Walleye fishing the Gouin Reservoir at Nemio River Outfitter

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Walleye fishing the Gouin Reservoir at Nemio River Outfitter

Post by Tomcat »

McQ and I fished on the Gouin Reservoir 3-10 Aug at Nemio River Outfitter (http://www.nemio.com/). This outfitter is located on the Nemio River, one of 7 major spawning rivers for the reservoir, in the western portion of the Gouin Reservoir. Although we fished the river occasionally, most often we opted to make a 15 minute run (15 foot aluminum with 15 HP) downstream to Baie du Nord. The area is beautiful and the amount of sand beaches and sand bars is awesome. Driving time from Ottawa was approx 7.5 hours with about 5 hours of that on good quality gravel logging roads (graded daily). Driving distance from Ottawa was 480 km. I was able to safely maintain a speed of 75 km/hr most of the time. Only tense moments were when we would meet very large logging trucks with immense loads going the other way at 80 km/hr. The dust created by these huge trucks leaves anyone else in a complete "white out like" situation. Consequently, when you saw a logging truck approaching, you checked your rear view mirror for other vehicles behind, you slowed down to a crawl and you pulled over to the right as far as possible. Twenty seconds or so after the truck passed, you could see well enough again to continue. Here's a pic of McQ running on the Nemio River.

Here's a pic at the entrance to Baie du Nord.

Another pic of the entrance to Baie du Nord

Evidence of lots of sand bars and sand beaches

As for the fishing, we had 3 thunderstorms during our stay and no doubt, that impacted the walleye fishing to some extent. On our best day, 2 of us landed 40 walleyes in 6 hours of fishing. Most of the walleyes we caught were 15 -19 inches in length. Our biggest landed was 22 inches and we lost a bigger one (about 25 inches) at the boat. We were unable to find any schools of bigger walleyes - a little disappointing from my perspective. We enjoyed 5 walleye meals while there (two of which were breakfasts). On our worst day, after a morning thunderstorm, we landed only 6 walleyes in the 5 hours before an afternoon thunderstorm. In all, the two of us landed over a 100 walleye in 6 days of fishing.

There is no slot limit yet on the Gouin (anticipated for 2007). The walleye possession limit is 8 and for northern pike is 10. Methods we used were jigging, bottom bouncing and crankbaiting. Other clients in camp only jigged and were rewarded daily with more but smaller walleyes (most were 12-16 inches). We also caught approx a dozen perch and approx 2 dozen northern pike. We didn't target pike - they were merely picked up fishing for walleyes. All pike were released, the biggest of which was 8 lbs.

We stayed in a new 2 bedroom cabin built this past spring that had a shower, a toilet, hot and cold water in the shower and in the kitchen and a screened porch with a view of the river. Although this cabin could sleep 8, the cabin was ideally suited for 4 fishermen and possibly 6 in a stretch - there just wouldn't be sufficient room for 8 guys and their gear. New 15 foot Starfish boats (Princecraft) with 15 HP motors worked well. My only negative comments would include the lack of many walleyes > 24 inches, the needless hassle to get ice and the occasional lack of camp water (reservoirs empty). Here's a pic of our cabin (like a duplex with each side sleeping eight). Windows were installed during our stay.

Hosts (Ron and Rosie) were outstandingly friendly and hosted a pot luck dinner (included lots of freshly cooked walleye and sweet corn) for all camp clients our last night in camp. Wild blueberries were plentiful as evidenced by the fact that one client picked 15 quarts in 2 hours. Rosie even surprised us one evening with 2 pieces of her prize winning wild blue berry pie. Scrumptous!!
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Sounds like heaven to me!!! Great report!
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Great report Tomcat!

Must have picked up some great tips from McQ I'll bet :!:

One question, where's all the fish pics :?: :lol:

I agree with Saskie, looks like heaven :!:
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

It truly was a great week, we fished 5 - 6 hours a day and managed some excellent meals ans a good limit to bring home. Provided some fish to others in the camp and generally had a fun filled time. Tomcat is an excellent partner and we shared many stories and past history. I would do it again in a heartbeat - great location, excellent company and even with the bad weather days the fish were on too.

I'll be setting up a similar trip next year at the same time - stay tuned.
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

Sorry I didn't respond earlier Wig - I was away in Windsor visiting family.

Yes, it was a pleasure to have the opportunity to fish with McQ. As for tips, they were numerous. I was particularly impressed with McQ's effective use of his sonar unit to stay on a school of walleye or even stay on one walleye while back trolling. Indeed, every so often, McQ would yell out "get ready to get bit" and almost every time, within seconds, one of us would have a hit.

I'm not a very big fan of jigging to get walleyes - I'll do it if that's what it takes to catch them - I'd much rather be trolling (e.g. bottom bouncing, crankbaiting). However, McQ insisted we switch to jigging whenever he found a school of walleye on a break. The first time this happened, McQ introduced me to what he referred to as his favourite swimming jigs. These jigs were about 1 3/8 inches in length. The weight was relatively thin and oblong with a slight curve. We used leeches with these swimming jigs and we caught walleye every time we used them - made a convert out of me. Another tip was the use of Berkleys 2 inch Power Grubs (Pumpkin Seed) on each hook of a worm harness.

I'd recommend grabbing any opportunity that comes along to fish with McQ. I had a great week!
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

great report! looks like a beauty spot!
Last edited by jig head on Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northamfishing Tackle
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Must be fun and educational to fish with McQ. He sure nows how to explain stuff . IE his article on bottom bouncing and Beads + Blades.
I'm hooked on bottom bouncing and backtrolling since I read it. Walleye opening weekend this year was hard fishing, I burnt about 15 gallons of gas and mostly all of it in reverse, at Dumoine Lake. the whole group (9) only caught 57 eyes this year compared to close to 300-400 the other years but my boat caught 43 of those 57. So thanks to Mc Q and Eye tracker
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Grappler
Participant
Participant

Post by Grappler »

That's an excellent report Tomcat, love to hear about the northern trips.

Thank You :D

Grappler
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Tomcat, great stuff. I gotta try the backtrolling business one of these day going up river. Think the boat will go anywhere or would it be better to just anchor :wink: :lol: