Trailering weight?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ScottyDon't
Participant
Participant

Trailering weight?

Post by ScottyDon't »

I would like to buy a small fishing boat eventually and am wondering how much boat I can tow with my ford escape V6. According to ford it has a max towing capacity of 3000lbs with towing package and 2000lbs without. I don't have the towing package but will just get a hitch put on somewhere. So how much does a 14-16ft boat weigh all said and done with trailer,motor,boat? Thanks in advance!!

Scott
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I have an escape. and i tow my 14ft and trailer with it but I do have a tranny cooler Yoy should get one installed or do it yourself it's not too expensive.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

You will have no problem at all trailering. My 14 tinny with 9.9 probably weighs 800lbs at most.... but with FWD, carefull on really steap launches. :D
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

I got a Tracker Deep V 16 and it is just 1600 lbs (boat and trailer I believe)...You will be fine.
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jimmy »

I have a 20-ft Legend aluminum. 115HP 4 stroke merc on back. whole package w/45 gallons of fuel..weighs in at 2000lbs. I pull it with my 3.0l Dodge Grand Caravan.. and it pulls it easy. If that boat was of the fiberglass type.. it would come in at roughly 3500-4000lbs. Way too much for my vehicle.

As wallyboss says... make sure you have a tranny cooler... the $100 is well worth the investment.. no matter what you pull.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

The 17' VIP is 1320lbs.
But the manufacturer suggests the towing weight is 2500lbs.
So, a 17' fiberglass boat may be a little much for the ford.
With that said, I use my chevy astro to tow it. May cost me a transmission down the road, but I gotta fish now! :D

M.T. Livewell
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

I tow my Ranger with my Escape XLT 4x4. It tows VERY well. I have the towing package on it (tranny cooler). If you don't have a tranny cooler, you can have one installed at CT for about $150.00 if you're not mechanically inclined. The Escape / Tribute is an excellent vehicle for towing up steep ramps...(ask Scumking about our's here....it's like mountain climbing hehehe!) and it comes out like a breeze. The great thing about them, and the reaon I chose it, look at how many times you tow a boat or trailer during the year....and how many times you drive the truck not towing anything....the 3.0 liter gets excellent mileage. If I lived down south and towed my boay year round, that would be a different story. A bit of advice, don't tow in overdrive....it's harder on the tranny....and the gas...

Mikey
ontariodreaming
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ontariodreaming »

Based on the size of boat you are talking about, you should be fine. Get the tranny cooler and do not use overdrive like mikey said. A fiberglass boat or a composite boat like mine is much heavier than tin one. It definately sounds like you have something to work with. I had to by the tow vechicle before the boat. :shock:

I had to get a vechicle that could tow at least 4000lbs. Boat 2000, motor 530, and god knows how much 44 gallons of gas weights (I know how much it costs :cry: ) Here is my tow vechicle

Here is the boat (Tupperware according to Wolfe)