THE ROAD TRIP Report. South then Home. Part 3. (30 pics)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

THE ROAD TRIP Report. South then Home. Part 3. (30 pics)

Post by Moosebunk »

Ya Kev pretty much summed it up. Truly an awesome week meeting great folks and fishing our arms off. Here goes a little play by play.

Picked him up in Ottawa. Thanks Rox for letting me have him for a week. We hit the road, stopping here and there but got to the Ganny quick so I could get my first fish. Batteries dead in the digi a kind young girl shot pics of my first fish from the other side of the bank, pretty wicked cause I'd only been float fishing for about 20 minutes then I got a fish.

And so it went for the day for me but Kev wouldn't be left out.

And so we left to cheap motel it in Ajax for the night.

The next day after heavy rains the Ganny was packed with dickhead snaggers but as well.... TONNES OF FISH :D :D :D It blew our minds the run of salmon and Kev was in awe, at times not knowing where to drift. :shock:

The doubleheader worked. :D

It was tough fishing. I went about 2 for 30. It was frustrating trying to play salmon through hundreds of other salmon in the pool. I think I ran a bad batch of 6lb Vanish for about 6 fish too. Later in the day I tried my 6wt fly rod. In 7 casts I hooked and played 5 fish for a period of time. The chinnies were rising to the top of the water as soon as my streamers hit the surface. Didn't matter the pattern, they were eating it. One salmon battled me for about 40-45 minutes before breaking off, at that point I was tired of it. It was addictively fun but 30 boots will tire a man.

That night we made it to Brampton to stay 2 nights with Kev's friends Rob and Nancy. They were two of the most pleasant and gracious people I ever met, and Rob and I traded my flies for his homemade muskie lures.

Next day we hit Bronte for a few hours in the afternoon. Turned out more a scouting mission cause the river was totally blown.

Next day on our return the waters still sucked but Kev got into a bow early on and I hooked a chinny. Mine was snagged, his got off. But, Kev made another score that day for a sweet parcel of brown roe.

I got a fish later on and Kev took a walk down the creek, then we went to Kitchener to pick up the goods. 8) Here's some pics of our Bronte day.

Kev out for a stroll with a fish.
Peregrine for wolfe.

And lastly, Kev's big score......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

That night FF and I made it to Delhi no probs. I thought immigrants stayed in the little houses along the way, but I guess that's where they dry tobacco. So I'm a dumbass, so what.

Markus had us up next day to hit Nanicoke outflow on Erie. Cooooool spot. Fishing started slow but we destroyed smallies that afternoon. Well, at least Markus and I did cause Kev played sheepies to our delight all afternoon. :lol: :lol: :lol: WTG Sheepie king.

Crash and Joe making a morning appearance.

This day of smallie fishing was fantastic. Just awesome. Big fish just kept coming. See ya soon Mark. :wink: :lol:

We stayed two nights with Markus and Allison. Thanks a tonne, it was alot of fun and great to meet the fam. :D

We got out of Delhi early and zipped up to Bowmanville. Rains the night before blew that river and high winds made floating a real bitch. We took off to the Ganny and tried the Glen by mid afternoon but fishing was tough there too, so it was back into Port Hope to see if any were home in the pools. We fished a short while with nothing and then I finally hooked into a big salmon. After a long tussle Kev goes to land the thing for me and makes a rookie mistake :wink: :shock: :lol: . I could have shot him, I was exhausted that day and in foul humour, and there went my only fish for the day. :(

On to Hoss's place we went.

Chinese food, lots a booze I zonked out around midnight.

In the morning up and at 'em we left Oshawa at Hoss's to get back to the Ganny. To Kev's surprise, but not mine :wink: :lol: fish we're still coming in off the lake. The morning went slow, then all hell broke loose. I went about 20 for maybe 40 for the day. I don't know, the later in the day the better it got. Here's a fistful of pics.

And as the shlams kept coming, a shout screams down from the heavens and gives Kev his most cherished gift. He plays the magnificent fish in only his true elegant fashion.... stumbling.... bumbling.... and yelling after it down the river. The whole world knew Kev was into a bow. It was insanely fun to say the least. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And then the shlams kept coming. Including this freak. :shock:

The day was coming to a close when I lost the entire rig on a fish. Hoss was on route home after standing in cold water with wet feet for the day. Awesome meeting ya big man, thanks, and looking forward to the sturgeon with ya in 07. I decided then I'd give the 6wt one last go. I snagged 2 fish at first, then mouth hooked 3 after that. I lost them all. Finally, one hooked itself well on a Motto's Minnow. The fight was on, and to save on suspense I'll just tell ya I won. I got a chinny on my 6wt and that was enough to call this trip to a close. 8)

Here's me looking to capture some sort of classic fly rodders photo with my catch.

Special thanks goes out to all those who put us up and put up with us.

Kev, like you said, truly a piece of time we shared together that will be cherished and never forgotten. Thanks a tonne bro.

Total gas bill for the Road Trip $712 to go 4596km. 600 more km on the Polar Bear, a tonne of km's in the tube and on foot. Priceless. :D

Just for crap and giggles on the way home while waiting the night in Cochrane on sunday I hit Lillabell lake for some pike action. Managed 19 pike in 3 hours. Just my day I guess. 34-35" got out of my hand before a pic but here's a not so bad fish anyways.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

Bunk and FF;

All i can say is WOW!! A trip of a lifetime forsure..
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

W O W ! ! !

Now there's a report and a half for ya!

EXCELLENT account of what was obviously a fun and fantastic and FISHY adventure.

Here is my favorite pic, 'Bunk. You stud, you. 8)

Seriously, some great shots, enormous fish, smiling Hawk Talkers and pretty scenery. You & Float will have lots of great memories from this trip. Thanks for sharing them!

Also, thx for the falcon shot. :P

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

WOW!!!!

Glad you made it down to this end of the province! :lol:

Breath taking pics fellas. :shock: :P
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Ugly fish need love too, after all, Brenda has kept you around this long right? :P

Great report Bunk. Looking forward to your next trip down this way. We'll hit RJ's musky spots (in Saskie's boat). :D :D :D

MT
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Dare I say best report of 05? WTG guys! Looks simply amazing. Quite the roadtrip Bunkster. Sheesh had I known you'd be so close by I'd have bought ya a cold one.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

M.T. Livewell wrote:Ugly fish need love too, after all, Brenda has kept you around this long right? :P

Great report Bunk. Looking forward to your next trip down this way. We'll hit RJ's musky spots (in Saskie's boat). :D :D :D

MT
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm in the doghouse right now after working the afternoon away at the comp fixing pics and making reports. I'm one ugly fish she's ready to release. :?

But I'll still have wolfe, she thinks I'm stud. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was great fishin' trip hands down.
fish_man_dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fish_man_dude »

amazing report...
could you guys suggest any salmon spots?
i live in richmond hill, somewhere within a 1 1/2 hour drive so i can still make it to school...

Thx a bunch,
tight lines....
Lucky4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lucky4 »

What a nice trip you guys had! Congratulations for all the big chinooks and the good pics!

Lucky4
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

scuro gurgles...the fish just kept on getting bigger....I'd be happy with any ONE of those fish.
...anything to bend the rod
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Awesome trip!! Simply amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your great reports and pics!!! Thats one trip you'll never forget. :D :D
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

swweet report bunk :D
those are some awesome looking salmon, and smallies. Good to see ya had some fly-rod action :D
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

3 great reports there Bunk!! I'm sorry we did'nt get hooked up if only for a pint :lol: I'm thinking a run on the polar bear express is in the future, maybe we could get a few of us to hit your home waters next spring, summer down here :wink:
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D :D

That's the great thing about this board, ...you can plan a trip just about anywhere, ...and hookup with a bunch of people you know, ...sort of, ...well you you don't really know 'em, ....actually, ..you do , ..kinda.., :roll:

.....Ah forget it, ....ya can't explain it......, but you all know what I mean, ....I think? :shock: :lol:

Excellent pics, ....and commentary,.....I'm sure you left your mark down this neck of the woods, ...wish I could have joined in for awhile :cry:

Great trip guys, ....and one to remember for sure, .... :!: :!: :!: :wink:
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Fantastic report! Thats one trip you're gonna remember forever! The pics are amazing! :shock: :o :D :D :D :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"