Boat Insurance Ottawa

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Boat Insurance Ottawa

Post by ady »

Iv'e been back through the posts and can't find any references to insurance. The new boat arrives soon and this one will need a little better cover than the old one which went on the house policy. Can anyone please recomend a good insurance broker in the Ottawa west end...
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

We went with Bradley's in Stittsville cheapest we could find, and as I discovered after my little mishap this winter they actually do take care of you too.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
U.L.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by U.L. »

Hi ady, I found Premier Marine Insurance to be a good company. I would think any of the Brokers would deal with this insurance company. They deal mainly in marine insurance. Hope this helps.

Cheers
UL
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Take a look at this older thread.. there was a lot of disucssion over what everyone is paying :

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic.php?t=2760
Misses Livewell
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Misses Livewell »

you know, i was talking to MT about this very subject this evening.
I said "we need a boaters policy"..
MT - we have one
ML - no we don't we have a PLUP
MT - no, they asked all the boat details
ML - did we get another policy in the mail? wait, let me answer that since you never open any of your mail and i have to do it for you... NO
MT - hmm, guess we should look into that - did you read my LPB report
ML - yes, that's why we need boaters insurance!!!

So here is an example of a boater policy with my company....

What does boat insurance protect me against?
A Boatowners Policy can insure you against most risks of owning and operating your boat, its motor and its trailer. Just as importantly, it can protect you against liability lawsuits, should you injure someone with your boat or damage their property.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What questions should I ask about boat insurance?
Are my trailer and boating supplies covered?
Do I get discounts for completing boating safety courses? Which ones?
Am I covered for both inland and ocean boating?
Are there any unique exclusions or exceptions in my state/area?
Are younger operators covered?
Will I receive the actual cash value or replacement cost if my boat is totaled?
What payment options are available?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'the company i work for' Boatowners Insurance policy protects your boat, motor, boat trailer, and boat equipment against loss or damage from sinking, fire, storms, theft, capsizing, stranding, collision, and explosion.

Property covered includes:
Equipment permanently attached to the boat, anchors, oars, electric trolling motors, extra fuel tanks, tools, detachable canopies, seat cushions, life preservers, skis and their tow ropes, and dinghies.

Liability coverage includes:
-Watercraft Liability coverage provides protection for legal liability because of an accident resulting from the ownership, maintenance, or use of your watercraft, including bodily injury, property damage and legal defense.
-Watercraft Medical Payments coverage pays medical expenses up to the limits in the policy for you, your resident relatives and other occupants of the boat injured by an accident arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of the watercraft.

-Additional coverages include those for: Newly acquired watercraft covers your newly acquired watercraft for damage caused by an insured loss.
-Reasonable repairs covers repairs incurred to protect covered property from further damage.
-Emergency service pays up to $500 for reasonable costs that you incur resulting from specified emergency service to your boat, motor or boat trailer.
-Wreck removal pays the reasonable expenses you incur for any attempted or actual raising, removal or destruction of the wreck of your watercraft when damage is caused by an insured loss and removal or destruction is required by law

rates will vary depending on alot of variables - one constant, the more policies with one company (not one broker) the better your rate.
ie. life/home/car (more than one even more discount/boat/PLUP etc..

ML
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

When I bought my boat I got it covered under my home owners policy.

I found it interesting that they had a flat rate of coverage, $3000.00. I didn't see or read that this was pro-rated over on of the three things insurance covers, boat, trailer and motor, sounds like I should make a phone call and ask for specifics.

The increase in insurance was less than $175.

It did not occur to me that I could have in fact gotten a seperate stand alone boat policy.

This is a very good thread, thank you Misses Livewell.
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DV_8 »

I get my insurance from Rhodes & Williams. They specialize in marine insurance. My premium costs $550 a year and covers me for 2 million liability, theft and fire on land (while trailering) and on water. It also covers for all perils on water which means if I hit a log or rocks and damage the boat or motor it's covered. It also covers all my accessories which include my kicker motor, electric motor, GPS, fishfinders, down riggers and any other accessory that's attached to the boat. I think it's pretty good peace of mind and worth the money.