FF + GPS

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

FF + GPS

Post by ady »

Hi guys n gals,

I know there have been a few posts recently on fish finders, but I can't recall any refering to GPS. I am looking at getting a fish finder with GPS but can't make up my mind, any recomendations would be much apreciated. Primarily I have looked at the Lowrance LMS332c and the Eagle Fishstrike 1000c. The display resolution is different but the Eagle has a bigger display. The lowrance LCX20c is nice but a bit pricey.

Any thoughts please.....

New boat in 4 weeks - ish
Pepe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lowrance

Post by Pepe »

Ady

My Triton that I bought this spring came with the Lowrance LMS 330C. I think it is a great unit. I would definitely recommend it. It was a quick unit to learn with.

You will need the mapping chip for the GPS. I ordered mine through Ed at Paddletales. Ask him for the Gold series - it has every navigable waterway in eastern ontario (approx Toronto to Cornwall to North Bay area).

Good luck - it will definitely be an asset on your new boat - it was on mine.

Pepe
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Lowrance

Post by ady »

Pepe wrote:You will need the mapping chip for the GPS. I ordered mine through Ed at Paddletales. Ask him for the Gold series - it has every navigable waterway in eastern ontario (approx Toronto to Cornwall to North Bay area).
I hadn't thought of this budgetwise, what ballpark cost are we talking for a chip
Pepe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Chip Costs

Post by Pepe »

Give Ed a call at Paddletales - (613) 774-BASS - I believe it will be less than $300 but you will have every map on the chip. They are unbelievable - shoals, wrecks, beaches, buoys, launches, docks, ..... you get the picture.

If you have the time this weekend, come to Rideau River Provincial Park for the Renegade Bass weighin at 4:00 pm. Alot of the boats have various models and I'm quite sure any of us can show you first hand all their features and benefits.

Hope this helps.
U.L.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by U.L. »

Gid'ay ady. I don't want to be a fly in the ointment, but personally I don't think I would want an all in one piece of equipment. If one part breaks you have to send in both for the repair or if the broken part is not repairable you end up replacing something that isn't broken also. For me I would buy each individually. Good luck with what ever you decide, they are an excellent addition to your boat.

Cheers
UL
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

I take your point UL and have considered it. Budget limitations may mean 2 lower quality units, from what I have seen, the cost of 2 individual units does not combine to give the cost of a dual unit. Anyway, the new boat does come with a small fish finder that I shall move up front so I should never be without a depth finder.

Thanks Pepe, that's the second good comment I have had on the 330, I was wondering if the lower resolution of that unit would be a problem. the 332 replaces it this year but I have found one at a cut-down price. Closer look time.

Thanks guys.