBRich on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trapperdirk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by trapperdirk »

:evil:
Last edited by trapperdirk on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfish1965
Participant
Participant

Post by bigfish1965 »

Markus and I have known each other as mods from 'competing sites' for quite some time. We have always had very cordial and very open discussions.
I know some of what has transpired on one of the sites I mod. Markus and I, like most of the mods of the larger sites in Ontario, talk quite often about troublemakers and tips on things that make the boards run smoother. There is alot of cross-talk between board mods and admins so we keep each other informed of things and people to look for.
How grown men can act like complete bloody children is beyond me. Since Markus is a member of all the sites I admin for, once we have a confirmation on the culprits (one we already know), they will be banned from these sites as well. (Threatening a board member in any way is a violation of our TOS).
I regret the loss of Markus' input as often as he has helped here and on other sites. I respect his decision to protect his family.
We will find you....every site like this has basic functions to track all the emails and PM's sent out. We will eventually know the truth.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Ok, this is the kind of thing that sucks about mesage boards!!
Mark says he is gone..people follow with well wishes and saddness at the loss for the board and for alot of us on a personal level aswell.

Mike as Rj said....

Now!!!!

The last few posts although I find who ever is doing these action deplorable if in fact this has happened....Trapperdirk, I think BBR is right on this and maybe it wasn't the right place to post what you said. Calling someone out is also not really welcome here..if ya wanna do that do it via PM or another way but do it privately.
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

well said Mr. Fish-hawk.