Boots and Gloves???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JFish
Participant
Participant

Boots and Gloves???

Post by JFish »

Ok, I'm going to be purchasing some new boots and gloves soon. Hoping some people can give me some recommendations here. For boots they will be used for both ice fishing and fishing on the boat in colder weather therefore...they must be warm and waterproof. The same goes for gloves, they must be warm and waterproof and..if there is such a thing..ones that don't suck in all of the slime and smell from fish when hadling them. Basically they wash off in the water nicely.

Thanks,

JFish
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

I wear Sorel -100's i've gotten 5 seasons out of them so far and no signs of wear yet... They are a little big but have never had to worry about cold feet since... A tad pricey but you get what you pay for....
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dh99 »

I have a pair of rocky blizzard stalkers, had them for 2 years and they are great so far. Not cheap but Like Jammer said you get what you pay for.

DH
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

PM Nighttroller, he bought a really warm pair of boots that he uses on the ice, he swears by 'em! I can't remember who makes em though.

bucket
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

I had a pair of white military Boots(have the white shell too)for years and I would wear them for 10 to 12 hours at a stretch and not get cold.
One night I Drunkedly put them on the heater to dry them out. 15 minutes later I notice a smell in the hut. You guessed it! Burnt! and we were on a lake in a condo for 3 days. Fortunatley I always bring sneakers for hut wear.(keeps the floor dry and that helps when you are living there for 3 days.)
Norm
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

http://www.sorel.com/footwear/mens/NM1071.html

Best winter boot I have ever owned - Not exactly these but close(mine are rated to -80).
Got them in Winnipeg so I'm not sure when to find them here. They cost a pretty penny (don't remember exactly, but it was high) but I have never had cold feet. If they get wet you just pull the liner and stick in a dry one.

I purchased a pair a little big for me and it works great cause I can wear some heavy socks with them. I mainly use mine for snowmobiling and walking trails in the winter. Not the best for hiking (I should buy a winter hiker) but my feet don't get cold and my circulation is not the best.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Sorels for boots, but I see no replies yet for the gloves. I too am looking for a pair of warm waterproof gloves - cold hands is the usual reason for getting off the water this time of year. I have some lightwieght gortex gloves that I put handwarmers in, they are okay but my thumbs suffer - more as I get older :?

Any glove tips guys??????
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Mine are Sorels too! Had to check there first :!: Never had a problem with 'em yet. But yes, they are big and bulky :!:
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

I can not help you for gloves. The only gloves I know that are really WaterProof are the neoprean ones, but I don't find they keep my hands warm, just dry.

For winter gloves I wear a pair that I picked up at MEC, they are nice, water resistant, but not water proof.
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sparky »

Gloves for fishing: there are lots of choices, but none is perfect.
Those flip mitts are sort of warm, but annoyingly bulky and awkward. Fingerless wool gloves are OK if it's not too cold.
Neither of the above is waterproof. Neoprene is, and that's what I use for cold-weather paddling.
Once winter rolls around, you might try this: I have these really thin leather dress gloves, purchased at one of those Bentley's outlets at the mall. They're not very durable, but they are so soft and thin that you can actually feel fishing line through them. They're not very warm, and I don't think I'd want to waterproof them with anything greasy like Dubbin, but dry silicone might do the trick. When it's really cold, I wear them under a pair of those rubber Eskimo ice-fishing mitts. They are very warm, grippy and completely waterproof, but very bulky and clumsy. That's where the thin dress gloves come in. You can take off the Eskimo mitts and your hands are protected and still able to handle a reel, adjust a ski or snowshoe binding, etc. Hope this helps.
Braeside
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Boots and Gloves - and a History Question

Post by Braeside »

I have some mild issues with Rheumatoid Arthritis, and when it gets cold/damp, I've been treated very well by my Irish Setter (Tracker) boots, and Rocky gloves. :)

Now, does anyone remember or have a pair of good ol' Kaufman boots? Those with the olive green uppers with yellow-ish soles. I have a pair I bought at Farmer Brothers in Arnprior back in 1987. I've got them pretty well beat up, but those boots and a good pair or two of wool socks still beat anything in the mid-spring and fall for comfort and dryness. :P

Cheers to all.
birdman
Participant
Participant

Post by birdman »

I have had a pair of Baffins for several years and I have never ever had cold feet. Even now that the felts are getting worn, they are still toasty warm.
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

My feet freeze when I think of going outside in the winter until last year. I bought Windriver boots at Mark's Work Warehouse and I highly recommend them!
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

I do not fish in the winter, but during April and December walleye fishing trips I like to wear SealSkinz gloves. You can still feel the action of the line and baits and the gloves are waterproof.

cheers'

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Sheldon, where can you get a pair of those!?
TY