ATV vs Snowmachine? (double posted in Nonfishing)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

ATV vs Snowmachine? (double posted in Nonfishing)

Post by muskymuskymusky »

i am in the market for one or the other. Not sure which will suit me better. I plan to use it Mostly for ice fishing purposes but need a couple of questions answered befor i shell out all that doe.How much snow is to much snow for an ATV 400cc machine on average? What is the best make of an ATV? What size tires are best for snow? How do they do climbing hills in 8 to 10 inches of snow and ice? Can i buy chains too help it climb?
I know thats alot of questions but anyone being able to answer even one of them foresure please do. If someone has both an ATV and a Snowmachine please if you have time i would love a Pros and cons to both. Thanks in advance and i am sure i have alot more to ask but cant think of them right now.
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

ATV

ALL SEASON MACHINE!!!
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

I'm gonna have to disagree with Dave on this one! I was on an ATV last year and let me tell you I got stuck way to many times, in the late season I was so stuck I thought I was gonna have to leave it till spring :shock: The machine is a 93 Quadrunner 350, so maybe a newer bike with better clearance might do better, but in fresh snow u don't stand a chance. On the packed trails you're fine, the minute u get off that trail.... hope you got a winch and some good strength :wink: I'd go with a sled, that's what I'm doin this year no F in around.

Cheers,

Rich
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi muskymusky

compare,12 months to 4 months(mabe),,,,,,,,,,,, :o

skidoo is realy hard on gaz,,,,,,,,, :shock:

it not to good to use a skidoo on bare ice,,,,,,,,

i would get a atv,,,,,,,,first

and a good old skidoo,that dont cost mutch,,,,,,,,

or even the two off them used,,,,,,,,,,,,for les then one new,,,,,

in snow a skidoo is better that a fact,,,,,,,but new one are so heavy,,,dont get stock wit one,,,,,,, :x ,,,,,,

joco :P
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Agree with Dave.

All season machine. All season machine. All seasone machine. And, probably cheaper to own (not necessarily buy) and operate, with more space for your toys too.

And, in a pinch you can throw a plow on it and make mince meat of all the fresh snow on the driveway.
Grappler
Participant
Participant

Post by Grappler »

Where are you located, and what are your winters like ? as well do you have access to crown or private lands in the summer time. ATV'S have trippled in technology since 1993, and are capable of going thru alot of severe terrains, unfortunatly modifications to a stock machine are usually required and with this comes a cost. Hands down you will get alot more year round use from an ATV. But if you get heavy winters and primarily want to use it in the winter than a sled might do ya better. And yes you can get chains or tracks for your ATV.

Grappler
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Rich, You wanna sell'r then? I'll trade ya?

I am probally going to buy a slede but just because of price, not convience...Man you must be a real bushwacker Rich....You still have to take me to you know where :wink:

Bunk, What do they use more up there?
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

5-6 months of snow Dave. Usually start skidooing as early as halloween or 1-2nd week of Nov, and stop about mid April.

Minus 20-50C Mid Dec thru to about end of Feb makes it hard for some to start their ATV's, everyone has a skidoo or two but probably 1 in 10 have an ATV.
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

10-4 bunk, so that is just you opinion...and it's a good one I may add :wink:
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Dave,

Anytime bud :) , infact it's getting that time, only four weeks left, and then it's only ice time, If I get stuck in the sled I'll change my tune! But Joco's probably right that they are hard on gas, ahh to each his own I guess :wink:

Cheers,

Rich
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Oh I meant anytime for u know where :wink: as for the Bike... she is awesome in spring :) 8)

Cheers Bud
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I had a 96 polaris XLT special 600. I took it off trail once into the powder. Make the mistake of getting off the throttle and sunk into the deep stuff. Took me and 2 other guys to get her out.
At least an ATV can have a winch.

Good luck.

MT
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

wee have a Yamaha bruin at the cottage, and it is used all seasons! I would go with an atv. I cant see anyone with a snowmobile in the summer lol!
Northamfishing Tackle
wishin I was Fishin
Participant
Participant

Post by wishin I was Fishin »

As someone said here it depends where you are from and what kind of winters you get. I tend to fish more in the winter than in summer and have both bikes and sleds. No matter what anyone says once you start getting into 8"of snow or better the bikes start to become useless...chains or no chains even a 500 4x4 like we have. Track kits cost about $3500 and definitely will crawl thru some preety deep stuff but the one I drove was exhausting to control and was not very maneuverable..especially from standstill. ie must be moving fwd to start turning either direction, but definitely unstoppable in open field type of terrain. The other factor is comfort. Once it gets cold I find the bikes a very cold and uncomfortable ride. You are sat much more upright and exposed (even with a windshield) than you are on a sled. I personally believe that nothing replaces a snowmachine (long track) in deep snow/bush travel. But you know the minute you spend big bucks on one that we will get a winter with no snow!! My advice would ultimately have one of each. One of the snowmachines I have is a little Bravo Trapper and it is unstoppable in powder and slush with myself,gas auger and all my gear and sometimes pulling a sliegh as well. I only paid $1500 for it a few yrs ago so it doesn't have to break the bank. Depending on how much you want to spend that would possibly leave enough funds for a bike as well that definitely does allow for a longer season. Have fun shoppping.

Another thing I forgot...bikes get stuck in slush easy as they seem to cut through the top crust on the lake rather than ride on top of it like a sled and when you are stuck in the middle of the lake there is no winch cable long enough to reach the trees on shore! Made for a lot of huffing and puffing one day!
Astro-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Astro-Mike »

take a look at a argo. I have a friend that has one, great machine for hunting and fishing.