Line help???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Sheldon Yuke
Participant
Participant

Line help???

Post by Sheldon Yuke »

Hi Everyone,
I just got back from my yearly fishing trip to Algonquin park for monster Bass. :D :D Went in for 4 days and my wife and I caught over 40 nice bass, Largest was a 5.6 large mouth. I have had horrible luck using Trilene last year. I wrote the company and they sent me a free spool of 10 lb test easy cast. Well thursday I get up early and respool my line with this crap, I took off the 8 lb stren that was on it. big mistake. Finally we are in the canoe and get to my spot. 4th cast big hit set the hook, snap, tie back up 10 minutes later good hit set hook, snap. What the hell? Now I'm getting mad :evil: :evil: I lost at least 18 fish over the 4 days we were there and my wife outfished me 4 to 1 which was fine but I was very upset with Trilene. I'm not going to contact them about the crap they are currently making but I won't buy any more line from this company again. I was fishing stren this year with great luck. I am thinking of going back to stren but welcome any suggestions?? What line do you use??????
Sheldon Yuke
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Nothin' Better

Post by Cyber »

Hiya SY!!! :D Welcome Aboard, DUDE!!! :D :D

I got just 2 words fer' ya' Man!! "POWER-PRO"!!!!! 2 Stronger words cannot be found!! I pondered them fer' quite a while because it's expensive, but I got tired o' losin' lures trollin' when all I'd do is snag weeds!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: So I broke down & shelled out the $20. fer' a small spool o' 30 Lb. test and NEVER looked back!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Hell, I've hooked LOGS trollin' with that stuff & I swear it turned the freakin' boat around but it DIDN"T BREAK!!!! :shock: 8) 8) 8)

Well worth the investment IMHO, s**t, Saved much more than $20. worth o' lures already!!!! Check it out, Man!!! I'll NEVER use Mono again, can't cast quite as far, but I mostly troll anyway, always have my best luck doin' that!!! 8) 8)

Take Care Bud!!! Cyber Out!! 8) 8) 8)
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I agree with Cyber but you have to learn to tie it with the Palomar knot,cause most other knots will slip.

Power Pro all the way
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Power Pro

Post by Cyber »

Wallyboss is absolutely right!! :wink: :wink: I was a "Boy Scout" waaay back!! (b4 we had matches!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and tying knots can be a challenge!! :evil: :evil:

But when ya' buy a box o' P.P. it comes with a pamphlet that has EASY to follow directions on "How To" tie a few different very useful knots!! :D :D I personally used the "Double Uni" to tie the P.P. to approx. 30' 0f mono I left against the spool face on my reel, works like a charm!!!!! :wink: :wink: :D :D

I'm sure if ya' spring the X-tra coin fer' the P.P. ya' WON'T be disappointed!!! :wink: :wink:

Good Fishin' To All, & To All a Good Night!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Cyber Out!!! 8) 8) 8)
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'm a fan of Power Pro as well.... :wink:

For clear water conditions you may want to tie on a flouro leader...I've tried it.....other than pike bite offs....it works.. :D

RJ
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Buzzer »

Power Pro will also save you money because IMO you don't have to change the line as often. As mono tends to tangle up over time my power pro has not done this.

Heck I used the same line on one rod from spring last year up until this weekend. Never could do this with mono, not even close.

And yeh.... I've pulled up some big chunks of wood too... think you could break your rod before you'll break your line sometimes!

Buzzer
Leakyboot
Participant
Participant

Post by Leakyboot »

I've been very disappointed in Trilene this year as well. I like to buy the 1000 yard spools. What with six or seven rods to spool, I find it the most efficient way to go. However, my line seems to get cloudy and then useless as sewing thread after only a couple or three outings.

If I could locate Stren in the large spools, that would probably be the end of Trilene on my boat. Anyone know where, or if, I can get this in Ottawa?

On the PowerPro side, I have that on my Muskie gear (90lbs)and on one of my baitcasters(20lbs.). Breaking the line is the least of my concerns there. However, Powerpro is not always a good replacement for mono in my humble opinion. Sometimes you want stretch.

At $20.00 per spool, you might think it expensive. However, considering that I can get a couple of seasons out of it, it is actually cheaper than popping $6.00 three or four times a season for mono. At least, that's what I rationalized to the wife. :)

later,

Leakyboot
squig69
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by squig69 »

ive spooled up 2 spinning rod with Stren Clear Blue (10#) this spring and and just "hate" the stuff. the lightest of snags and the line would snap. after a break off if i ran my fingers down the line from the rod tip to the end you could feel the fraying in the line down to where the break off happenned. the wife had a nice sized bass (2#+ range) break her off at boat side and i havent heard the end of it since then. she said that i put crappy line on her rod just so i could catch all the fish :oops: :oops:

re-spooled with trylene xl (8#) and havent had any problems since.
my 2 cents.

chris
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

she said that i put crappy line on her rod just so i could catch all the fish
Exact same thing Theresa said, after she lost two monster bass in a row at Quinte last summer...

She's been using braided ever since....and seems to outfish me constantly...

i personally use braided on almost all my reels, but in many situations, i run long flourocarbon leads....
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

I use Trilene Sensation and Iron Silk and have never had a problem.

Cheers,

Scott
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

I use Trilene Sensation and Iron Silk and have never had a problem.

Cheers,

Scott
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

I use Stren Super Braid in 8, 20 or 50lb test. I swear by it, Saskette swears at it. To each their own...
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

saskie wrote:I use Stren Super Braid in 8, 20 or 50lb test. I swear by it, Saskette swears at it. To each their own...
And all this time I thought it was you she was swearing at :lol: :lol:
Lovefishing33
Participant
Participant

Post by Lovefishing33 »

I have used different makes for the past 10years and I agree that Trilene tends to break but it is better then the others overall. You must remember to check the line everytime you catch a fish incase it has been wraped up in the weeds and/or the rocks. Remember if the line is damaged re-tie it is one way to help prevent the line from snapping. Using the heavier lines 20lb + is an option the only problem is that it interfers with the smooth casting performance. I also agree with the other posts about using braided line it is almost impossible to break. Braided line is very sensitive and strong. I use both now.

Good luck I hope this helps :)
Sheldon Yuke
Participant
Participant

Post by Sheldon Yuke »

Thanks everyone, I am going to try the Powerpro on the linecounter for trolling and am going to the 8 lb stren for my spinning rig.
Thanks and tight lines.
Sheldon