Magnus Fishing Nets - My Opinion

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Magnus Fishing Nets - My Opinion

Post by Markus »

I finally had the oppotunity to try the new Magnus Fishing Nets that are on the market. We had the privilege of gettitng a great product demonstration recetly at Quinte.

I loved the feel of the net in my hands. It has a great grip and handle on it.

It extended very easily and has a decent length handle.

It has a decent depth in the net to properly secure a netted fish.

The built in scale feature is a great added bonus and it seemed very accurate. Great hands off feature for releasing the fish with zero handling.

I was however disapointed with the hoop size. A bit on the small size. It's not bad for netting a 10 pound walleye if you're anchored and are scooping the fish. But I troll Quinte and stopping the boat isn't an option when you have multiple lines out....so you have to net the fish out the rear of the boat while moving forward. It's easiest to have a net that you can lay in the water and let the angler with the rod steer it over the net and then simply lift the net. Scooping a fish can be tricky for some under these circumstances.

Will I buy this net?

Yes.

I think it's a really good net for bass, perch, shakers and sheepies....and any smaller fish. It unfortunatley doesn't meet my needs for a big fish net.

I hope Magnus comes out with another net designed for bigger fish. They have a good quality product.
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dh99 »

Thanks Markus

I was just about to ask you how that net was.

DH
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

I like the big hoop net when trolling, but Hoss uses a hoop that size with the rubber mesh and never missed a fish. First time I tried it netting his first fish on the Quinte adventure weekend :oops: Don't know how he does it? Nice looking net Markus is there a warranty on it re if the scale quits working?
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

A net for perch??? Maybe only Bacon sized perch... :lol:
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Thanks for the report Markus,
I prefer the small hoop and deep basket for netting walleye. My preference is not to place the net in the water as the fish is approaching, I like to wait until the fish is within reach, I then scoop under the center of the fish and lift upwards so it folds into the net, the fish then extends and can not come out of the net. I was taught this technique by a walleye pro a few years back and I have never lost a fish since. I really like the design of the Magnus net, the built in scale will really help in tournaments for a quick release or cull.

Cheers'

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

ET, that is a great way to net them, but what I found with that tecnique is that it doesn't mix well with a fish that has a large body bait loaded with trebles stuck out it's mouth.

My first time with the net and I got the hooks tangled on the edge of the net and it thrashed to the outside of the net....I made a quick recovery , but nearly lost the fish. Not a problen with a bigger hoop.

I too like the scale in the net! Great feature. :P But I don't think it'll be percise enough to relly on for culling unless you're trading a 6 pounder for an 9.

That net was WIG's. I gotta find a store that carries them so I can pick one up for myself.
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

if memory serves me I think it was mentioned that the net scale was plus or minus 0.3.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Markus wrote: I gotta find a store that carries them so I can pick one up for myself.
CTC had 'em in Picton :!: Maybe they do elsewhere :!:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Price WIG?
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

jammer13 wrote:A net for perch??? Maybe only Bacon sized perch... :lol:
Ouch :wink: :D
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

RJ wrote:Price WIG?
Have the memory of a sieve but, I believe it was $59.99 or $69.99...