Ice hut whole?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ice hut whole?

Post by muskymuskymusky »

My questions are. If i have a 2 foot by 4 foot rectangle whole in my hut and a 9 "power auger (no chainsaw) whats my best options for my whole cutting? i mean i want at least 2 wholes each time i go out so do i need to move my hut after i drilled 4 wholes or can i redrill a whole after it has frozen up solid on my next trip? I have been told redrilling wholes is no good for your auger blades is this true?

Thanks.

MMM
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Use the auger to drill your holes. If you are out a lot, you can normally open out the holes with a spud. If they are frozen over, just slide your hut over a few feet and drill new holes.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Attempting to redrill your holes, once frozen over, can prove to be, well, a pain in the derrier, and i hear it's not recommended for your auger blade.

Use a spud bar as Markus suggested, works for me :!:
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

I redrill holes all the time, no problems yet. They auger blade we have has cutting teeth on it not just a smooth sharp blade.
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

re-opening holes is no problem with power auger... not recommended for manual augers...

holy frig triple M you'll be fishing in style this year new hut,quad, and power auger!!! sweet forsure!!!
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymuskymusky »

jammer13 wrote:re-opening holes is no problem with power auger... not recommended for manual augers...

holy frig triple M you'll be fishing in style this year new hut,quad, and power auger!!! sweet forsure!!!
No kidding im an ice fishing pro or so i will look anyhow :oops: :lol: Cool new toys forsure. :D
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I reopened old holes last year with my FinnBore with no issue at all.....
Luke
Participant
Participant

Post by Luke »

When we ran ice hut rentals on Nippissing we tried a couple different makes of gas augers and found that the jiffy was the best for opening old holes, no matter how thick they were frozen.. The other makes we had would bind in the hole and the auger flutes would bend... Not a pretty picture when inside the hut with your hands pinched betweeen the wall and the auger handle!! That was 10 yrs ago so some of the new augers may be just as good or better now, but that's what we found...L