Gordo/RJ's Ice Hut Project.....(Updated Dec. 11th)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D :D :D

Looks great there RJ, ..... :D

Just wondered though, ....how come the walls ain't all bent, ...like the plans say they should be? :shock:

As far as the painting, ......you can do it in blue and white at any temperature... :roll:

and it won't flake and peel off in the spring either, ..... :lol: :lol:

PS,

Could I borrow it when you're done with it next year, ......beats the hell out of my current doghouse, ....(some old "black" thing I found in the middle of a field, ....at least, .....I think it was a field.....) :lol: :lol: :wink:
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

Possible Names:

Tubby's winter cottage...
Sinkers Lodge...
GOTCHA Hotel... :lol:
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gordo »

jammer13 wrote:Possible Names:

Tubby's winter cottage...
Sinkers Lodge...
GOTCHA Hotel... :lol:
I hope your referring to RJ on the first name :wink: :wink: :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gord

NPAA#553
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

RJ/Gordo

Looks good, can't wait to see it on the ice, Phone Topwater ,we have a portable wood stove used by the Military to heat their Bell tents it's Small but works great.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

big-o wrote:RJ/Gordo

Looks good, can't wait to see it on the ice, Phone Topwater ,we have a portable wood stove used by the Military to heat their Bell tents it's Small but works great.
BTS has hooked us up with a woodstove.... :)

We are at a crossroads design wise.....

For folks with huts....is your roof flat?....angled?

RJ
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

RJ, the House of Fillets (god rest her sole) had a flat roof and it stayed clear of snow. Bare in mind, you have a lot more surface area.

I may consider a 1 peice slopped roof if I were you.
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

You remember my hut last year RJ....????? Go with the angled or peaked roof. Flat roof will always leak after a couple years.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Muskiemagnet wrote:You remember my hut last year RJ....????? Go with the angled or peaked roof. Flat roof will always leak after a couple years.
What he said!

Not to mention, the weight of the snow can become a factor for sure! Let it slide off the peaked roof.. :wink:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Muskiemagnet wrote:You remember my hut last year RJ....????? Go with the angled or peaked roof. Flat roof will always leak after a couple years.
I remember it well.... :lol:

Sloped it is.....doing that now is the challenge... :lol:

RJ
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

RJ wrote:
I remember it well.... :lol:

Sloped it is.....doing that now is the challenge... :lol:

RJ
Just slope it from one side to the other. Just have to build it up a tad on one side sloping towards the other..
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Steve G »

:shock: :roll:

You should double up your top plate on the supporting walls also. (Tall and short side) the 2 other sides will be non supporting. With 2x4 minimum for rafters. I would suggest 6' high on the low side and 8' high on the other... if you still have that height available.

Do not go much lower than 5' at the lowest side... place 2" styrofoam betwen the rafters, this will hide roofing nails. However may need heat deflection over stove so it will not melt...

I can hardly wait till monday to see the results. :twisted:
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

The Hut

Post by Legend »

:) The project is looking good so far.

I'd go with a modest slant to the roof... If you're going to be putting it in a wind corridor consider an air foil profile. :lol:

The sliders are a concern too... Not that you have to worry about thin ice in your neck of the woods, but thinner rails invite more concentrated pressure on the ice surface. Consider a cheap pair of skis or something to spread the pressure out a bit. And FWIW, I'd bolt two chains, one to each slider, and bury them in the ice to keep her anchored and secure.

Good luck guys.

:) Legend
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

We have divised a game plan for Sunday... :P

We are removing the top three sections of the walls.....leaving the front as is....then cutting down on an angle from the front to the back....7' in the front....6' in the back...this will be a bit tricky without taking the walls off but we decided we didn't want to spend another day re-framing the walls....

The door will be done....

We will be cutting out window holes.....then measuring them up for me to punch at work next week...

We are going to go with a base coat of red paint.....well probably 3, 4, or 5 coats.... :lol: .....

The debate of insulation came up..... :lol: ....we haven't seen the stove yet...so we're gonna wait and see how it heats the hut before we spend $100's on insulation....

A fold down table was also thrown at me from Markus as an idea to play cards as well....I like that idea.....it'll be one of those later additions I'm sure... :wink:

Wish us luck.....report Sunday night to follow.... :P

RJ
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

looking good RJ, can't wait to try out the final product.

Joe
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Where's the pic updates :?:

Did I miss 'em :?: :shock: