Ice fishing destinations?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Ice fishing destinations?

Post by fishforfun »

Anyone planning a unique or different trip this year? Personally I'd like to try for Lakers in the 30,000 Islands this year. Temagami or Nippissing would also be nice.
jbarker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jbarker »

I want to fish quinte for a trophy eye. all I have ever caught was 2 pounders through the ice. I was supposed to go but I went to the simcoe ice derby instead. Won't make that mistake again. I would also like to get out with someone who knows how to catch crappie.
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Well I would like to target trout and smallies this year mabey once or twice! a few places near my cottage should hold a trout or 2!
Northamfishing Tackle
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Jason I told you i will be there soon :lol: :lol: :lol:
Northamfishing Tackle
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Booking 3 fly-in day trips. Will either being doing Kesagami 3 times, or Kesagami twice and Sandbank Lake once. Supposedly crazy enormous pike in Sandbank.

Also, hope to do two skidoo excursions. One back to Missisicabi for the day, and the other to an unknown lake just off the North French River about 70-80 km away.

Looking a little more forward to the ice this year.
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

I plan on spending most of my time this winter inside the garage with the heat turned up pouring some baits :( God I hate winter, I'd rather go to the dentist than go ice fishing. :? Only 6 more months till I can go fishing again :x :x :x
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

If I can somehow scrape up the money I'd like to go a little east over to Ottawa on some weekend and try this Petrie place everyone is obsessed with. :lol:

Other than that, maybe Lake Simcoe or some of the lakes a little north of Peterborough are about the furthest I'll be going.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Big Bass Rich wrote:If I can somehow scrape up the money I'd like to go a little east over to Ottawa on some weekend and try this Petrie place everyone is obsessed with.
Simcoe :wink: You should definatly try to make the derby though 8) .

I got into alot of decent size walleye last year, but took a while to find them first.I wouldn't mind fishing a few lakes(Red,Rainy,and Wamplers lake) in Minnesota that they say hold 2 pound slabs with walleye on every point of the lake.

Or Quinte, a double digit through ice would make my winter!

Andrew
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Nipissing would be a nice place to try for wally's, but I definitely wanna try for trout on ice this year, missed a couple of ice fishing trips last year because I only had one vehicle, but i've got 2 now so any ice fishing trip i'm in. Got a power auger for Xmas.

Quinte on ice would be good too. Would be nice to catch a big wally that wouldn't go thru a 8"hole without persuasion.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Will be making some Busines related trips to Thunder Bay / Dryden area this winter and hope to convince one of my nehews to get out on the ice one day.
One of them also runs a trap line and have already made plans for that trip !
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

I'm going to a few new places...

I'm going to stop hitting Petrie every weekend :shock: Just too busy there now :cry:

will be switching focus to trout :)
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Carlco wrote:I'm going to a few new places...

I'm going to stop hitting Petrie every weekend :shock: Just too busy there now :cry:

will be switching focus to trout :)
Sounds like a plan :D
Well and truly hooked!
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dh99 »

I am hoping to get to Nipissing during the holidays, GOing up there to see the family but I heard they changed the opener to Jan 1st.

I used to love fishing for Lakers threw the ice, but no laker fishing here in Quebec. Going to stick to Memphrémagog for Perch and maybe some ouananiche or rainbows.

Would like to head up to Simcoe. Great Perch fishing.

DH
trapperdirk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by trapperdirk »

I'll be fishing right here like always because the distances between lakes is minimal and most species like eyes,lakers,brookies,pike are readily available .

TD
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Nowhere fancy for us this year. It'll be our last year ice fishing for a while so we'll stick with what we know: Buckhams, maybe a day trip or 2 to Mississippi or White and our annual troutin' trip up north.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.