Buying bad fishing line.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Buying bad fishing line.

Post by Markus »

I was pretty disapointed yesterday when I lost a few nice smallies due to the line breaking. I just spooled up with fresh 8lb Trilene and after a couple break offs, I stripped some line off and inspected it. I could easily pull on the line and snap it...right to the bottom of the spool. :?

I purchased this lie at CT. Is there any dates or coding on boxes of fishing line that indicates the shelf age of the line? Can it go bad sitting on the stores shelf?

Glad I found this out yesterday and not at Bassin for Bucks this Saturday.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Hi Marcus. Yes line can go bad sittting in a store. It all depends on what temp and area they are stored in. UV light like the type put off by Florecent bulbs can destroy line even very quickly if any light comes in contact with the spool. Sometimes dust build up will give you an indication on how old the stock is. I store all my spools in the crisper of the fridge so they last forever.
Hope this helps
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
topraider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topraider »

I have no problem using old line - I'll happily spool stuff 10 - 15 years old, I've kept it cool and out of the sun. And that includes 4 lb test. Naturally, I'll give it the old pull test

Did you leave the spool of line in the sun or in your hot vehicle? Or maybe CTC did.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

I have no problems at all...I use Power Pro :D :D :D :D :D :wink:
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

"Pound for Pound, nothing fights better than a smallie" ... quote from just about every fishing show host I have ever seen.

Get that sewing line off your reel and put on some of the good stuff.
Hope you weren't planning to use that at B4B ... it will break your heart. :P

MT
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

MT. Please.

"pound for pound" doesn't change the fact the fish is only 4 pounds and my reel has a drag. The line should not break on a hook set or when the fish jumps.

I've landed 10lb+ bows, lakers, pike, cats and carp on lighter line.

8lb trilene has never let me down...until yesterday and after pulling on the line and discovering it was brittle, I knew it broke because it was rotten, not because of the 4lb cockroach. :lol:

You can bet your last dollar i'll be using 8lb mono line if ET and I decide to fish deep water for smallie.

If we're in the slop, the rope will be used. :P
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

Trilene let me down twice and know i am a Super Silver Thread user.. Great stuff and stands up alot better.... hmm the second time it let me down was at that said CT store... :roll: I get all my spools done off bulk now...
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I agree Jammer. CT, NO MORE FISHING LINE SALES FOR YOU! :lol:

I do like the fact that I 110 yard spool holds 110 yards, so when ya respool, pick up a 110 yard spool and spool up! :lol:

I think I'll move to bulk too.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Had the same experience with Berkeley Iron Silk in 10lb from CTC... many rave about how good the stuff is but I refuse to try it again after such a bad experience with it the first time around. Can this be a CTC or dept store issue? I've never had a bad spool from a reputable tackle dealer... so that's the only place I buy now.

bucket
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I think I was more disapointed in loosing my gulp! $8.99 pack! :shock:
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Markus wrote:I think I was more disapointed in loosing my gulp! $8.99 pack! :shock:
I normaly only put on one piece...not the whole pack, maybe thats why your line broke :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
ontariodreaming
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ontariodreaming »

JP wrote:I store all my spools in the crisper of the fridge so they last forever.
I do not think I can get my wife to understand me keeping my line in the crisper. JP, what humidity level should the crisper be. :lol:
bosc
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bosc »

I had trilene smooth casting on everything. Had 3 bad spools in a row from 3 different stores in the spring. Took it off the reels again and send it with a note back to Pure Fishing. They send me new spools. Have PP on all rods now even for the kids. That fixed the line breaking problem in a big hurry.
fisher
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Buying bad fishing line.

Post by fisher »

Markus wrote: I could easily pull on the line and snap it...right to the bottom of the spool. :?

If it was all the way to the bottom of the spool then it doesn't sound like it was damaged by U.V.
I have had "Bad Batch" problems with Trilene in the past,switched to Maxima and Ande line now and no more line problems.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

I was having the same prob with a no name brand line Markus, so I thought I'd give power pro a shot. Haven't had enough time on the water since I respooled to really know just how good it is. If the monster sauger I hooked @ the Rumble is any indication :roll: guess I won't need to worry. :lol: