Who's up for a Simcoe trip !

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Gilford

Post by Legend »

:) If it were me MMM, I'd defer the trip to Cooks Bay until there was at least 5-6" of good ice.

I've fished Simcoe for a number of years and can honestly tell you that while I've seen people out fishing in such conditions, the wrong wind will rip it up in a heartbeat. Trust me, the Perch will be there when the ice firms up.

Besides, there's little enjoyable about fishing while nearby a helicopter lifts body bags from the lake. (Happened to me personally.)

:) Legend
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

yep

Post by muskymuskymusky »

Hey legend,
when i saw how wet and heavy the snow was this morning i decided against the trip. To be honest though legend im not to affraid of going through the ice where their is no current. Did a couple test last year found out for myself what its like to go through. I know it is very dangerous but to us who are prepared it really can be just a day ruiner. This is my opinion.Someone who has tried their picks and learned the proper way to manuver should be able to free themselves from non current water if they go through. Now the ice breaking up happens and thats different but then again i was just going to stay very shallow and close to shore if i went. thanks for the heads up anyhow.

thanks
MMM
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:shock: Cold test!!!
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

squig69 wrote:i'll be in but i have absolutely no icefishing gear :oops: havent icefished since i was 17.

chris
I have an extra "simcoe tipup" you can use :D
squig69
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by squig69 »

thanks Crash. :) all this new stuff for icefishing seems odd. all we ever used was a small thin tree branch with a small piece of cloth or plastic tied to the end and the line was wrapped around with it and stuck it in the snow. anybody still do this or is that gone the way of the dinosaurs? :?

chris
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

I guess that would depend on where you go fishing.
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

SALMON wrote::shock: Cold test!!!
VERY refreshing. :wink:
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Sleepers

Anyone interested in getting one of the cabins out there for this trip. Stay out on the ice and fish in the morning on the sunday aswell. See if anyone is interested then i will see about rates. I would like to stay and fish for 2 days.

MMM
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

I should also be able to make it for a day.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

squig69 wrote:thanks Crash. :) all this new stuff for icefishing seems odd. all we ever used was a small thin tree branch with a small piece of cloth or plastic tied to the end and the line was wrapped around with it and stuck it in the snow. anybody still do this or is that gone the way of the dinosaurs? :?

chris
I use the branch and ribbon all the time while fishing for trout..... :wink: I guess you can ''Rig'' one up for perch...

-Andrew
tipper
Participant
Participant

Post by tipper »

Hey guys
I'm as new as it gets to this board, but I must say it's the best one I've ever seen. Just got back from Simcoe, fished couch onMon and then went to waubashene for some walleye on tues. perch was non stop with alot of sortingbut managed 50, 10"+. walleye was a bust. Talked to some guys that fished cooks and said it was pretty slow. Thats how I found this board, searching for other options. Planning to come up next week for a couple days and fish the river.
Anyways keep up the good work and hope to meet a few of you on the water.
Tip
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

So as february fast approaches...do we have ice on Simcoe on the lake trout/whitefish grounds?
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Seems hit and miss right now Simon. A guy posted about some good fishing off kempenfeldt sat. 8" of ice. Returned to fish Sun. and the ice had literally been blown away :shock: Ice is staying solid in Cooks, up to 14" in places now, whities and lakers are real rare there. Let's see what Feb brings :wink:
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

More of a miss than a hit right now.
Cooks bay for perch still good ice .
We tried our luck on Kempenfelt bay Sunday good 8"+ of ice but we were only out at Minets point ( Barrie) .
Supposedly there is there is Whities there but didn't see much action .
I think Beaverton are is still good as well.
Hope to get out one morning this week.

Whatever you do check conditions first , its a day to day thing right now.