first go at Muskies - Muskies 1 Scuro 0

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

first go at Muskies - Muskies 1 Scuro 0

Post by scuro »

Went up to my local lake to try my first go at Muskies, it was chilly.
Got lots of excellent advice and I did learn to to throw large chunks of wood a good distance with a baitcaster. They make a terrific splash.

The water temp was over 60 degrees...this is October man... The fish where still following summer feeding patterns. All of our hits were in the morning or evening. Thing is, the few fish we did catch were not in there typical locations. Pike were out of the weeds and on the points. Muskies were no where to be seen. Caught 0 muskie and a couple of small bass and pike.

Major lesson learned? If you're fishing for Muskie, fish with someone who has a similar goal and put the time in. My cousin thought we should switch locations, lures, you name it we tried it...but in the end...we should have just put time in our target areas. No time, no results.
...anything to bend the rod
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Oh no Scuro.... :?

Some just can't find the confidence to fish for them long term.....

Maybe next time!

RJ
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Nice going

Post by Legend »

:) Good try old man...

Them Ski's have skunked more than their fair share of folks...

When my personal commitments are taken care of, feel like hitting the Nanticoke outflow?

:) Legend
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Scuro...

Must keep casting!
U will get tired!
Shallow or deep? The big question!
Keep casting!
I spent too much $$$ on these @#$%&! muskie baits!
Everyone else is catching them & posting pics...what about ME?!
Sore muscles...but keep casting!

Hey, bud, I was skunked by the tiger muskies on Sunday...don't feel too lonely! :lol:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Yeah Legend....I'd love a go there.

Muskies...the fish of a thousand casts. There is a learning curve here and I travelled up the curve and then rolled down to the bottom. lol With Muskie, like other fish, you can do everything right and still get skunked. I'll just be doing less things wrong next time :P

Don't worry about me, I'm stubborn. I just keep on going at something till I get it right. Then I decide if I want to continue with it.

I'll be out there next Thanksgiving and if I can work it, perhaps in a few weeks.
...anything to bend the rod
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Won't catch 'em if you don't try obviously. And even a little time is better than none I'd think bud. A valiant attempt. And Chris, make the time if you've got it to get out to Nanicoke with Legend for sure. Think back to BC and the fun smallies provide. :wink: