finding the larger carp?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

finding the larger carp?

Post by scuro »

We went out last night and found a good spot for Carp. We had very steady action in the 2 to 5 pound range. All we simply had to do was throw out corn on a hook ten ft from shore, on a flat, near a channel.

So can I do anything to increase my odds for fish in the 10 to 20 pound range? I saw a very large fish being hauled out of the same area.
...anything to bend the rod
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Move.

If you're catching 2-5lbers then the chances of consistantly catching big fish is unlikely. Yes you may catch the odd bigger fish but changing how you fish isn't going to make any difference. Either way you'll still have to go through 10-20 small fish before the chance of a bigger one. If they ever make an appearance.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I follow this guy... :lol: :lol:

He knows....

RJ
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sometimes anyways :roll: This year i've only managed 1 over 30lbs and the average weight seems to be lower too... go figure :roll: I can't wait for those first frosts to hit i'll be back out there for sure!

Oh and i recently purchased 20kg of boilies as i got a great price but the downside i've caught 3 mice in my utility room already and it's not even winter :? :lol:
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gordo »

John,

You and I need to get out... let me rephrase that... I'm now begging you to take me out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me know if you have any space on your fall trips. My wife makes a mean sandwich... ask RJ :wink: :wink: :wink:

Gordo
Gord

NPAA#553
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Gordo wrote:John,

You and I need to get out... let me rephrase that... I'm now begging you to take me out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me know if you have any space on your fall trips. My wife makes a mean sandwich... ask RJ :wink: :wink: :wink:

Gordo

Hey John....he's on the right team for a fall Carp fishing trip :D :D
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Gordo we'll get out for sure.. probably early october is my bet.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

John wrote:Gordo we'll get out for sure.. probably early october is my bet.
.....a Boat trip or a shore trip????
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Shore trip :wink:
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

I was amazed at how easy it was to catch carp. I have fished for Pike on this agricultural run off lake for years and I had to really work it. That was my first time fishing for carp and it was constant and steady. I'm just looking to upgrade the model. :D I have heard may a fish flop in this lake on a sunny evening....and I imagine they were carp. I see them on the surface.

So it gets better with first frost? I thought we were at the end of the season now. :lol: :lol:. I'm a complete newbie to carp fishing.

So I take it John, that you stalk your prey. what percentage of your time are you stalking and what percent fishing? Any tricks to stalking?...and finally what areas of a lake would you start looking? I simply went to the place where I saw someone else haul out a big one.
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Carp

Post by Legend »

:) Scuro... You and I both agree we live in the worst area of the province for general type fishing... all the good spots are an hour or so drive away.

Locally, I've got a pretty good Carp spot, but like you say, it's either feast or famine for the bigger fish.

We should try and hook up sometime, I think I know a place that is somewhat overlooked and occasionally holds big fish.

:) Legend
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Carp can be easily patterned. They're like cattle, toss some hay over the fence (or corn in the case of the carp) enough times and they'll soon make that spot a regular visiting place in their daily routine.
Brandon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Brandon »

Are there are any lunkers on the Ottawa/Rideau. I don't expect anyone to name spots or anything but just wondering if it's worth setting up shop on those shorelines or if headin down south is the best bet.

Brandon
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Markus wrote:Carp can be easily patterned. They're like cattle, toss some hay over the fence (or corn in the case of the carp) enough times and they'll soon make that spot a regular visiting place in their daily routine.
So I'm not to look for carp structure? :lol: :lol: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Carp

Post by scuro »

Legend you got a pm.