our weekend on the niagara

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
squig69
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

our weekend on the niagara

Post by squig69 »

my cousin came down from carlton place to head out on the niagara with me for the weekend hoping to make it out to the bar for a laker fish and hopefully a pick-off a bow or 2 :) . things looked a little better on friday with about 1 1/2ft visibility and seeing 2 boats get a couple bows out in front of me got the juices flowing, was hoping for the clarity to improve for at least saturday. got to the river at about 7:30 and bumped into FOG just starting to set up, quick look at the river and it had a nice colour reminisent to a "large double double" :cry: . seeing as my cousin drove all this way we headed out anyways to try our luck with a quick run out to the bar. about half way down the river the water had a nice "chop" to it :? (first time i seen that in the river) and rounded the last corner before the mouth and the lake greeted us with HUGE-*** waves:shock: quick turn-around back up the river. . we pounded the drifts with everything we had till about 3pm and called it a day, 1 hit for my cousin and that was it

up early sunday and back at it again hoping our luck would change. reached the bar by about 8:30 and flat as glass but had the same colour as yesterday. drifted for a couple hours and noticed a nice green tinge to the water just west off the mouth and headed straight for it and tried a few drifts in some clearer water, nothing, but marked quit a few fish (at least i think they were fish), should have brought the trolling rods and a few planner boards. back up the river for a few more drifts and called it a day shortly after lunch with a nice skunk for the weekend. :( im a sucker for punishment

all i can say was that it was great fishing with him and if you were in the river you could probably hear us laughing about the good ole days all weekend. he was just amazed at the scenery fishing in the gourge and he'll be back with me again to try our luck in the new year, hopefully with better luck next time around.

chris
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

Even with the water conditions sounds like time well spent. :D
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D :D

Tough one there squig, .....too bad on the one miss.... :cry:

It's amazing how fast conditions can change down there.... :roll:

It still sounded like a heck of a lot better way to spend a weekend than a lot of people, ...... :wink:
Hoss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hoss »

As the old saying goes....." ya had fun tryin"

I would imagine those fish will sure be hungry when the conditions change to someting more clear. Next time :D
squig69
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by squig69 »

time well spent it was :) and a long time coming too.

that 1 miss was hard to take, was hoping that he would at least catch just 1. the river is very humbling :oops: though he cant wait to come down again. hes like my other uncle, once hunt season opens up the boat are pulled from the water. his house backs onto the mississipi in carlton place and im hoping to get out with him next season for some largie fishing. :D

Hoss, i hope the fish are starving on my next trip out :)

chris
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Good effort Squig. I know the conditions you were faced with and putting in 2 solid days fishing them is comendable.

It's gotta improve! We'll have a few fish to show for our efforts soon! Keep at er! :P
squig69
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by squig69 »

i dont think "comendable" would be the right word, considering the known water conditions :lol: but thanks for using it :P . the river is kicking the be-juzzus outta me this fall. :shock:

chris
squig69
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by squig69 »

heres a pick of my cousin enjoying the day. he bought a mustang survival jacket for the trip too, not sure if he took the tags off them yet either :) but has it on under his hunting jacket.

after saturdays trip somehow i lost my net somewhere. not sure if it was left at the launch or what but cant see it blowing out of the boat either. the great guy that he is he insisted on buying me a new one on sunday from the only bait store around thats open at 5am. :D this ones alot better than the one i had and the handle extends to about 7'. cant wait to try it out.

just hope the openning is big enough for all the big fish im going to catch next year :roll: :)

chris
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

sounds like you had fun regardless....

last time there, on friday, we trolled that green water for three hours, with the planer boards....

nadda.
squig69
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by squig69 »

steve
did you mark anything on the finder? we tried trolling with what he had in his tackle box (j-11 and williams whitefish). we marked a few patches in the green area so that when we thought we'd at least try.

chris
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

yep, we were marking quite a bit as a matter of fact...

no takers though.